• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

How to become a Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

bammargera

Jul 24, 2005
How to become a Mod

I'm farely new to the forums and i have a question about how to become a Mod. (Im not asking to be one) So what exactly do you have to do to become one? have lots of posts? or what?

Apr 10, 2005
Ohio
Lets just say it involves a plastic pony, 23 chickens covered in baby oil, and Jennifer Lopez playing the bagpipes.

Where it goes from there i have no idea.

Johnson

Trojan Man

May 1, 2005
I Think this is how it goes.

A Admin sees a person who hasnt broken the rules and sees them on alot helping people and reporting spam. The admin than makes the a Moderator? There are lots of people that do this put this one person stands out from the rest. (Or bribs the admin :p)

Hope I've Helped.

TROJAN MAN!

Phyrexial

Jun 23, 2003
forums.diabloii.net
bammargera said:
I'm farely new to the forums and i have a question about how to become a Mod. (Im not asking to be one) So what exactly do you have to do to become one? have lots of posts? or what?
- Be here for a very long time.
- Be a productive and helpful member of the community.
- Be knowledgeable about the game.
- Have good people skills (ie patience)
- Be well liked by the forum community.
- Have the admins like you.

Usually these things combine to make someone a mod. Oh yeah, and make sure the admins like you.

mhl12

Jul 3, 2004
USA
Here's how.

Don't ask this question. Anyone who asks is autmatically off the list of people who can be considered moderators. :D

Phyrexial

Jun 23, 2003
forums.diabloii.net
mhl12 said:
Here's how.

Don't ask this question. Anyone who asks is autmatically off the list of people who can be considered moderators. :D
Yeah, pretty much. Anyone that needs someone to tell them what it would take to become a moderator probably isn't suited to being a moderator.

The thread starter said he wasn't inquiring for the job though, but I figured it was a pertinent fact to throw in.

ActVTristPwnt

Aug 2, 2005
North Carolina
The best way to become a Mod is never ask this question. A mod of any type for the matter. If you wan't to become a mIRC Mod in #useast-dclone, never ask this question. Just spend a lot of time there, helping others, build trust between others and yourself.

Also, just for your own safety, try to avoid asking this question in any form. As you can see, here mhl covered the fact you shouldn't ask in a nice form. However, if you were to ask this question on mIRC you would get "flamed" by several people, some would call you a noob, and then a Moderator would join in and say "Don't ask that."

Aug 1, 2005
I don't understand why asking how to become one would be a negative thing?

I mean think about it. When it comes to a job and you want a promotion but you clearly haven't received it and don't see one coming, don't any of you feel it would be in the best interest to ASK what you could be doing better? If you don't ask, how will you learn? Not to mention, I know when I was working at my most recent job, I wanted to become a manager. Now had I not asked how to become one and what responsibilities I would hold, I may have never gotten the position. Higher authorities like to see people make an interest. Personally, I think his interest in being a mod (if he wanted the position) would work FOR him. Thats just my own opinion.

Phyrexial

Jun 23, 2003
forums.diabloii.net
FatalAquaintance said:
I don't understand why asking how to become one would be a negative thing?

I mean think about it. When it comes to a job and you want a promotion but you clearly haven't received it and don't see one coming, don't any of you feel it would be in the best interest to ASK what you could be doing better? If you don't ask, how will you learn? Not to mention, I know when I was working at my most recent job, I wanted to become a manager. Now had I not asked how to become one and what responsibilities I would hold, I may have never gotten the position. Higher authorities like to see people make an interest. Personally, I think his interest in being a mod (if he wanted the position) would work FOR him. Thats just my own opinion.
The main reason I can think of would be they want someone that genuinely is helpful and isn't acting in a certain way to be conducive to becoming a mod with that as their intention. When someone helps others on the board and is productive for the simple sake that they want to be helpful members of the community, it shows. When someone makes thier desire to be a mod known, you have to think "is this person just being nice to become a mod?" This can work to undermine their intentions because they can seem less genuine in their desire to be a helpful member.

I was a mod, now promoted to admin on another site for example. I had no aspirations of being a mod and the thought never crossed my mind, I just posted as I saw fit. The staff apparently took a liking to how I posted and promoted me.

To use your job analogy, what is your opinion of two people doing the same job enthusiastically but one of them has consistantly made it known that he wants a raise or promoting while the other just strives to do his best in his current job? As a boss, I would be wary of weather or not the person asking will continue on with the same enthusiasm if he was given what he wants or perhaps abuse the new power given to him. Granted the person may make an excellent employee, but to me that person would come off as a bit seedy.

