• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Ladder vs Non Ladder

xTheDarknessx

May 28, 2005
Ladder vs Non Ladder

i dunno, but i always junk my Ladder-to-NL chars...even though they have all the high end rw/items.

i guess it's my competitiveness...i always have to compete. like...if i think about it..other than ladder only items there's no difference. maybe the economy a bit..but gameplay wise it's not much different.

ladder 1 and 2 all had good pvmers and pvpers.....yet i junk them...

what are you takes on my syndrome?

tctuner

Jul 6, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
yea i have the same issue. i was going to give my godly necro gear away to a newb and then i thought...........i worked my butt off to get this so i didnt. once season 3 gets in full swing ill start deleting characters.

SirDooFuss

Jul 18, 2003
Sunny California
Even though I play almost exclusively ladder, I tend to be a pack-rat. Last week I started clearing out my some of my old characters and dropping stuff in "free" games, including 2 full 1.09 tal sets (w/o the partial set bonuses). I looked over the skill distributions in some of these characters and .... OMG!!! HORRIBLE!!!
I'll keep what I consider "good" but continue consolidating and dumping my non ladder chars as I play the new ladder.

Darnoc

Jan 20, 2005
Chicago Burbs
Just so you guys know, it is possible to trade your items and good runewords for sojs, and then trade NL sojs for ladder high runes; some people need a certain thing on NL and will just give you a good ladder deal for your items too. I must have done at least 5-6 NL to L trades in the past 4 months. Of course with the new torches out, dclone hunters will diminsh and there wont be as strong of a demand for NL sojs anymore.. but you never know when someone will post a L to NL trade thread.

MickRaider

Banned
Aug 3, 2005
Darnoc said:
Of course with the new torches out, dclone hunters will diminsh and there wont be as strong of a demand for NL sojs anymore.. but you never know when someone will post a L to NL trade thread.
I think there will still be a huge demand for Annihilus's though. So D clone will likely pick up in popularity again. Why have just 3 skills in 2 when you can have 4 in 3?

rykuss

Banned
Aug 15, 2004
Running the deserts of Athas.
I deleted all my chars when i got home last night and started over. I had considered keeping them as i have 3 empty accounts but then i had to think of new names for my new chars. After awhile of playing i thought about how i left non ladder in the first place and why. Ladder keeps me playing pretty much, i'm not necessarily competing for a spot on the ladder. I like the challenge of starting over again from nothing.

This past ladder i came a long way for only being on it for three months, this ladder should be more interesting. Good luck with whatever you decide to do though, for me i just didn't want the burden of keeping up with non and ladder chars and items. :thumbsup:

Sh4dovv

Banned
May 19, 2004
Australia!
NL has so much more competitive dueling.

if u want dueling, go NL

if u want to struggle to build chars, if that actually appeals to u, go ladder

Merick

Jun 22, 2003
Fractal Land, Nebraska
www.xanga.com
Sh4dovv said:
NL has so much more competitive dueling.

if u want dueling, go NL

if u want to struggle to build chars, if that actually appeals to u, go ladder

"Omg noob yur blizz suks, don't u have 40x [hacked charms]?"
"40 zods for your death cleaver"
"I'll go get my level 90 hammerdin to get us there in 10 seconds"

vs.

"Hey guys I found izzy, over here."
"Ok necro, keep the amp going, and keep staticing sorc."
"Hey druid, you need this +tornado helm?"

Sh4dovv

Banned
May 19, 2004
Australia!
Merick said:
"Omg noob yur blizz suks, don't u have 40x [hacked charms]?"
"40 zods for your death cleaver"
"I'll go get my level 90 hammerdin to get us there in 10 seconds"

vs.

"Hey guys I found izzy, over here."
"Ok necro, keep the amp going, and keep staticing sorc."
"Hey druid, you need this +tornado helm?"
1st option plz :yep:

you can keep ur featherweight division

kberger

Nov 5, 2004
wisconsin
I'm playing non-ladder for now, but I much prefer ladder. My beef is how do I trade for decent, but not godly items? Let's say I want a shako, or shaftstop or something like that. On ladder it's simple, pul rune. On non ladder, as far as I can tell, there is no "currency" for decent but not godly items.

"I've been rich, I've been poor. Rich is better."

But I will jump over to ladder and start from scratch one of these days.

Ismalia

Jul 18, 2005
East Coast, USA
I love the Ladder. I tried playing NL for awhile but 1) the drops sucked and 2) I love the Ladder only items!

That and I've found in general, Ladder is a more cordial place, many more players looking to help others out without a second thought.

I don't even care about my place on the Ladder, I just prefer a more closed playing field.

Oh, I wouldn't call a lvl99 Ladder char a featherweight either. Not only due to the character's ability, but the player's ability because they had to earn each level and item, meaning no cheats, no dupes, no hacks thus...a smarter player.*

*no offense meant to any NL who plays fair, of course!!

Volvagia

Jun 20, 2005
North Carolina
I prefer dueling on NL, but actually playing on L. Only reason my chars are even still in existance. I got my BvA outfitted with all the Ladder only stuff he needed (anything else can be found/made/traded for on NL), and I duel with him, since well, 60% of Ladder duelists are an embarrassment to their chars. I play ladder just for the fun of everyone starting over untwinked.

misterlinno

Aug 2, 2005
This new ladder season is so much fun for me now questing every act WITHOUT being rushed by an uber high level and finding gear myself that would suck on nonladder but make me giddy on ladder (gravenspine and pchancies). Its all a matter of perspective really but after playing non-ladder for a while, this ladder season, starting off fresh and new, seems so much more worthwhile and has really got me back into the game.