• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Is Spirit Worth It?

FenrirKnight

Aug 1, 2003
Visit site
Is Spirit Worth It?

After some countess hunting, I finally have the runes to make spirit for my LS trapper(used jrichard guide). However, I just found out that the only shields with 4 sokets to make spirit with are ones with insanely high str requirements.

So, my question is, despite the great mods on spirit shield, is it worth investing all those points in str to wear it? Are 2x +3 trap claws more ideal? Unfortunately I find those hard to come by. Are there other easier alternatives for the shield slot if spirit is not worth it?

On a side note, I also accumulated the runes to make insight as a merc weapon. Where do you guys find it easiest to find 4 socket polearms? Is there a specific polearm best for the job?

Jun 6, 2005
Spirit can be effective if you go with a low str nigma so that you dont have to add so many points into str. Of course if you can't afford an enigma yet then definitely shop for some +3 trap claws you shouldn't have many problems with those.

FenrirKnight

Aug 1, 2003
Visit site
There are two problems I find with obtaining and using cunning claws.

First, since I'm in NM, comming across these claws with Anya has really been difficult. I've found plenty of +2 assasin claws using the portal trick but have yet to find a pair of +3 trappers. Meanwhile, with untwinked equipment, it's really hard for me to get through hell to act 5 to get to the "better" shop.

Second, if I happen to be able to obtain these claws, putting them on really detracts from my resists. Currently, I'm using ancients pledge to provide me with some much needed resistances. Without them, I think I'd be in a world of hurt in Hell.

Thanks the help guys.

AnimeCraze

Jul 13, 2005
Vancouver
You can make spirit in a sword as well, if you are having problems finding a trap claw. As for insight, depends on its uses. For maximum damage and ease of finding, a CV is preferred, since you can socket it for 4 sockets. (eth 15ed if you have that kind of wealth) However, it does have insane str requirements. For lvling purposes, I made one in a normal voulge and pass it from 1 low lvl char to another. It should be easy to find a second set of runes to make it into a CV.

BIGeyedBUG

Oct 16, 2003
frisco
Visit site
FenrirKnight said:
There are two problems I find with obtaining and using cunning claws.

First, since I'm in NM, comming across these claws with Anya has really been difficult. I've found plenty of +2 assasin claws using the portal trick but have yet to find a pair of +3 trappers. Meanwhile, with untwinked equipment, it's really hard for me to get through hell to act 5 to get to the "better" shop.

Second, if I happen to be able to obtain these claws, putting them on really detracts from my resists. Currently, I'm using ancients pledge to provide me with some much needed resistances. Without them, I think I'd be in a world of hurt in Hell.

As long as you're level 67 or better, finding +3 trap claws at NM Anya won't take too much time. If you're not at that point yet, +2 Assassin aren't bad, and have the advantage of improving WB. As far as the resists go, a trapper should be pretty solid with 1 point in WB and Fade, as well as their high VIT...well, high as long as you don't spend points on STR or DEX for a shield.

FenrirKnight

Aug 1, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for responses. I think I'm just a unlucky shopper. I suppose I will persist with Anya. I totally forgot about Fade--that's a good idea.

I'm just curuious but can NM anya spawn the legendary +2 sin +3 LS claws?

BIGeyedBUG

Oct 16, 2003
frisco
Visit site
FenrirKnight said:
I'm just curuious but can NM anya spawn the legendary +2 sin +3 LS claws?

As long as you're level 75 or better. The chances of getting +3 skilltab / +x claws will be substantially better in Hell though.

edit: Oops, misread the question. +2 'sin / +x claws would require level 70. Again, Hell is much better if you've got the option.

amphrosyne

Jul 20, 2005
if the claws dont have + to LS as well as traps, its better to use spirit. 156 str req isnt much anyways with enigma, ammys, rings, anni, etc, unless you lack the funds.

Day

Jun 16, 2004
For pvm 2 x plus 2 assain claws are very good - the plusses to WB, Fade and your Shadow Warrior are all nice - you can certainly complete the game with these claws without further mods.