ActVTristPwnt

Aug 2, 2005
North Carolina
You don't ask because if there were a certain set of specifications for you to meet to become a Mod, everyone would try to meet these and in turn many people would become Mods, even people that don't deserve it. When one becomes a Mod it is not because they met a certain criteria, it is because the Admin as well as Mods have discussed and agreed that you deserve the abilities that Mods are given, such as closing threads, creating stickies, etc.

Aug 1, 2005
ActVTristPwnt said:
When one becomes a Mod it is not because they met a certain criteria, it is because the Admin as well as Mods have discussed and agreed that you deserve the abilities that Mods are given, such as closing threads, creating stickies, etc.

I disagree. If a person hasn't "met a certain criteria" then they wouldn't even be considered for a position. Clearly they were displaying certain traits or characteristics worthy of becoming a Mod.

As far as the elaboration on the job analogy. I would DEFINATELY go for the person who has made it clear that they want the position. You would rather promote someone who has no interest in the job than someone striving for it? That makes no sense to me. If the person that clearly stated they wanted the promotion in such a way that you could just feel the sketchiness.. then thats one thing. However, if a person displays their strong desire for a promotion through hard work and verbal interest... well I can't think of a better candidate. I would want to hire someone that I KNOW wants it. Whether or not they will succeed the expectations and continue the hard work is simply a risk EVERY authority hiring the next level has to consider and risk.

Superhal

Jul 5, 2003
Visit site
imho it's obvious to every one who regularly goes to a certain forum that certain posters should be mods. often, that person doesn't really want the job but takes it for the same reasons that made them respected in the first place.

[edit] another thought: a poll of regulars to a forum will be 100% accurate as to who has the qualities of a good mod.

Phyrexial

Jun 23, 2003
forums.diabloii.net
FatalAquaintance said:
As far as the elaboration on the job analogy. I would DEFINATELY go for the person who has made it clear that they want the position. You would rather promote someone who has no interest in the job than someone striving for it? That makes no sense to me. If the person that clearly stated they wanted the promotion in such a way that you could just feel the sketchiness.. then thats one thing. However, if a person displays their strong desire for a promotion through hard work and verbal interest... well I can't think of a better candidate. I would want to hire someone that I KNOW wants it. Whether or not they will succeed the expectations and continue the hard work is simply a risk EVERY authority hiring the next level has to consider and risk.
There is a difference between someone that is trying hard but doesn't voice a desire for promotion and someone that has no interest at all. There are alot of different variables to consider, but like I said the person that voices their opinion "strongly" is the person I would be wary about. You can mention it in passing or jokingly, but pushing the subject paints a big red "WARNING" sign on the person's head for me. I know there are nice ways to ask in the job world, but here on forums it's one of those big no no's. As an admin, the last person I'd want to appoint to be on my staff is someone that seriously requests to become a mod unless I have known them for a very long time and trust them.

Superhal said:
imho it's obvious to every one who regularly goes to a certain forum that certain posters should be mods. often, that person doesn't really want the job but takes it for the same reasons that made them respected in the first place.
Agreed.

Aug 1, 2005
I stand corrected... I was getting '95 off the back of the cd case but on the Diablo cd it says 96.. which would still be near 9 yrs and long enough to make me... a poor sap for still playing video games.. wow i'm a loser haha j/k

I can c where you are coming from but again you are misreading what I said. I'm not talking about a person who pushes to become a higher authority but rather, as I thought I clearly said, expresses an interest.. and I didn't say the other person had no interest in the job itself, but more so the promotion.... sorry if that second part wasn't so clear... I may have mis...typed..

edit: yes i c now that i mistyped.. when i said "you would rather hire someone with no interest in the job rather than someone striving for it"

JOB should have been POSITION

Superhal

Jul 5, 2003
Visit site
that's about how it goes. in the promotions i have seen since i have been here, most have been need-based and the admin have asked individuals to do the job. in a few cases, the need has been so severe that people have volunteered. in the former, usually there's no problem as the person who takes it is usually well-respected in the forum. the latter though causes a lot of problems, as the most severe needs occur in the most contentious forums.

Aug 1, 2005
forums are addicting

reason: I find it sad when 6 of the threads on the front page have had most recent posts all made by ...me... :whistle:

Reckless

May 1, 2005
USA
This is all fine and good, but still think Johnson had the right idea. There IS an interview, best to wear a lizard suit and bring a jar of mayonnaise...

Gorny

Banned
Sep 9, 2003
bammargera said:

Posting in public will almost guarantee that not happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.