• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Ladder Mystery ¿

Ãœber

Aug 12, 2005
Act 5
Ladder Mystery ¿

For me, i cant live without twinking my characters. Untwinked sounds fun too but, to me its all about competition.

I have a friend who was one of the top 5 in the ladder when season 2 ended, and he had some of the best gear, its not like he remade either, it was his first character.

So right now, im wondering how people can build a character to such high levels, get the best gear, and eventually get rich to build nice runewords like death and destruction, which on ladder costs you an arm, before people who started non ladder 1 month earlier.

i would say for a first character on ladder build a one tree sorc to mf on meph, but for people like Imbred(top WEST L character/assasin ATM)who build other characters how do they do it?..

Its been a mystery to me...

arkael

Jul 10, 2003
you dont need awesome equip to run baal and level quickly, but killing him drops you the items you'll want anyway.

Leohappy

Mar 26, 2005
Slovenia
What's so mysterious about it? There are many good runewords that use common runes. With just a few visits to nm countess I was able to make lore, rhyme, stealth, spirit and insight.

Lordjim

Jun 23, 2003
The way i build every character is put points on nothing but vitality till I get my end game gear. This takes alot of pachents and time but by using stringth belts, rings and amulets as well as hold onto every strength charm you ever get you can do it very easealy, the key is having the first character be a MFer and item gather. A caster is best 4 this if you never want to rebuild, sorcer, necro , traper, hammerdin, or windy are bext IMHO. A bow amazon can work too but you have to waist points in dex to use any desent bow!

I personally use the necro, summoner/bone spear, my necro last ladder was 93 and had 370 unused stat points. He never died and had only used points on vitality but had max resistances in hell, many strength charms, and a godly merc! Another nice build is a frozen orb sorcer with max telekensis and ES. I made one last season that got to lvl 90 and had 250 points left, I had only used points on energy and she was a sweet tank. A nice merc with insight is also required here but the bid thing is patients and smart point distribution. All my guys are always slated 4 pvp but if they work good 4 MFing then its a bonus.

I hope I did not rambel to much and this helps some.

GL

Jim

Ãœber

Aug 12, 2005
Act 5
Lordjim said:
The way i build every character is put points on nothing but vitality till I get my end game gear. This takes alot of pachents and time but by using stringth belts, rings and amulets as well as hold onto every strength charm you ever get you can do it very easealy, the key is having the first character be a MFer and item gather. A caster is best 4 this if you never want to rebuild, sorcer, necro , traper, hammerdin, or windy are bext IMHO. A bow amazon can work too but you have to waist points in dex to use any desent bow!

I personally use the necro, summoner/bone spear, my necro last ladder was 93 and had 370 unused stat points. He never died and had only used points on vitality but had max resistances in hell, many strength charms, and a godly merc! Another nice build is a frozen orb sorcer with max telekensis and ES. I made one last season that got to lvl 90 and had 250 points left, I had only used points on energy and she was a sweet tank. A nice merc with insight is also required here but the bid thing is patients and smart point distribution. All my guys are always slated 4 pvp but if they work good 4 MFing then its a bonus.

I hope I did not rambel to much and this helps some.

GL

Jim

i was thinking about summoners/ hammerdins for a good first character, that would also be fun. But without a breast enigma, these builds dont shine.

I guess what im really looking for the answer to is, how do ladder players make such a huge profit so fast?

Leohappy said:
What's so mysterious about it? There are many good runewords that use common runes. With just a few visits to nm countess I was able to make lore, rhyme, stealth, spirit and insight.

Its just something ive been wondering for a long time ;-;

Omikron8

Jun 28, 2003
Blizz sorc to farm nightmare meph

then

strafezon to farm hell pit for socketables

yes it is THAT fast

Ãœber

Aug 12, 2005
Act 5
Omikron8 said:

then

yes it is THAT fast

yes but, try that in one character other then a sorc? untwinked, no enigma?

muzyk

Aug 13, 2005
Toronto Canada
Omikron8 said:

then

yes it is THAT fast

my lvl 81 blizz sorc can farm hell meph in under 4 mins and that includes looking for those damn stairs to durance of hate 3 which i hate looking for sooo much

carnivore

Aug 2, 2005
bremen, germany
first character: wake of fire/death sentry assa, lvl 77 now. did some normal countess runs at level 25 for leaf, nadir and stealth (and potentially some others i didnt make).
made nadir and stealth in exceptional items after playing a while in nightmare after i playes through nightmare and did some leveling, i did lots of countess/travi/eldritch/schenk runs with an occasional diablo or baal.
if you collect all flawless gems, keep the cheaper crafting recipes in mind (especially caster amus), take everthing that will earn you decent gold with you and gamble for jewelry, look out for items that are suitable for the usual runewords and powershop for certain things (+skill assa-claws a good staff for leaf like the +3 fireball that i bought), you cant fail to get some "wealth".

second char: my level 75 sorc, currently harvesting the usual areas in act 1 and doesnt have any big troubles and looking especially for socketed elite-items.

next char will be probably a zeal-pala, because i found a baranars yesterday.

Intolerance

Jul 4, 2003
Tampa, FL
www.trueachievements.com
Ãœber said:
I guess what im really looking for the answer to is, how do ladder players make such a huge profit so fast?

