• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Is this Charm Really Worth It????????

Yochefguy

Jun 16, 2004
Is this Charm Really Worth It????????

Is this Charm Really Worth it?????????

Here is my story. I used my sorc to tele around and get the keys. Then I killed everything with my Holy Freeze Pally. He died 5 or 6 times in UberTrist until I realized that instead of Holy Freeze and Zeal I needed to switch to Smite and Salvation. Then I killed them at a pretty good rate of speed. ( Nothing Godly) After this I got a +3Necro Torch. I play a couple of hours a night, 4 or 5 days a week. I play sc nl, and usually I play alone on the bnet(Keep only 1 GOOD friend on f list).
This is why I dont think it is that much worth it for me. I only do PVM and MF. I only keep 8 Characters at a time(I dont like worrying about multiple accounts) and 6 of my 8 characters have annihulis charms. The +3necro torch went on my lvl 92 Necro. Then I was able to transfer his anny to another character. When I started to walk around with my new charm I said big deal, so now my skeleton mastery is lvl 41 and not lvl 39 anymore. I just dont think for my purposes it is that much better than an anny. Maybe if I found a Barb or a Pally one that would be a little better. But for the 5 characters that I have that are lvl 90 or above whats the great big deal about +2 to skills over an anny? You should already have a pretty good character by the time he is at that level anyway.
I will probably go for 1 more, that way all my characters will have something. It is probably better for someone that likes PVP. I would rather do Baal or Meph runs and look for uniques then take a whole week and try to get one of these charms. Besides I thought that Bnet was trying to avoid having all these mf runs by making durance bigger and whatnot. So they made a patch that increases these runs.
With all that said I do think it is a good charm and I appreciate the fact that bnet goes through the trouble of making a new patch so we all have new things to do in the game.

Here is what my lvl 90 HF Pally wears in case anyone is curious.
Maras
Rare dual leech ring
Ravenfrost
Um Guillaumes
Um Hoz
Um GA
Ber Astreons
Goreriders
Dracs
Dungos
10 Offensive GC

Thanks for reading my post. Thats just my 2 cents

Yochefguy

Jun 16, 2004
Omikron8 said:
Get a strafezon with a hellfire charm

Then you will see how damn good it is

I have a FrozenArrow/Strafezon but who knows how many times I would have to go through this to get a Zon Charm.

Dad Daniel

May 7, 2005
Sofia
Yochefguy said:
Is this Charm Really Worth it?????????

This is why I dont think it is that much worth it for me. I only do PVM and MF. I only keep 8 Characters at a time(I dont like worrying about multiple accounts) and 6 of my 8 characters have annihulis charms. The +3necro torch went on my lvl 92 Necro. Then I was able to transfer his anny to another character. When I started to walk around with my new charm I said big deal, so now my skeleton mastery is lvl 41 and not lvl 39 anymore. I just dont think for my purposes it is that much better than an anny. Maybe if I found a Barb or a Pally one that would be a little better. But for the 5 characters that I have that are lvl 90 or above whats the great big deal about +2 to skills over an anny? You should already have a pretty good character by the time he is at that level anyway.

You can have Hellfire torch and anni at the same time on one character i believe, and the new charm is nothing less than godly, especially in case of nice roll of the stats.

Omikron8

Jun 28, 2003
I am not talking about the stupid +3 skills which do practically nothing of worth on physical damage characters. I am talking about the 25% diablo firestorm which has NO casting delay. 8/2 strafe + 25% firestorm = lagzorz spamming barbeque

Hnoo B

May 10, 2005
California
Well, my personal answer is this: I don't have an anni myself, and I never will. I don't have dozens of sojs to sell to spawn a DC, and if I ever joined a public hunt game I would never get the anni since I'm 27 years old and don't have the reflexes to compete with the souped-up-on-caffeine 14 year olds who populate bnet. That doesn't even account for the fact that from what I understand a lot of people who do the clone hunts have hacks that allow them to grab the item faster than I can realize it's dropped.

