• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Lets discuss the /players 8 command please

asheley

Aug 15, 2005
tennessee
Lets discuss the /players 8 command please

What is benefits of using this?
When should you start using it?
Does it give better drops all the time?
Does it take affect immediately when you change /players in a game?

Mage11

Jun 22, 2003
Perth, Western Australia
It basically simulates an eight player game.

Monsters get more hit points, and give more experience and are more likely to drop an item when you kill them.

It takes effect on all monsters spawned after the change, which may be one or two screens away if you are out of town.

It is easy enough to start using from Act 1 Normal, and can become quite difficult in Hell difficulty.

Xasis

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
asheley said:

U get much more exp, change of getting better drops are higher and yes it takes effect inmediately, but u cannot switch to players 8 when u already have seen a monster that was already "spawned" at players 1 for example..

sirpoopsalot

May 24, 2005
dranking tequila
asheley said:

1. Monster hitpoints and XP are increased 450%, see #3
2. Definitely use this in normal, for as long as you can kill things easily, then drop to lower settings for higher difficulties
3. It does not give better drops. It does decrease the chance that nothing will drop.
4. Monsters that have already spawned will retain their existing hitpoints/xp, but they will have the item drops adjusted when they are killed.

cheers,
'poops

Edit: too slow again :D

Edit2: FYI, the decreased chance that nothing will drop is the same for /players7 and 8, /players5 and 6, etc. down to /p1 & /p2.

Cormallon

Oct 11, 2004
Europe
Benefits: you get more drops (the nodrop chance is reduced), and you get more experience from a monster, thus you are levelling much faster early on.

When to start... well, that depends. I usually use it from the very beginning to get a few levels and skills very quickly. Later, when your level is much higher than the llevel of the monsters, I sometimes reduce it again because you don't get much exp anymore because of the level difference. Just going for more items isn't a good idea, since the drawback is: monsters also get more health by raising the player settings and thus are harder to kill.

It takes effect immediately, but only for monster that aren't spawned already. Those that are around you when you change the player setting aren't affected (up to a range of about two screens away).

Dec 7, 2003
holland
Visit site
sirpoopsalot said:
4. Monsters that have already spawned will retain their existing hitpoints/xp, but they will have the item drops adjusted when they are killed.
actually, they will not, or at least actbosses will not.
This has been tried and tested by me and some other people, when spawned on /players 1 bosses will drop like /players 1 (it seems logical that this also aplies to normal monsters but then again diablo and logic do not always go hand in hand :p)

WayWardSoul

Jun 3, 2005
nebraska
copied and pasted from http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126761

Gameplay stuff

Q: players 8 doesn't work...

A: All the in-game commands are now prefixed with a forward slash, '/', to fit in better with Bnet's commands (hss). So you now use /players 8.

This also applies to any other chat commands you may use, such as /fps.

Q: What's /players 8 do?

A: The command sets the number of 'players' in-game. It can be any number from the number of players in-game to 8.

It affects drops (more items drop), and also adds 50% per extra player to Experience and HP of all monsters that have not yet spawned. So with 8 players they have 450% HP but give 450% Experience.

Crudesash68

Jun 25, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Visit site
I actually prefer to play at level 1, throughout. The skills you gain quicker aren't really necessary at lower levels, although there are exceptions. You definitely want to be at level 30 before facing Diablo, so unless you are doing full clears, you'll need the /players x command at some point, and as noted, the earlier the better. The game goes much quicker, naturally, at p1. To give you an example, I have played a few untwinked HC characters, and did all my play at level 1. After defeating NM Baal (this was with doing full clears, no reruns in any areas), my level was high 60's; I think my HC Zon was at level 68. I have also played a few twinked characters. I played a Blizzsorc that did all Normal and Nightmare at Players 8, and ran about the same way as the HC characters, and her level after NM was only 73, IIRC.

I have also found that on Players 8, you will completely fill your stash and inventory with chipped gems before you get the cube, unless of course you mule them off. My chars average between 60-70 chippies by the time I get to Radament. Just some useless information, free of charge.

Steve

asheley

Aug 15, 2005
tennessee
this is one difference i have noticed so far.

Crudesash68 said:
I actually prefer to play at level 1, throughout. The skills you gain quicker aren't really necessary at lower levels, although there are exceptions. You definitely want to be at level 30 before facing Diablo, so unless you are doing full clears, you'll need the /players x command at some point, and as noted, the earlier the better. The game goes much quicker, naturally, at p1. To give you an example, I have played a few untwinked HC characters, and did all my play at level 1. After defeating NM Baal (this was with doing full clears, no reruns in any areas), my level was high 60's; I think my HC Zon was at level 68. I have also played a few twinked characters. I played a Blizzsorc that did all Normal and Nightmare at Players 8, and ran about the same way as the HC characters, and her level after NM was only 73, IIRC.

