• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Invinceable Iron Golem?

Klye

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Invinceable Iron Golem?

If we create an iron golem out of the bone runeword, he'd get

+30% resistall +whatever resist bonus from Summon Resists + inherint resists
15 lvl bone armor 25% when struck.
and other mods of course.

So... doesn't this sound like a well nigh indestructable iron golem to you?

What would be really neat would be to find how BA and the golems thorns aura interacts.

Oh, and just so you know why I'm interested. I once considered making a necro (patch 1.07??) that had all those crazy "attacker takes damage +" mods. The reason was, these triggered when making a successful hit against me, but before the damage done to me was applied to the Bone Armor.

So yes, for fun I wandered around... attacking nothing.... Amping everything in sight.... and let everyone(in normal) kill themselves on my bone armor :).

Klye

Pherdnut

Sep 13, 2004
A shield with a perfect ruby and a perfect sapphire will make an IG completely elementally immune as long as +skills from gear gets your Summon resist to lvl 12 or above. I think I'd be really surprised if bone armor worked on nonnecros but who knows? A level 15 bone armor without synergies won't be much compared to an IGs overall health though. I'd suggest saving yourself a couple Um runes on this one.

Do a search on 1.11 in this forum Leddan. I posted them in the Holy Crap! 1.11 thread.

Klye

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Pherdnut said:
A shield with a perfect ruby and a perfect sapphire will make an IG completely elementally immune as long as +skills from gear gets your Summon resist to lvl 12 or above. I think I'd be really surprised if bone armor worked on nonnecros but who knows? A level 15 bone armor without synergies won't be much compared to an IGs overall health though. I'd suggest saving yourself a couple Um runes on this one.

The resists are actually an afterthought for me.. only noticed it after I started posting. So this Golem will be ALMOST immune to everything at SR 12.

It's the 25% bone armor when struck.
It's the 150 free hps with a 25% chance to recast EVERY time he's hit.
His hps may not even matter. He might even survive hell with 1 pt GM and 1 pt IG with some +skills.

150hp --> he gets hit and damage removes some of his hp shield, but the BA is recast. Repeat.

As long as he has a manageable second store of hps (his own) he might never die. He'll get time to regenerate some of his own hps back between battles and the BA might always be on ;).

Now.. if only his thorns are still activated via the damage done before the BA, he'd have some fun.

Klye

Pherdnut

Sep 13, 2004
It's a nice mod that will help buffer a lot of physical attacks but it won't do much against cursed champion packs with a fanat aura which are a sadistically common occurence in Hell. IGs also tend to disappear when you get too far ahead of them and they will sometimes completely disappear between games for no good reason. A crap shield with a couple PGems will make your IG very hard to kill since all golems do quite well tanking physical damage as it is and the shield is much less of a gamble. I think Insight is about as far as I'd be willing to go in terms of runes put into an IG.

That said, I'd still rather use the CG because I can resummon him exactly where I want, he tanks just fine, slows enemies, and is easily replaced.

Klye

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Pherdnut said:
It's a nice mod that will help buffer a lot of physical attacks but it won't do much against cursed champion packs with a fanat aura which are a sadistically common occurence in Hell. IGs also tend to disappear when you get too far ahead of them and they will sometimes completely disappear between games for no good reason. A crap shield with a couple PGems will make your IG very hard to kill since all golems do quite well tanking physical damage as it is and the shield is much less of a gamble.

I'm not sure I get the Fanastism point though... IG gets hit more often....BA is just cast more often.And possibly the IG thorns happen more often. I wish I could check this now, but I'll be working late tonight.

Anyone else out there want to give it a try?

BTW... I'm thinking 1GM and 1IG + skill adders only == Never dieing IG
What skills points to you need to get the same result (same skill adders) with CG? I've never invested more than 1pt into CGand 1pt into GM, and so he seems to die often enough just on Normal even with a few adders.

Pherdnut said:
I think Insight is about as far as I'd be willing to go in terms of runes put into an IG..

Yep, there's the rub. This IG would be expensive, but I'm currently working on a "what the heck is that!?!?!, ooohhh coooolll" feel.

Pherdnut said:
That said, I'd still rather use the CG because I can resummon him exactly where I want, he tanks just fine, slows enemies, and is easily replaced.

Very little can beat CG (or a low level FG) in "Hotcasting" I agree.

Klye

Mad Mantis

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator
Jun 24, 2003
In a cave
Visit site
Klye said:
I'm not sure I get the Fanastism point though... IG gets hit more often....BA is just cast more often.

There is an increasing chance that it will get cast more often, not a certainty. But a boss pack of that kind will tear through 150 points faster than it will be recast.

Klye said:
And possibly the IG thorns happen more often.

IG's Thorns is not worth it. The damage return is way too low.

Kanji

Jul 21, 2003
On the run from Mr. Coffee...
I'm not sure I get the Fanastism point though... IG gets hit more often....BA is just cast more often.And possibly the IG thorns happen more often. I wish I could check this now, but I'll be working late tonight.

Like Mantis said, the extra 160 life from BA wouldn't really be all that much help against a boss pack like that; they just do way too much damage.

As to whether or not Bone Armor would even work in the first place, I'm almost positive it would. I've seen Treachery (Fade and Venom) and Rain's (Cyclone Armor) proc effects work outside of their intended class, even if you put them on mercs, so I'd imagine Bone would be much the same. Obviously I can't be 100% sure on this until it's tested, but given the fact that Cyclone Armor and Bone Armor work on the same basic principle, I think it's a pretty safe bet to say it'd work.

Anyway, all things considered, if I made one of those armors, I think I'd rather either use it myself or put it on a merc just to be goofy. It just seems like a waste of two um runes to turn it into an Iron Golem.

Ya, it does work, but my armor has lv 10 BA with 15% chance to cast.

Bonearmor1.jpg

Bonearmor2.jpg

Bonearmor3.jpg

I didn't check if it cast the spear, but I'll do it tommorow.