• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

If you are not yet playing S3 Ladder, how long are you waiting until you do?

If you are not yet playing S3 Ladder, how long are you waiting until you do?

I don't feel the urge to rush with everybody else in the new ladder season. Getting a full sigon's set is still quite impossible and even more so for the higher level stuff. I think I'm going to stick on NL for a bit and wait until the new economy is established, and my friends could help do the rushes. It just feels weird that you need to break an arm and a leg for items that will be almost free in a few weeks (or less).

Anybody else here feel (or think) the same way?

triple_ultima

Jun 23, 2003
raffster said:
I don't feel the urge to rush with everybody else in the new ladder season. Getting a full sigon's set is still quite impossible and even more so for the higher level stuff. I think I'm going to stick on NL for a bit and wait until the new economy is established, and my friends could help do the rushes. It just feels weird that you need to break an arm and a leg for items that will be almost free in a few weeks (or less).

No, I think the immature economy is the best part of a ladder reset. Seeing people make trade threads trading frostburns, biggin's bonnets, and good rares is just awesome. I wish it could be that way all the time, since trading for stuff like that is so much more fun and more dynamic than "Um for IK Armor."

Senor Bezeer

Mar 5, 2005
triple_ultima said:
No, I think the immature economy is the best part of a ladder reset. Seeing people make trade threads trading frostburns, biggin's bonnets, and good rares is just awesome. I wish it could be that way all the time, since trading for stuff like that is so much more fun and more dynamic than "Um for IK Armor."

I agree, because this way the trades involve one players needs for anothers. Not a highend item for whatever its worth. I think its fun to trade rares for rares depending on your characters needs. For me too, thats the funnest part of the new ladder :thumbsup:

Varnon

Nov 9, 2003
www.angelfire.com
Senor Bezeer said:
I agree, because this way the trades involve one players needs for anothers. Not a highend item for whatever its worth. I think its fun to trade rares for rares depending on your characters needs. For me too, thats the funnest part of the new ladder :thumbsup:

Yeah that is my favorite part of ladder.
Even once it gets going its better than non-ladder.
Off ladder everybody has all the big super items and thats all you can trade for/with.

buttershug

Feb 13, 2005
Centre of known civilization
more and more I think having ladder only items was a mistake.
It would have been better if there were non-ladder only items.
That way fewer people not interested in the ladder would play ladder.
If the ladder could be reset automatically, I would love to see the ladder reset one week after there is a level 99 char in every catagory.
That would weed out even more people who want the game easy.

For a while I played a net-trivia game that reset every month.

That might be good; no extra's in ladder and it resets every month.

I think people who knew the word "quest" before playing diablo and who appreciate a ranking system would play but very few others would.

buttershug

Feb 13, 2005
Centre of known civilization
raffster said:

o and it sounds like you will never ever truly play.
You will have someone rush you.
It's not the same.

Fluffballer

May 4, 2005
buttershug said:
more and more I think having ladder only items was a mistake.
It would have been better if there were non-ladder only items.
That way fewer people not interested in the ladder would play ladder.
If the ladder could be reset automatically, I would love to see the ladder reset one week after there is a level 99 char in every catagory.
That would weed out even more people who want the game easy.

For a while I played a net-trivia game that reset every month.

That might be good; no extra's in ladder and it resets every month.

I think people who knew the word "quest" before playing diablo and who appreciate a ranking system would play but very few others would.

I like that idea a lot-- resetting the ladder every month. I'm thinking I might join one of those "untwinked through hell Baal" groups once people start using dupes again, as I'm now addicted to getting excited to see a rare broad sword drop.

MoonUnit

Jul 21, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
Heh i got a -GODLY- lvl 7 sorc on ladder this season still unpermed...don't care for that bs of a lvl 89 on ladder already when its been only 2 days.

Dad Daniel

May 7, 2005
Sofia
Varnon said:
Yeah that is my favorite part of ladder.
Even once it gets going its better than non-ladder.
Off ladder everybody has all the big super items and thats all you can trade for/with.

I just HATE this part of the ladder... :grrr:

Especially trade games like "O shako N 2Ists" (or "O mara20 N VEX++") with 7 people in it trying to give their hard found runes for a super stupid (but inevitable) item as Harlequin Crest (10x def! in most of the cases):rant: :teeth:

And when i went to the pub "Hc trade" i am pissed by the people around with their "S" class items - shakoes and storms. On the question - "What you need for them", the answear "Ists.." sounds like blasphemy in my ears!

But i feel considrably better when at the end of the season, when i see the same persons - now overloaded with stormes, crests and tals, Begging me to buy their regular crap items for some Pgems and probably Ist for 5 Crests, i am saing "Sorry buddy, but i have only high runes around.." :point:

mdkkns

Nov 6, 2003
:) Started in the middle of S2 ladder. It was too late by that time cos the economy has sorta matured.

Now, I've just started S3 ladder and it's really refreshing to trade my Amn for a Kuko, 1 pgem, 3 flawless, +18life 10%cold res lc, 2 Nefs and 1 Ith. Maybe it's me, I dunno. But I was reaaaaally getting sick of seeing "Godly for HRs... No noobs..." games... :)

Omikron8

Jun 28, 2003
never :)

if uber quest wasn't available on non ladder i would quit altogether, 5 years of d2 is enough for me

Omikron8

Jun 28, 2003
mdkkns said:
:) Started in the middle of S2 ladder. It was too late by that time cos the economy has sorta matured.

Now, I've just started S3 ladder and it's really refreshing to trade my Amn for a Kuko, 1 pgem, 3 flawless, +18life 10%cold res lc, 2 Nefs and 1 Ith. Maybe it's me, I dunno. But I was reaaaaally getting sick of seeing "Godly for HRs... No noobs..." games... :)

Wait 2-3 weeks :)

allensong

Jul 3, 2004
Toronto
the only reason im playing ladder is because no one else is filthy rich "YET" and it helps to know that rushers or botters cant ruin the fun of a real gaming experience

and did somebody say frostburns? where?! i need!!

Phyrexial

Jun 23, 2003
forums.diabloii.net
Playing the first week or so is nice if you have a dedicated group to play with, otherwise it gets boring and frustrating fast in my opinion. I like playing untwinked, but when I'm doing some Tomb runs trying to get to level 25 and there are a bunch of useless leechs just sitting around it annoys me. On NL I'd have no problems killing on my own since I'd have the gear to do so (aka Enchant sorc) without needing to rely on babbling idiots.

So this time around I'll be sitting out of the leveling frenzy that is the first week of ladder due to lack of a group. However, I still intend to play Ladder because of the following reasons:

- Everything available on Ladder can be dropped in the game, none of this 15/70s and crazy duped rares crap.
- The economy isn't entirely gone to crap to the point where no one will trade with you unless you have some ridiculously perfect sought after item (perfect CoA for example) or a load of high runes which you can only really get via item shops or finding that incredibly rare 1 in a million find that you then trade for those duped runes someone bought at an item shop. Granted it's not far from this on L, but it's still better than NL.
- Maybe, just maybe, there will be something Ladder exclusive that Blizzard hasn't told us about yet. If there is, I want to be ready and waiting for it with the resources I need to take advantage of it.

To answer your question, I'm just going to level up very very slowly at my leisure until I can MF a bit and the economy levels out a bit. I'd say give it around 2 weeks or so. I'll MF for basics in the meantime just so I don't end up paying an Um rune for Magefists or something later. I think I shared with you my current get rich quick scheme Raffster. ;)

Phyrexial said:
I think I shared with you my current get rich quick scheme Raffster. ;)

I should have written that down, phyrexial. LOL! I think I forgot but I remember you mentioned it to me.

For the others, I see where your coming from but eventually, aren't you going for the best stuff anyway? So why waste so much time trading 100000000000000 El runes for a shako for 8 hours when in a few weeks you'll probably be able to trade it for an UM, in a few months back to its PUL value?

arcticknight

May 28, 2005
Chicago, IL
id liked to have started on monday, but it just so happens that my newer computer is having technical difficulties at the moment...cant load windows anymore....i might not have started the first day but i probly would have after a few days. cant play d2 right now so im kinda bored/ wasting time doing char planning for builds on non ladder. also trying to get my first torch (i was pretty busy all last week) and i have accumulated all three parts with my friend. stupid computer... :mad: i was plannning on making some new builds with my old ladder gear and my old non ladder stuff before i started my ladder quest. o well. hope we get the computer running before school starts.

Phyrexial

Jun 23, 2003
forums.diabloii.net
keithano said:
Y rush? enjoy the new ladder , and solving the quests with buddy.
Have Fun^^

After all guys are rich, it's hard to find others to solve quests with u.
Even with the ladder reset, very rarely do your average players want to actually quest anymore than they have to. If that is what you are looking for, try the Player Matchup forum.