• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Hi i am new here,would like to introduce myself and ask a few questions.

asheley

Aug 15, 2005
tennessee
Hi i am new here,would like to introduce myself and ask a few questions.

Hi everyone, I am new to sp mode of d2.Actualy my highest charachter ever was only a 44 sorcerer on bnet.So still new to game realy as well.
I am 39 and a woman in real life so if some things dont click fast with me please be patient, this brain is old.!;]I am a veteran of uo,daoc,eq2,wow and tons of other games,but d2 i have played off and on for years.Its always been my kick back and relax game. I play solo on bnet,and now trying out this on sp cause i really like the ideal of atma. And of not loosing my charachters if i forget to log in for 3 months..

That said i have a few questions.
1. With the maps being the same in sp,when you start up a new game does the monsters scale with your new levels or is the rogue area then going to be level 1?
2. Atma... ok i been trying to figure this out,i can not drag and drop the pictures from my charachter to my mule.Now i created a stash,and it put items in it,but well how do i get them back on a charachter?I have read the atma pages, and various threads and still am realy having problems with this.
Would anyone be so nice as to say ok,do this for step 1. then step 2 etc. Explain it like ya would to ya mother or wife! lol.
Thats about it,thanks all. :clap:

Mankey

Mar 31, 2005
California
asheley said:
1. With the maps being the same in sp,when you start up a new game does the monsters scale with your new levels or is the rogue area then going to be level 1?
2. Atma... ok i been trying to figure this out,i can not drag and drop the pictures from my charachter to my mule.Now i created a stash,and it put items in it,but well how do i get them back on a charachter?I have read the atma pages, and various threads and still am realy having problems with this.
Would anyone be so nice as to say ok,do this for step 1. then step 2 etc. Explain it like ya would to ya mother or wife! lol.

1. Monsters are always going to be the same no matter your level. But the nice thing about d2 is as you level you move further in the game, and the further you get the harder the monsters become. Once you "beat" the game then you can move into Nightmare, which is the same as normal... But harder :D (Monsters get stronger, you get penalties such as -resistances)

2. Once you have items in a stash to get them back. On the left hand side you have a tree. (Kind of like windows explorer) Lets say you want to find a ring.

Open the Misc folder -> then open the rings folder... There are all your rings sorted by alphabetical order :)

To move it back to a character just click on the name then drag that on to an open area on your character :)

PS. Welcome to the SPF

Jude

Jul 10, 2003
www.wondrousuniverse.com
In single-player, if you start a new game with a new character, the maps are randomly redrawn, and your new character starts at level 1. But if you meant restart a game with the same character, then the map will be the same although the monster assortment and shrines and drops will vary each time. I'm pretty sure the monsters don't scale with your new levels.

I don't know about ATMA.

BTW, I'm a woman, too, and older than a lot of the people here, and glad to help, if I did. ;)
Jude

asheley said:
Hi everyone, I am new to sp mode of d2.Actualy my highest charachter ever was only a 44 sorcerer on bnet.So still new to game realy as well.
I am 39 and a woman in real life so if some things dont click fast with me please be patient, this brain is old.!;]I am a veteran of uo,daoc,eq2,wow and tons of other games,but d2 i have played off and on for years.Its always been my kick back and relax game. I play solo on bnet,and now trying out this on sp cause i really like the ideal of atma. And of not loosing my charachters if i forget to log in for 3 months..

That said i have a few questions.

WayWardSoul

Jun 3, 2005
nebraska
Hi welcome to the SPF
1 was anwsered on 2, left click on the item name or picture, and hold it down, move the curser to to your invertory, and place the cursor hand in the upper left corner of where the item would set, and release the left clicked button. A little pratice and it gets easier, I had trouble with it to start also.

asheley

Aug 15, 2005
tennessee
Ok thanks everyone for the answers i will see if i can get atma to work better

with practice;]
ok i tried some more,got main charachters items pictures open,and mules item pictures open,tried moving a item from main to mule.No luck,i can move items around in the main ones pictures but i cant get it to transfer the picture to the mules inventory.
The hand turns into a circle with a slash through it,and it just wont let me do it out of the main inventory picture.
ok tried some more i can move items from stash to main charachter but it wont let me move them to mule.

