• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Last Wish zerker

kingkoala

Banned
Jun 29, 2005
US East
Last Wish zerker

I've been reading the baba forum for a while and mostly the only axes I hear talked about are ebotd zerker's and griefs. I was wondering what you guys think of the Last Wish z. I am in the middle of making a PvP barb with this weap. Mine is 367%, 112-331 damage, lvl 17 might aura, and the big thing 69% crushing blow. I'm also gonna be using a fort and 394% ed Phoenix monarch instead of a Stormshield, for added damage.

I'm wondering if this is at least better than ebotdz and comparable to Grief? Or am I way off. This is my best item probably and I don't have a Grief so I'm pretty set in stone on making the barb with it. So what do you think about Last Wish? Is it as good as it is valuable?

JanusJones

Feb 10, 2005
St. Louis, MO, USA
kingkoala said:
I've been reading the baba forum for a while and mostly the only axes I hear talked about are ebotd zerker's and griefs. I was wondering what you guys think of the Last Wish z. I am in the middle of making a PvP barb with this weap. Mine is 367%, 112-331 damage, lvl 17 might aura, and the big thing 69% crushing blow. I'm also gonna be using a fort and 394% ed Phoenix monarch instead of a Stormshield, for added damage.

I'm wondering if this is at least better than ebotdz and comparable to Grief? Or am I way off. This is my best item probably and I don't have a Grief so I'm pretty set in stone on making the barb with it. So what do you think about Last Wish? Is it as good as it is valuable?

The big problem for a barb is the lack of IAS - it makes for a VERY slow attack, which means overall FAR less damage/sec.

I have one too, and am a little dissapointed as well about their uses!

kingkoala

Banned
Jun 29, 2005
US East
Damn it seem like everyone wants one too. I guess they are overrated for Babas because we don't get IAS to help Whirlwind other than on the actual weap. Probably a godly weapon for a Zealer though...

JanusJones

Feb 10, 2005
St. Louis, MO, USA
kingkoala said:
Damn it seem like everyone wants one too. I guess they are overrated for Babas because we don't get IAS to help Whirlwind other than on the actual weap. Probably a godly weapon for a Zealer though...

I've posted on a max-damage Zealer with Last Wish, Fortitude, and Phoenix on the Pally forum - you can hit 4 fps and reach over +1660% enhanced damage. Sexy, ain't it?

Omikron8

Jun 28, 2003
Lack of IAS
not indestructible
aura is made obsolete by might mercenary
chance to cast effects are not worth 6 expensive runes

death > last wish

Omikron8

Jun 28, 2003
JanusJones said:
I've posted on a max-damage Zealer with Last Wish, Fortitude, and Phoenix on the Pally forum - you can hit 4 fps and reach over +1660% enhanced damage. Sexy, ain't it?

Yes and with a might merc and death ettin/zerker you could hit even higher, and have way more deadly strike at the same time.

so........

Locke07

Dec 27, 2004
Ohio
Last Wish is very expensive, but I use to think that it sucks because it has no inheriant IAS, but that was before I discovered the frenzy barb. This is the end all be all weapon for a frenzy barb. PVM this weapon blows away anything in site. The crushing blow is just godly for the uber quest. Last wish shines where you get outside IAS to work for you such as the move itself. Zeal and frenzy are the two most used but I am sure if i thought about it I could find more skills in which it would be a good weapon.

Omikron8

Jun 28, 2003
Is there not a damn soul here who remembers that MERCS CAN HAVE MIGHT !?

What are you going to pick some other merc instead, for example holy freeze merc? Sorry doom makes that obsolete and if you can afford last wish then doom should be pocket change to you

So i pay 3-4x the amount compared to death to get a whole 10-20% more crushing blow, LESS damage, NO deadly strike and a bunch of chance to cast effects that i can easily get from other equipment slots? Damn sign me up

Damnit if blizzard wanted to make last wish truly godly they would have given it pride's level 20 conc aura instead of some worthless level 18 might aura

TheDarkSide

Clan Officer - US East Hardcore
Dec 20, 2003
DFW Texas
My only question is why this is even a conversation only 2 weeks into the ladder ? The Runes needed for these weapons should not even be found yet . Ohh wait - I forgot blizzards policy on no hacks doesnt apply to runes or Ebay I guess .

