• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Is Teeth effective in Hell?

Blascid

Jan 7, 2005
Is Teeth effective in Hell?

How much damage does Teeth need to be doing in Hell, to be able to kill reasonably?

essojay

Jun 26, 2004
NH
As Teeth gets stronger (by synergy), so do Bone Spear and Bone Spirit - except faster.

I'm not sure if Teeth can be good enough for hell, but it sure rocks in normal. It's also nice for pvp necros.

Nightfish

Aug 14, 2003
Visit site
On my SP bonemancer I found teeth to be okay. Yeah, the damage displayed is a lot lower than bone spear and spirit but teeth kinda hits everything on the screen. Bone spirit only hits one thing and bone spear only hits a few. Vs camps of fallens and flayers or other enemies that spawn in masses I used teeth, vs everything else I used BSpear. Bone Spirit I found to be rather useless. Costs twice as much as BSpear and only does like 10% more damage.

Porius

Jul 7, 2003
Des Moines, Ia
Visit site
I've never gotten the whole "double the mana and not much more damage" on bone spirit. That has never been my experience. I've found that Spirit does about 2 times the damage for about 80% more mana. Everytime someone brings it up, the Spear is at something like 35th level, Spirit is something like 25th level, still does more damage, and costs a little more mana...

Perhaps it's just me...

Porius

Nightfish

Aug 14, 2003
Visit site
Hm, looks like my skill calculator failed me there, perhaps. According to that, a lvl 35 spear does 1.2k damage while a lvl 35 spirit does 1.5k. Assuming 21 points in synergies. Gave away my SC bonemancer so I can't check the values in game.

TheWormishOne

May 10, 2005
Oslo, Norway
Porius said:
I've never gotten the whole "double the mana and not much more damage" on bone spirit. That has never been my experience. I've found that Spirit does about 2 times the damage for about 80% more mana. Everytime someone brings it up, the Spear is at something like 35th level, Spirit is something like 25th level, still does more damage, and costs a little more mana...

I've loaded up my bonemancer and unequiped the gear that gives a higher boost to Spear than to Spirit. They are now both at slevel 28, with 54 points in synergies:

Spear does 2002-2125 (for an average of 2063.5) damage for 13.7 mana.
Spirit does 2665-2866 (for an average of 2765.5) damage for 25 mana.

Spirit does roughly 34% more damage than Spear for roughly 83% more mana. As you plainly can see, Spear is the more mana efficient spell. Add the fact that it's cast at a higher rate, moves faster and can hit several monsters.

Spirit may get a boost in the damage to mana ratio at higher slevels (I can't be bothered to find out) but Spear is still the easier spell to raise to higher levels (mmmmm! White :clap: ) Even if Spirit did twice the damage, Spear would still win for its piercing ability in my book.

Now, back on topic:
I never thought of using teeth past normal, but Nightfish brings up an interesting point. I'll have to try that out some time.