I have also found that on Players 8, you will completely fill your stash and inventory with chipped gems before you get the cube, unless of course you mule them off. My chars average between 60-70 chippies by the time I get to Radament. Just some useless information, free of charge.

Steve
There is less gems on /p 1 then when ya play on battlenet,and your statement just reminded me of that.On bnet,i always had more gems then i knew what to do with,in sp i have had tons less. Of course i am just 10 on my sorc i been working on tonight,and i started her on the /p8 changed over to /p 1 halfway through,i am doing something weird with her i think (aka erm probably messing her up lol) Funny thing is tonight on /p8 i got no yellows at all. #When i switched to /p1 i got like 3 so far.

TheJarulf

Banned
Jan 4, 2005
Slartibartfast said:
actually, they will not, or at least actbosses will not.
This has been tried and tested by me and some other people, when spawned on /players 1 bosses will drop like /players 1 (it seems logical that this also aplies to normal monsters but then again diablo and logic do not always go hand in hand :p)

Actually, the count of the number of people in the game and the application of the /players X command is done on item creation. This is discussed in this thread:

http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356411

Drandimere

Feb 20, 2004
asheley said:

I don't believe that anyone has pointed this out yet... but, you can simulate anything up to an 8 player game. So, you can do /players 3 if you want to simulate 3 players. 8 is the max and obviously you are in a 1 player game when you start by yourself automatically.

As far as when to use it - everyone is a bit different - it mostly depends on survivability of the particular build you are playing - how fast you can kill without being killed yourself. I like to simulate 5 players in normal and nightmare - entering Hell at clvl 70. I drop down to /players 3 in Hell until I hit level 80 - by then I am finished with all my quests - then I start to MF at /players 1.

It's already been said that increased players settings decrease the chance of "no drop" so, in effect, more items will drop. However, it has been recently discovered that you should play with "odd" numbered games since the "math" calculations view 1 player and 2 players the same... 3 and 4 players the same, etc - but this is only in regards to drops. So, if you are concerned with drops - stick with settings at 1,3,5, or 7.

Llathias

Banned
Mar 12, 2005
Turkey
TheJarulf said:
Actually, the count of the number of people in the game and the application of the /players X command is done on item creation. This is discussed in this thread:

http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356411
Didn't you yourself said that the game fetches the /players number that's active at the time of monster creation? in Post 76, Thrugg comments on your suggestion and in Post 77, RTB verifies it with a test mod.

maybe i should post in the above linked thread, but when is Baal spawned? in the Throne Room or the World Stone Chamber?

on the initial question, i prefer p1 unless the killing time is not increasing proportionally with the player setting (e.g. 1 hit killing at p5). i can level running bosses, with more rewards.

lone_wolf

Jun 25, 2003
sweden
what i miss in 1.11 (and missed in 1.10) is the ability to play on a players setting way above 8. But of course it was a bit crazy:D

Drandimere

Feb 20, 2004
Llathias said:
maybe i should post in the above linked thread, but when is Baal spawned? in the Throne Room or the World Stone Chamber?

I'd like a definite answer to that question too. However, from the number of Baal runs that I have done - I'm 99% sure that Baal "spawns" once you go through the portal and enter the World Stone Chamber.

I only say that because I have done 100 runs on "players 1" and another 100 runs switching to "players 3" after defeating Lister & Co, but before entering the Chamber. On pure players 1 I would see at least one "no drop" (less than 6 items dropping) about every 2 to 3 runs. However, if I switched to players 3 before entering the Chamber, I don't recall ever seeing a "no drop".

Llathias

Banned
Mar 12, 2005
Turkey
i'd also like to know about the properties of resurrected monsters (fallen, fetish, prowling dead) if the player setting is changed while they're dead.

and say a barbarian killed a whole group at players 1. would he benefit from converting to players 8 before horking?

Mage11

Jun 22, 2003
Perth, Western Australia
That's quite easy to test - best to use cows & compare your rates of horking - hork from say 80 or 100 cows on p1 & see how many items you get from the horking. Then switch to p7 and try. I'd test it for you, but my horker died.

TrubbaNot

Jun 21, 2005
Midwest US
jiansonz said:
Horking has a fixed chance of success. Look at the skill button.
But when you do a successful hork, does the number of itamz increase with the p level? Meaning, on p/1 you pop one rejuv no chance for more, but on p/8 you have a chance to pop rejuv, gold, and sword in one fell hork?