In contrast, I can get the keys myself with a reasonable amount of work, and spawn the uber-three (not that I've done it yet because I don't have a character who can take them on yet) and get the hellfire torch myself. So you're saying "if you've already got an anni, does this charm really matter," while I am saying "I will never in my life have an anni, so yeah this charm's great!"

allensong

Jul 3, 2004
Toronto
not worth all the fuss actually, the best part about the quest is fighting in Chaotic Tristram, not getting the stupid large charm

althought tends to be useful for sorcs and maybe druids (casters)

the fight part is still the best =D

Twoflower

Banned
May 22, 2004
uber d and annihilus can easily be done on your own, so you dont have to worry about getting the charm first :)

different for the torch though, but can be made solo from what i heared

Yochefguy

Jun 16, 2004
Hnoo B said:
Well, my personal answer is this: I don't have an anni myself, and I never will. I don't have dozens of sojs to sell to spawn a DC, and if I ever joined a public hunt game I would never get the anni since I'm 27 years old and don't have the reflexes to compete with the souped-up-on-caffeine 14 year olds who populate bnet. That doesn't even account for the fact that from what I understand a lot of people who do the clone hunts have hacks that allow them to grab the item faster than I can realize it's dropped.

In contrast, I can get the keys myself with a reasonable amount of work, and spawn the uber-three (not that I've done it yet because I don't have a character who can take them on yet) and get the hellfire torch myself. So you're saying "if you've already got an anni, does this charm really matter," while I am saying "I will never in my life have an anni, so yeah this charm's great!"

The only reason I have 6 anni's is that when Uber Diablo first came out he was spawning like crazy and I got lucky alot. BTW I am 35yrs old and I understand where you are coming from.

dang79

Feb 18, 2004
Uber tristram is not about the charm.
The charm is pretty damn good only for the bragging rights. E.g. Yo I got level 45 Skele mastery with 16 skeletons at level 43... and thats with Beast war axe!

Uber tristram is about the joy of the hunt again. The joy that for those who dislike dueling, there lies a challenging quest for once, apart from the monotony of repetitive runs against monsters that don't stand a chance.

Some will say go play HC in that case, but thats another extreme and I'm not ready for that, not with lagomania these days.

Basically, here are 3 demons that will whoop you if you are not careful. Heck, they'd whoop you even if you had a previously undefeatable uber character. We all had to modify and readjust our characters to deal with these three demons... stack the resists... bump up the CB... and when you enter that red portal to tristram... the rush is there again... the rush that was there when Dclone first appeared... but had disappeared due to fighting him repeatedly, anyway it was no challenge fighting him alone.

Why do you think I help others with uber trist? I don't get the charm do I.

Jun 29, 2005
California
of course not

its completely not worth it

dont get it

youll waste your time

its not like there s anything special apart from the +3 to skills or the 20 to stat and 20 to resists

of course not

ITS NOT WORTH IT

Mister-Hat

Jun 22, 2003
Hnoo B said:

Until a few weeks ago I was in the same position as you. ;) I never had an anni and I never expected to get one. One day I was just doing some solo play though and I saw the SOJ counter going up pretty fast. Lo and behold a few minutes later I got the Diablo walks the earth message. I brought in my lv 87 tesladin who has pretty good resists, dracs for life tap, HOZ, etc. He made pretty short work of the clone (my merc almost made it through the battle too!) and I got my first anni. As luck would have it the mods are really low on mine, but it's still a very nice charm.

I would LOVE to get the new hellfire torch charm but I am having a heck of a time just finding the darn keys. I have not found a single key yet. I haven't done a whole lot of runs yet (maybe 30) so that's my problem. I did find a Mal during one of my countess runs though and just traded it off for 2 Cold GCs. :) Woo hoo! Still going to be great to see that first key though!