They play A LOT. Hours upon hours of Boss farming for items. I don't get this insatiable need for godly items myself, I mean, the game is ridiculously EASY, even with garbage items (well some classes are very item dependant, like Barbs and Zons (weapon). Yet people spend so much time making a character that can decimate everything with vendor quality gear godly.

Dad Daniel

May 7, 2005
Sofia
To be successfull on the ladder you have to play a LOT! If you want to be in top 10, you have to spend 11 hours at least with nice running party.

One my friend becomes insane every ladder season (EuHCL). In 1.10 S2 at the beggining of the third they after the reset, his Java mfer was equiped with 19x %ed ETH titan, ETH skullders, 3/20 java gloves and etc!!!
In the beggining of day 18 he was with PERFECT gryffon soc with 5/-5 Light facet! :bonk: :bonk:

When i asked him "HOW, man? How do you get this stuff??"

He explains : " Just traded Tal armor for the gryffon +, the jewel i took for soj+little add" ...

Soon after he traded the helm for BERs + ..... :rolleyes:

illa

Dec 27, 2003
Copenhagen
www.illest.dk
First of all to get to a high level, you have to play a lot. Playing a lot = drops. Secondly, if you're the highest level you're probably someone who is doing the fastest runs, = more drops. Thirdly, if you're high level you can easily trade stuff like Shakos etc. for Ist because in the start of the ladder big profits can be made if you're the first to have items.

Personally I don't think it's that weird at all.

Omikron8

Jun 28, 2003
muzyk said:
my lvl 81 blizz sorc can farm hell meph in under 4 mins and that includes looking for those damn stairs to durance of hate 3 which i hate looking for sooo much

True but can your sorc find a lot of nice elite socketables off of mephisto? I think high magic find may have something to say about that :)

Also due to the fact of everyone having mf sorcs and many pindlebotting as well the price of almost every single elite unique/set goes through the floor (um rune worth or below, eg. tal armor = pul) after the first month or so of ladder, while items such as 5 socket berserkers stay valuable the whole time :)

Ãœber

Aug 12, 2005
Act 5
illa said:
First of all to get to a high level, you have to play a lot. Playing a lot = drops. Secondly, if you're the highest level you're probably someone who is doing the fastest runs, = more drops. Thirdly, if you're high level you can easily trade stuff like Shakos etc. for Ist because in the start of the ladder big profits can be made if you're the first to have items.

Personally I don't think it's that weird at all.

I dont understand how being a high level makes you able to trade for stuff easier ?

Anyway... Guys
Guides to like hammerdins and other builds, they require gear which you dont easily find such as... HoZ, wizardspike, ..ect. How do people build one hammerdin, and get that nice gear while also making a perfect build and leveling all at the same time without mfing with a sorc.

Zalcitabine

Feb 3, 2005
Montréal
Omikron8 said:
True but can your sorc find a lot of nice elite socketables off of mephisto? I think high magic find may have something to say about that :)

Also due to the fact of everyone having mf sorcs and many pindlebotting as well the price of almost every single elite unique/set goes through the floor (um rune worth or below, eg. tal armor = pul) after the first month or so of ladder, while items such as 5 socket berserkers stay valuable the whole time :)

I dont agree with you. True, some socketables can be worth something at the start of the season, both only those useful for making runewords that ppl with use at first, like spirit, insight. I dont think someone will be willing to pay a couple of ists or (probably alot) more to get a 4os grand matron bow for the faith he's gonna make in some weeks when he have trouble killing monsters/die easily in hell. "Farming" an unique boss is still the easiest way imho to get the uniques you need or the items to trade for those you need. Most socketables and perfect gems in lots only become great trade goods later in the season.

To über:
That all depend what is your build and what you consider to be the required stuff. If you use a popular build, expect the items you will trade for to have a higher value, thats only supply/demand. If you think you need 500mf and full resists to be able to do something, that will be alot more expensive to get your gear. There are many very fine and very cheap runewords to make, maybe you wont have all the mods you are looking for but at least you wont be struck in hell blood moor.

My light fury/multi amazon use lionheart and rhyme, both of which only cost low/mid runes. They aren't the most incredible runewords out of here but at least she can kill very well and doesnt die every minute or so. Later in the season i will probably try to equip her with faith/coh but at least now i can mf and trade what i find to build up my wealth (this game is all about economics :p).

Just my 2 cents,

Zalc

Fluffballer

May 4, 2005
Uber, you're very spoiled. You don't need Enigma and HoZ and all that stuff. My hammerdin from last season-- far and away my most successful character and only hell Baal runner-- never graduated from his spirit sword he started using at level 25. His end game armor was my most prized possession: Skullder's Ire.

What I find craziest is you say a summoner doesn't shine without Engima. Summoners shine with cracked sashes. And now that I'm sitting her thinking about it, I can't ever imagine a situation where I'd want to teleport with a summoner anyway, except maybe to cross a river in Act 3.

My current ladder character is a level 83 (I think) druid. He's been doing runs in Hell for a while now. Up until a few levels ago his armor wasn't even magical.

All of this is to say you don't need good equipment to magic find.

AnimeCraze

Jul 13, 2005
Vancouver
Check his name, it's Uber. A summoner is not Uber without enigma. It is very decent without, but to reach that godly status of Uber, you need it. :lol:

Edit: A sorc or a hammerdin can do well with stealth and stuff like that. You don't need wizz or enigma.