• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

How to calculate FO direct hit

Diablo47

Member
Feb 16, 2005
11
0
1
Slovenia
How to calculate FO direct hit

This has always interested me. Say i have 500 dmg shard, what is the final damage of a direct orb hit on a monster, or how many shards hit the target at that moment?
 

chubbypuppy

Member
Dec 2, 2003
568
0
255
Err that depends how well you aimed :)

Seriously though, I guess your question is really how many shards there are in a single orb ***when it finally explodes***. I would be interested in the answer as well. The number 15 is in my head for some reason, but that can just be my dementia :)
 

akadevil

Member
Aug 7, 2005
12
0
1
wow, 500 damage shard, that's nice. A orb shoots (estimate) 50 shards. Each shard would do 500 damage, and however many hits is however many damage. FO is much higher damage than blizzard if used properly, but it's way way more expensive too. Unless you plan on getting fathom+nightwings+sojs+maras+p ormus things like that, dont make a FO sorc.
 

chubbypuppy

Member
Dec 2, 2003
568
0
255
akadevil said:
Unless you plan on getting fathom+nightwings+sojs+maras+p ormus things like that, dont make a FO sorc.

I disagree. With "just" a tal set, 2 SOJ and 1 skiller, my orb was doing 700 pts. I've seen an eBay account for a duel sorc with 1500 orb shard (of course, that's insane maxed).

In addition, I just like the orb much more than blizz. I had to use blizz until I could get to level 30 last nite, and getting the orb is such a relief. I can aim the orb instead of fire and hope with blizz. For me personally that's very important.
 

akadevil

Member
Aug 7, 2005
12
0
1
what u mean hope....it's always instant....

plus i had a FO sorc so i noe, with all the highest equip, i had 900 damage orb. But that wasnt easy. I remade a blizz sorc, and got 6k damage. Blizz sorc much better at mf'ing than orb, and same with pvp, unless your facing a relly pro pally or a relly pro druid. What i like blizz most in pvps are those skelly enigma necros, they're so annoying, teleports so fuking fast dont even noe if he hacks, but all i do is put one blizzard over myself, he tries to come over and it's gameover for him.
 

Diablo47

Member
Feb 16, 2005
11
0
1
Slovenia
chubbypuppy said:
In addition, I just like the orb much more than blizz. I had to use blizz until I could get to level 30 last nite, and getting the orb is such a relief. I can aim the orb instead of fire and hope with blizz. For me personally that's very important.

I also like orb more than blizzard. I play only single player and need a second element to mow down CI monsters.
 

Diablo47

Member
Feb 16, 2005
11
0
1
Slovenia
If i get a perfect hit on Baal, who is stuck on my mercs kelpie snare (slow down 75%), what would be the number of shards that hit him upon exposion?

FO shard damage ~300

From observations i would say more than 15, because his life bar drops more as suposed to a 5k blizz. CM is max in both cases (baal has -100 cold res).

Maybe RTB could find it in the .mpq files.
 

HelzCaretaker

Member
Feb 11, 2004
1,092
0
165
HELL
Frozen orb>blizz if you're not planning on using iceblast/glacial spike a lot. For sc getting closer to monsters is not a problem, FO hits for more dmg and is easier to aim. Frozen orb also allows for a 2nd element or maxing tk for es. For pvp the only advantage a blizz sorc has is to aim and run, quite a ***** tactic if u ask me. I have a lvl 34 iceblast/blizz sorc hc dueler and she was never beaten, blizzard wasn't that great but iceblast was, for higher lvl I would've switched to orb since its better overall, the explosion (perfect direct hit) usually annhilates monsters better then blizz hits.
 

AndyChrono

Member
Sep 10, 2003
206
0
42
36
California, USA
akadevil said:
what u mean hope....it's always instant....

plus i had a FO sorc so i noe, with all the highest equip, i had 900 damage orb. But that wasnt easy. I remade a blizz sorc, and got 6k damage. Blizz sorc much better at mf'ing than orb, and same with pvp, unless your facing a relly pro pally or a relly pro druid. What i like blizz most in pvps are those skelly enigma necros, they're so annoying, teleports so fuking fast dont even noe if he hacks, but all i do is put one blizzard over myself, he tries to come over and it's gameover for him.

I think chubby is referring to the fact that Blizz has a bad habit of missing monsters completely from time to time.

The highest possible FO damage with the best possible stuff is over 1700 now that torches are available.

