• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Just starting new ladder zealer...

Kunivek

Jul 24, 2004
Antartica... where else?
Just starting new ladder zealer...

First off, since i am just starting this new ladder season, i have nothing. And i mean nothing. No runes no gems no nothing (except for my sweet buckler and short sword which are worth a total of 2 gold!). Would it be better for me to be a frost zealot, or just a straight zealot? Here are my possible builds for each of them:

1: thanks Kitriara for this build :)
- 20 Zeal
- 20 Holy Freeze
- 20 Resist Cold
- 20 Salvation
- 5 or more in Holy Shield

2. physical dmg zealer
-1 all prereqs
-20 zeal
-20 sacrifice
-20 fanat
-20 holy shield
-rest in defiance

3. Some other good build that has really good potential for getting good items and beating the game being very poor.

What do you think would be the best? And please dont recommend that i work for a year just to get a BOTD or something rediculous that will never happen. Also, for whichever build you pick, what would be the best, or good items for it?

Kunivek

Jul 24, 2004
Antartica... where else?
Mercs?

I'm leaning towards the physical dmg, straight zealer. Problem with it is that it will be really hard for me to find a good enough weapon to do well... unlike with the frost zealot where i could get away with a less expensive weapon. Another problem though is that if i create the frost zealot, when i get to hell, almost all of the enemies will be cold immune... What do i do! Please help me... Also what merc should i get... maybe blessed aim?

Jul 27, 2005
non eth runemaster shael shael it and put some leach pskulls?
Baranar star? quadriple damage physical/trimental 1-200 per element.? shael it?
use holyfreez merc.
oh yea against PI. i just use conversion LOL and run away from them. (sceptar with conversion so u dont have to put any points to vengeance+conversion.)

Von

Nov 1, 2003
Im running a zealadin right now.

Im running the physical version right now, and Im doing fine with Baraners star. It only cost me a some low runes, ones from spirit which Ive already gotten back. It seems to work fine. Youll want a healthy portion of lifeleech, but you only need a small amount of mana leech to work with, as Zeal is incredibly cheap. Holy sheild is very important. i was having problems surviving until I got into the habit of keeping the sheild up. At level 4 right now it gives them almost 20% less chance to hit and me another 20+ % chance to block.

Watch out for Iron Maiden enemies. If you are mid zeal when they cast, you die. No way of stopping it.

Evrae Altana

Aug 13, 2005
Rubby Ducky
First off, since i am just starting this new ladder season, i have nothing. And i mean nothing. No runes no gems no nothing (except for my sweet buckler and short sword which are worth a total of 2 gold!). Would it be better for me to be a frost zealot, or just a straight zealot?
I recommend a frost zealot that uses crushing blow. Super cheap to make and very effective! For gear, just use whatever has crushing blow on it. Here are some cheap options:

Weapon: Crushflange(40%cb)-upgrade to exceptional later
"Black" Runeword(40%cb)
Helmet: Guilliame's Face (35%cb)-Has +str and deadly strike to go with it
Armor: Rattlecage(25%cb)
"Duress" Runeword(15%cb)-might be a bit expensive for now
Boots: Goblin Toe(25%cb)
Gore Riders-(15%cb)
This setup would supply a large amount of crushing blow, enabling you to take down enemies very fast. Of course, as you get richer, there are even more items that have crushing blow on them.

Another problem though is that if i create the frost zealot, when i get to hell, almost all of the enemies will be cold immune... What do i do! Please help
Remember, a frost zealot still does the physical damage from his weapon in addition to the cold damage of his aura.Therefore, cold immunes won't bother you that much.