Zalcitabine

Feb 3, 2005
Montréal
Omikron8 said:

What are you going to pick some other merc instead, for example holy freeze merc? Sorry doom makes that obsolete and if you can afford last wish then doom should be pocket change to you

So i pay 3-4x the amount compared to death to get a whole 10-20% more crushing blow, LESS damage, NO deadly strike and a bunch of chance to cast effects that i can easily get from other equipment slots? Damn sign me up

Damnit if blizzard wanted to make last wish truly godly they would have given it pride's level 20 conc aura instead of some worthless level 18 might aura

Omg i would love to be like you...everything seems so easy to understand... :rolleyes:

Seriously...yes thats true last wish doesn't have ias, deadly strike and cost alot of orts and/or gold to repair...but by having alot of VERY useful stats on it (prevent monster heal, ITD, ctc fade-life tap-charged bolt, almost all the cb you need, some mf...) it makes it really easier to twink your character for some specific uses. I have it on my über-hunting zealot, so i can use laying of hand instead of drakuls and HoZ instead of exile...i get more speed, more damage to demons and more resists plus the other great HoZ mods that exile doesnt have. I just switch between last wish and death depending of what i"m doing at the moment.

And speaking of resists, lvl 11 fade gives a whopping 56% bonus...plus 11% damage reduction. And let me tell you it triggers quite fast with those pesky skelly mages summoned by über-meph...So to round it up, maybe last wish doesn't look good on paper but it keeps you alive and gets the job done, like killing hell baal in about 5 seconds...oh and you should see how my defiance merc kick butts with my fanatism/might auras, something in the range of 10k damage.

Also, i'm quite tired of seeing you flaming and looking down on just about every people you reply to their thread...You seems to have good knowledge about the game but that doesnt allow you to be mean in any manner. Remember, theses are gaming forums, no need to prove anything here...Have you actually tried for a while all those weapons on the same character?? You are a non-ladder player, if i remember correctly...

Zalc

Taz

Aug 7, 2003
Bucuresti
Visit site
Locke07 said:
Last Wish is very expensive, but I use to think that it sucks because it has no inheriant IAS, but that was before I discovered the frenzy barb. This is the end all be all weapon for a frenzy barb.
Agreed, i think it makes the ultimate pvm frenzy left hand weapon due to cb, and ctc fade&lifetap. Might too - u can use other merc type.

Omikron8

Jun 28, 2003
Prevent Monster Heal? When you're using last wish or death and doing close to 10k damage a second with either i think the last thing on your mind is a monster's life regen. As for tristram bosses it doesn't even work on them.

It lets you avoid using exile on a zealot pally? I have never used exile on any pally period, that runeword was built for pvp. It has no enhanced block and no bonus resists which are the main reasons for using a shield. As for substituting for dracul's on a zealot/frenzy barb why would you? You likely don't need the IAS and a zealot can kill far faster with mods such as static field + crushing blow than lots of physical damage.

Fade? Resistances are laughably easy to stack for any build in expansion

11% Damage reduction? Life > Damage reduction in 1.10/1.11

I still can't get a straight answer why a runeword that is made obsolete by a might merc and is not indestructible costs 4-5x as much as another one that performs as well or even better (death).

Zalcitabine

Feb 3, 2005
Montréal
Omikron8 said:
It lets you avoid using exile on a zealot pally? I have never used exile on any pally period, that runeword was built for pvp. It has no enhanced block and no bonus resists which are the main reasons for using a shield.

Getting max block on exile with holy shield is easy and takes not much dexterity. Also white pally shields can have up to 45 resist, which isn't that bad. And who cares if you have never used exile on any pally period, that runeword was built for pvp, if some people want to use it pvm then why not. I didnt know too that a runeword with lifetap was built for pvp :lol:
The reasons for using a shield are that you can block 3/4 of all physical attacks (if going for max block) and/or have resists and skills etc.

As for substituting for dracul's on a zealot/frenzy barb why would you? You likely don't need the IAS and a zealot can kill far faster with mods such as static field + crushing blow than lots of physical damage.

Because they are other gloves with great mods...And also because that even if dracul are without a doubt the easiest/cheapest way to have ctc life tap, that chance is only 5%. Exile has 15% and that difference is a huge advantage, anyone who tried both can tell. I didnt know too that zealots dont need IAS. Sure you dont need much with a botdz or a grief pb..but with a slower weapon like death/last wish you need IAS, unless you wanna be struck at 7fpa. Also, speed + damage=constant leech= stay alive. Static + crushing blow = big damage but no leech= potentially big trouble.

