• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

[L SC] Build suggestion for team play

Earl Grey

Apr 12, 2005
[L SC] Build suggestion for team play

What barb build would you suggest for helping in a team that currently has a two Sorcerers (MeteOrb and a CL/FO), a Fishymancer and a Javazon?

It would be good if this barb build can solo in hell but it's not vital since his main job is likely to be providing BO and tanking in hell baal runs and things like that. This is ladder and we can't expect to give this barb godly stuff.

Locke07

Dec 27, 2004
Ohio
I made a standard Whirl Wind barbarian this ladder. I maxed bo, WW, shout, then my mastery. If you want a cheap build try IK, but I found that it doesn't leach back enough life or mana because the maul lacks high physical damage. I am now using a myth armor in a bolrog plate and a Cresent moon. Also if you do this make sure to put a few points into battle cry, its abilitie to cut enemies defense is nice when your are in hard spots of the game like hell ancietns.

Since you will mainly be tanking and your party will take care of crowds no problem, I would recommend a high damage/CB build. This way you can focus on taking out bosses and single monsters quickly while your party kills all the crowds. Another alternative is a Singer Barb so you can stun everything while your party takes them out. Hopefully this is the type of answer you're looking for.

Earl Grey

Apr 12, 2005
Thanks for the replies! :)

Would this Frenzy build be an ok choice then?

8 Double Swing (back-up attack when mana burned and synergy to Frenzy)
1 Double Throw
20 Frenzy (main attack)
1 Bash
1 Stun
1 Concentrate
1 Berserk (vs PI)

20 Mastery (absolutely no idea which weapon to go with)
1 Iron SKin
1 Natural Resists

1 Howl
1 Shout
1 Taunt
1 Battlecry
20 BO
20 War Cry (for long stun duration)
1 Battle Command

haryon

May 16, 2004
Maybe I'll say something stupid, but this is what I think :

You want BO that's for sure. Shout helps if they all use A2 mercs. Else you want situationnal skills like Taunt to make sure crowds goes to you and not the sorcs, or Howl to clear up around the sorcs. With Meteor you might want to keep people in place.

With a berserker build, and WC you can make sure ennemies stay in place. And you could try and spam taunts to get them to you. But you will have no defense, and that might be a bad idea for tanking :)

With a WW you will pass thru the crowds, possibly stopping to protect the weak mates. So I wouldn't go that route.

With Concentrate, you would be a very good tank, could spam taunts even when already tanking melee mobs.

With Frenzy you will use WC and max Taunt (that helps WC a bit too). You can spam the taunts, reduce a bit their ar (protects yourself). and you can quickly move from spots to spots to save a poor sorcs with a well placed WC. Your tank ability wouldn't be as high as the Concentrate, but with the gold girlies that should be ok.

So I would go with Frenzy.

lucidlore

Jul 25, 2005
Texas
You dont need to max warcry. You only need enough for a 3 second stun or so. Channel the rest into dualwield for the syngery damage bonus.

Earl Grey

Apr 12, 2005
haryon said:
With Frenzy you will use WC and max Taunt (that helps WC a bit too). You can spam the taunts, reduce a bit their ar (protects yourself). and you can quickly move from spots to spots to save a poor sorcs with a well placed WC. Your tank ability wouldn't be as high as the Concentrate, but with the gold girlies that should be ok.

So I would go with Frenzy.

I first considered 20 Taunt, but was not sure the enemy AR and dmg decrease would be worth it, with so many other options open for spending the skill points.

lucidlore said:
You dont need to max warcry. You only need enough for a 3 second stun or so. Channel the rest into dualwield for the syngery damage bonus.

The longer stun would make it easier to play, but the trade-off is perhaps not worth it.

Maybe this assignment would be better than my previous one:
5 Double Swing
15 Taunt
9 War Cry

The barb is in Hell Baal runs now so assigning skill points is getting critical :cool: