• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

I need help with mercenaries!

goeagles

Jul 28, 2005
I need help with mercenaries!

I hired a lvl 17 act2 nightmare mercenary after getting rushed through normal (i wanted to get a low lvl merc so it would be better in the end because i trained it from a low lvl)
The act2 nightmare merc is supposed to have th holy freeze aura, however, my merc used to aura, i soon attributed this to the fact that he was only on lvl 17, and holy freeze is a lvl 18 skill, however, when he got to lvl 18 he still was not using holy freeze.
So i thought maybe him starting on lvl17 messed it up permanently, so i bought a new defensive act2 merc on nightmare, on lvl25, but he still doesn't use an aura!?!
What's going on and how can i fix it???

Darnoc

Jan 20, 2005
Chicago Burbs
I've found that mercs wont start their aura until they have killed a monster by themselves- has yours actually killed anything yet, or is he just leeching experience?

Orphan

May 23, 2004
If nothings changed with the new 1.11 patch, then up until lvl 28, an Act 2 offensive merc will have a lvl 0 holy freeze aura, and as such no aura.

Edit: As far as I know, hiring an Act 2 merc at lower levels does not make it any better than if you were to hire it at a higher level. That only applies to the Normal and Hell difficulty mercs.

goeagles

Jul 28, 2005
Orphan said:
If nothings changed with the new 1.11 patch, then up until lvl 28, an Act 2 offensive merc will have a lvl 0 holy freeze aura, and as such no aura.

Edit: As far as I know, hiring an Act 2 merc at lower levels does not make it any better than if you were to hire it at a higher level. That only applies to the Normal and Hell difficulty mercs.
I think you may be right, although i saw a guide saying it started at lvl 27, and i tried a lvl27 merc to no avail, i will try lvl 28 though, thanks for the advice.

ToadKiller

Jun 23, 2003
Limbo, CA
Visit site
It could be that if you hire one that's too low level to use his aura, he'll never use it. I had someone rush me to ACT2 before the reset and I hired a level2 merc. He never used his aura the whole time I had him: 12+ levels. I had to trade him in for a new one.

TK

goeagles

Jul 28, 2005
Ok, I did get my merc to start using his aura (i bought a lvl 29 merc) thanks a lot for the help!