WayWardSoul

Jun 3, 2005
nebraska
asheley said:
with practice;]
ok i tried some more,got main charachters items pictures open,and mules item pictures open,tried moving a item from main to mule.No luck,i can move items around in the main ones pictures but i cant get it to transfer the picture to the mules inventory.
The hand turns into a circle with a slash through it,and it just wont let me do it out of the main inventory picture.
ok tried some more i can move items from stash to main charachter but it wont let me move them to mule.
the hand has to be centered in one of the little squares so if you had a armor that took up 2x3 squares place the hand in the top left square that the 2x3 armor would sit on. Just open a charater with items and pick them up and move them around some, you'll get it

maxgerin

Jun 22, 2003
Phil.
www.freewebs.com
asheley said:
with practice;]

Maybe a difference in your version setting?
ATMA can create stashes/mules ranging from v1.07 to v1.10 (or v1.11, since technically save files wasn't change).
You can only move items from, say, a v1.09 character to a v1.09 stash or mule.

To move items from v1.09 to v1.10, you have to either (1) play a v1.09 character in a v1.10 game OR (2) get a v1.09 item (or several) from a v1.09 stash and put them inside a v1.09 character and open that character in v1.10 game. I think same goes with other versions. However, it is only one way ride for the item. Meaning... v1.09 items, once converted to v1.10, cannot return to v1.09.

Hope that helps! :)

EDIT:
Oh, of course I forgot the most important part... where's my manners :rolleyes: :lol:
Welcome to the forums! :thumbsup:

--maxgerin

Quickdeath

Sep 18, 2004
Knoxville, TN
One thing to remember is that you don't really need mules anymore. ATMA allows you to create a stash that has infinite size, and you should be able to take items out of the stash and put them into characters - without a mule.

Maybe this will help. When an item is in the ATMA stash and you have located it on the tree, click on it -the picture of the item should appear in the viewing window. Now, click on the item and drag it to the character. Of course, the character's display screen must be open -you cannot just drag it to the charcter's name on a tree.. If an item is large, say 2x4, then placing it in the character's open stash areas can be tricky. The thing to remember is that the cursor should be dragged to the upper left box of the open area that you are dragging an item to.

Welcome to SPF. And, I'm older than you, by the way, so don't worry about the age thing.

EnerSense

Feb 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Hi and welcome to SPF! I'm also in my 30's and I like playing this game when I have the time. All of the info that was given to you is correct. Not sure if you have done this but let me add my .02.

1)Click on File tab which you will see on the top left of the screen and select D2s file.

2)Click on the picture of your character. This will open up your inventory. You'll also notice a tree on the left hand side. (You can always store items you don't need in that tree by clicking on the D2X file and open the appropriate menus that you want to place the items in. You can also retrieve it from there and place it in your inventory.)

3)To mule, click on the top left tab which looks like a piece of paper. It will ask you to set the path. Pick a place where you can easily retrieve the file in case something happens to it. Once you have done this make sure both inventory screen and mule screens are open.

4)Pick an item and place the cursor on it. Left click and drag from one screen to the other. You may need to move the screens around because sometimes one screen covers the other. I usually have the screens overlap to solve that problem.

I hope this helps. If not, go to the ATMA thread for more assistance. -ES :)

TrubbaNot

Jun 21, 2005
Midwest US
Hi, and welcome to the SPF! 39 isn't old...I've been 39 for several years now (just turned 39 for the 6th time a week ago) :D The SPF doesn't think women are dumb -- they call us Elite Uniques (EUs) and we are treated as equals and held in high esteem.

