• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Is this lame ?

battledroid

Jun 18, 2005
denmark
Is this lame ?

in duels to give your merc a armor that you socket with 4 rainbow facets,
1 of each :
100% Chance To Cast Level 31 Meteor When You Die
100% Chance To Cast Level 37 Blizzard When You Die
100% Chance To Cast Level 47 Chain Lightning When You Die
100% Chance To Cast Level 51 Poison Nova When You Die
+ the other mods on the jewels should give decent damage

and a Infinity runeword for weapon :
Level 12 Conviction Aura When Equipped

you can probelly add more facets to lower their resist even more.

And then rely on them killing your merc first by building an extremely defencive character, and run so that your merc gets in the way of the duel all the time.

Pretty lame but do you think it could work ? :D

bipolar

Jul 7, 2003
The problem is that though the death effects sound impressive, in reality they are not so much without synergies and masteries.

Level 31 Meteor (assuming your opponent is standing still and lets the meteor hit him): ~ 1800 dmg
Level 37 Blizzard: ~1600 dmg
Level 47 Chain Lightning: 686 *max*, 340ish avg
Level 51 Poison Nova: ~1650 dmg

For an average damage of ~5400. Divided by the 1/6 PvP (or is it even lower for mercs?) that is 900 damage before resists. Decent, but for serious dueling where the enemy has 3000+ life, not decisive.
Infinity's effects will end the second the merc dies, so no lower resists from that. I would guess that the same holds true for the facets' "- enemy resist" mods, but am not certain. And Meteor is easy to avoid, as is Blizzard, so those would hit even less often.

Props for thinking outside the box though :) Might be viable in a PvM setup, but would be annoying reviving your merc all the time ;)

battledroid

Jun 18, 2005
denmark
ok, if the conviction dosnt work you could give hime hands of justice instead, lvl 47 meteor when u die that gives 3146 dam avrage instead of the 1800 from the meteor from the fire facet, could help :)

are u sure conviction does stay a few secs after, it looks like the aura hangs around the monsters a little while after a player with conviction leaves the game or takes a portal, could be the graphics though.

even if it dosnt kill it would be fund to watch the opponents face when it happens :D

If you only wear for instance cold facets with bliz on them, are u sure they dont stack like when using runewords with skills on ? like dream etc

bipolar

Jul 7, 2003
battledroid said:
ok, if the conviction dosnt work you could give hime hands of justice instead, lvl 47 meteor when u die that gives 3146 dam avrage instead of the 1800 from the meteor from the fire facet, could help :)

are u sure conviction does stay a few secs after, it looks like the aura hangs around the monsters a little while after a player with conviction leaves the game or takes a portal, could be the graphics though.

even if it dosnt kill it would be fund to watch the opponents face when it happens :D

If you only wear for instance cold facets with bliz on them, are u sure they dont stack like when using runewords with skills on ? like dream etc
I imagine the Blizzards from cold facets would stack (i.e., you could have multiple blizzards at once from having multiple cold facets), but I think the +cold dmg/-enemy res would not work after the death of the merc. Just my opinion though ... the only die facet I've had was a light one my hcl sorc used ... and obviously I wasn't in any hurry to verify its effects ;)

battledroid

Jun 18, 2005
denmark
i didnt mean that the blizzards stacked, but the lvl like with dream were you get lvl 30 holy shock form helm lvl 15, and shield lvl 15.
so if wearing 4 facets it would be 4 x Level 37 = lvl 148 bliz when u die.
Guess it sounds a kind of crazy, so it probelly dosnt work that way