Blizz sorcs are only better at MF-ing if you use a bot. Why? Because bots aren't smart enough to aim orb correctly to maximize damage output. Blizz needs at least 10 times the damage of FO to kill single monsters (i.e Act Bosses) at even the same speed as a good FO user. Blizz shines the most against small, compact groups of monsters (i.e Baal's minions).

In SERIOUS PvP (not pubbies), Blizz sorcs are a joke. Pretty much every single class and every single build owns them. Why? Because all Blizz sorcs are glass cannons who die in 1-2 hits. In pubbies this is offset because everyone is walking around unprepared and will also die in 1-2 Blizz hits. However, in a serious dueling environment against skilled duelists, no one is going to die that fast while the Blizz sorc will be dying just as fast as they normally do.
 
Oct 18, 2004
2,509
0
466
31
Asianland
www.profitablesin.tk
True. I couldn't believe how effective FO Sorcs were compared to Blizzard couple months after 1.10 started, and yet everyone was making Blizz Sorcs for PvP...

FO is much more versatile + fun + effective in PK's than Blizzard.
 

RTB

Member
Jun 21, 2003
5,108
2
120
Dimension of Numbers
Diablo47 said:
Maybe RTB could find it in the .mpq files.
I did test this quite a while ago. The total was either 42 or 43 and the explosion was 16 bolts. On a perfect hit you can assume 18 - 22 bolts hit a single target, depending on direction.
 

chubbypuppy

Member
Dec 2, 2003
568
0
255
So basically the orb is very good on-target kill, whereas blizz can get more raw damage and cover more target per cast, imho.
 

Peppe

Member
Nov 3, 2004
330
0
122
there was a big thread on this a while ago that after doing baal runs to compare found blizzard got through the packs quicker, but FO killed baal faster. So in the end they come up fairly even... I like blizz cuase you can hide behind that hut in pindle's room and cast blizzard on him without much/any risk to yourself.

I'm considering modifying the blizzball build i used (basically 50/50 cold fire skill distribution) swapping in Frozen orb as the main/only cold skill. Cuase i never used the secondary cold skill with blizzard last ladder. I'm thinking fully synergized FO with fireball/metoer. I don't like meteorb build cuase i don't like fire as a primary. Blizz and fireball work quite well together since you can get off about 3 between blizz casts. Not sure how FO and fireball will work. I think fire is strong enough with 46 points in it to take out cold immunes (thats what i ended up with this season and never had a problem). Cold recieved 54 points for blizz+1synergy+rest in mastery.
 

Diablo47

Member
Feb 16, 2005
11
0
1
Slovenia
Peppe said:
I'm considering modifying the blizzball build i used (basically 50/50 cold fire skill distribution) swapping in Frozen orb as the main/only cold skill. Cuase i never used the secondary cold skill with blizzard last ladder. I'm thinking fully synergized FO with fireball/metoer. I don't like meteorb build cuase i don't like fire as a primary. Blizz and fireball work quite well together since you can get off about 3 between blizz casts. Not sure how FO and fireball will work. I think fire is strong enough with 46 points in it to take out cold immunes (thats what i ended up with this season and never had a problem). Cold recieved 54 points for blizz+1synergy+rest in mastery.

I'm on a simular route in singleplayer. 20 orb, 10 CM, 20 Fball, 20 F bolt, 10 FM. From here on i alternate between ice bolt and FM. I'm diching meteor and in doing so avoiding puting points in inferno, fire wall, blaze. My goal is max Fball damage for min skill points spent.
 

HelzCaretaker

Member
Feb 11, 2004
1,092
0
165
HELL
AndyChrono said:
Blizz sorcs are only better at MF-ing if you use a bot. Why? Because bots aren't smart enough to aim orb correctly to maximize damage output. Blizz needs at least 10 times the damage of FO to kill single monsters (i.e Act Bosses) at even the same speed as a good FO user. Blizz shines the most against small, compact groups of monsters (i.e Baal's minions).

Bots don't need to be mentioned here. Blizz sorc's also tend to be a single element where you can get a decent orb with a 2nd spell (fireball is my fav), single elemental characters need a ba merc to kill all those immunes, and a few monsters are both so then you're basically screwed.
 

chubbypuppy

Member
Dec 2, 2003
568
0
255
Dont forget, you can always help your merc by using static to cut down the monsters to 1/2, then use telekinesis to knock back/stun the monsters so the merc can do his job. That stun may not seem like much, but it seems like my merc does incredible amounts of damage at times when I TK the monsters.