Fade? Resistances are laughably easy to stack for any build in expansion

Of course. Strap on stuff like moser's, gloom armor and veil of steel. You will have lots of resists but probably no other good mods like skills, life/mana, damage reduction, FCR...There isn't alot of items/runewords that gives resists AND other good stuff. By the way, how are your resists with über-meph aura?

11% Damage reduction? Life > Damage reduction in 1.10/1.11

Again you oversimplify things. That will depend what kind character and what you do with him. For melee pvp most people will go for max damage reduction. Sure, alot of monsters even in hell do puny physical damage so you dont need dr as much as resists. But some monsters can dish out alot of damage, like lilith. She can kill my 4.2k life barbarian with 10dr in about 3 hits, maybe 2.

I still can't get a straight answer why a runeword that is made obsolete by a might merc and is not indestructible costs 4-5x as much as another one that performs as well or even better (death)

Maybe thats just because you can't listen to others. As i said in my previous post last wish has a ton of really useful mods on the SAME weapon. Sure you can take all those mods one at a time and compare them with something else and see that it sux. But twinking your character is so much easier with last wish because it already have most of what you need.

Finally, as for the actual "cheapness" of death, sorry but you are damn wrong. Sure, the runes are vex and gul compared to 3xjah, mal, sur and ber. But lastwish is made in a normal non-ethereal zerker (did i say cheap?) and most people will make their death in a 5os ethereal zerker. Now, if you can find a 5os ethereal zerker for less than 2 hrs, then congrats :thumbsup: . If not, you can make it in an ettin axe but you dont want an even slower weapon for a runeword with no IAS, dont you?

Zalc

Omikron8

Jun 28, 2003
And that is why i made my death in an ethereal ettin, which has a max of 5 sockets, no need to give up multiple ists just to get a damn ethereal 5 sock zerker. On a frenzy barb this base 10 speed doesn't matter as long as the ettin is not in the right hand, and on a zealot even a 5 fps death zeal would be godly.

Edit- And in season two an ethereal 5 socket zerker didn't cost 3-4 high runes which is how much more i would have to pay to make last wish compared to death.

I also keep stating that these "extra mods" you describe on the last wish are not worth so many extra high runes and do not have such a great impact on other equipment slots as you claim if i use death instead. I would never pick any merc besides an act 2 merc for any character due to the horribly incompetent AI and pathetic damage of the other 3 merc possibilities. I would also never pick any merc for a physical damage character besides a might merc because damage is king and many builds need as much damage as they can scavenge in 1.10/1.11. One can argue that two last wish weapons would give a level 30+ might but then the frenzy barb would swing damn slow due to both weapons being base 0-10 with no IAS. Taking this into account the death is simply much more superior in damage output with the ethereal indestructibility and 40%+ (at level 80+) deadly strike, losing only 10-20% cb to last wish.

newerest

Jan 28, 2005
Houston, Texas
netbux.org
Omikron8 said:

*Cough* Holy freeze merc holding Pride....

I think it is a *very* nice weapon. I don't like death all too much because ds can be gotten from other items..

DevilsWrath

Aug 29, 2004
help me to understand this. Whats so good about pride for a merc, the runeword offers no %ed whatsoever or are u basically talking about a merc that gives you 2 damage auras? And since he's talkin about using a last wish zerker in pvp for his barb, why would he need a merc anyways, it would do no good cause mercs die so easy in pvp it seems. Just imagine how fast he'd die in bvb duels or melee duels...

newerest

Jan 28, 2005
Houston, Texas
netbux.org
Hmm...if this is for PvP, then the might from the last wish would actually help him...instead of using a might merc.

Omikron8 said:
*Cough*

Might merc using pride, even better

Yeah...and make the might from the last wish really useless. They won't stack....the merc's would be the only one on, considering the merc will be a semi-high level.

DevilsWrath said:
help me to understand this. Whats so good about pride for a merc, the runeword offers no %ed whatsoever or are u basically talking about a merc that gives you 2 damage auras? And since he's talkin about using a last wish zerker in pvp for his barb, why would he need a merc anyways, it would do no good cause mercs die so easy in pvp it seems. Just imagine how fast he'd die in bvb duels or melee duels...

Pride offers concentration, level 18 iirc, and 20% deadly strike. Combined with your might, the merc would be doing a great deal of damage. With level 18 conc, that is +315% damage. I hardly consider Pride a weapon without any ed%.

Also, I doubt a zealer with drac's and last wish would die easily. So much life tap.

However....a barb with last wish...hmm. Last wish is still a very nice weapon.