When you click on your existing character to play a game, if you're still in Act 1 you will appear in the Rogue Camp. If you were in the Black Marsh the last time you played, for instance, when you take the waypoint and click on your automap it will show you everywhere you've gone there. It will be full of monsters again, but they don't scale. The Blood Moor in Normal will always have fallen (without shamans...er...shamen?) and quill rats and zombies. They will stay at the same monster level until you hit Nightmare, when they are harder to kill. Then they'll stay at their same Nightmare monster level until you start Hell.

I would bet that max just solved your ATMA problem.

asheley

Aug 15, 2005
tennessee
woot

Thanks all i finaly get it i believe, once i realized i dont got to use mules! hehe i can now transfer items from my characthers to the stash and back again wooohoo! the mule file was one taht was giving me such a headache it wouldnt let me transfer to it.Thank you all so much!
the problem was since mule did not exist in game it wouldnt let me give it items.
it was a erm pretend mule?lol i had this ideal we would have paper mules if that makes sense. But atma works great on real charachters.!

TheWormishOne

May 10, 2005
Oslo, Norway
asheley said:
Thanks all i finaly get it i believe, once i realized i dont got to use mules! hehe i can now transfer items from my characthers to the stash and back again wooohoo! the mule file was one taht was giving me such a headache it wouldnt let me transfer to it.Thank you all so much!
the problem was since mule did not exist in game it wouldnt let me give it items.
it was a erm pretend mule?lol i had this ideal we would have paper mules if that makes sense. But atma works great on real charachters.!

maxgerin's reply hit the nail on the head, I think. It sounds like you were trying to transfer item's between characters of different versions. I you for some reason would like to use a traditional mule at any time, here's the "for dummies" explanation:

1. In ATMA's main menu bar click "Utility"
2. Select "New Character" (it's the first option.)
- Alternativly to step 1 and 2 you can just press Ctrl and N simultaneously.
3. A box entitled "New Character Parameters" will appaer in the middle of the screen.
4. Most of the options in this box shouldn't matter much. Change the name to something descripitive of the mule's contents if you want to. Do take note of the file path, this is where the mule file will be located on your hard drive(s).
5. Now for the version. Some advanced players like to have several versions of DiabloII installed at the same time, but it sounds like you're not quite at that level yet. The most logical course of action would therefore be to change the version in the "Version" pull-down menu to the same as your DiabloII install. (If your running 1.11 it should be set to 1.10.)
6. Click "ok". The mule should now be ready for item transfers without any hassle.
7. If it still doesn't work, load the character(s) from which you want to transfer items in the game, to make sure they'e converted to the right version.

Phew! All typing and no fun makes Wormish a dull boy...

Welcome to the SPF!

WayWardSoul

Jun 3, 2005
nebraska
Another thing thats nice is you can make different staches and use different names like Sets, Rare Items, Jewels, ect. ect. That way it takes less time to find your item you want, and if you do it early it don't take 3 hours later to sort it all out like it did me. :lol:

Llathias

Banned
Mar 12, 2005
Turkey
Welcome to the Single Player Forum community! I believe you will have a better experience here than in battle.net (playing solo, you shouldn't have met the worst part, but there is no lag in SP either). Only, Blizzard North thinks that Single Players should be doomed, so you will lack a few features (like some runewords or extraordinarily powerful clone bosses).

I don't think the mules created by ATMA are "fake characters", but you can always open the game and create a character, which you can then use as a mule (note: you'll have to reload the save folder to see the new character). I personally use mules to store gems/runes to upgrade; it's just easier to see and transfer.

Also, neither being a woman nor early mid-age causes you problems with the game and related applications. The problems are almost always the result of inexperience, lack of interest or technical issues. The lack of interest, hence the inexperience, however, are directly related to your responsibilities and tastes in real life though, which is connected to your age and gender.

Once again; welcome! :clap:

Edit: This is the most descriptive and civilized thread title I have seen on these forums.

water_moon

Jul 19, 2004
IL, USA
Welcome! Enjoy this goodie basket of baked goods and squid repelant. Another EU! We have our own lounge in the EMB (the virtural bar) that's always stocked with chocolates and other sweet goodies; and as you may have noticed, we're thoughrly respected (the boys know better than to risk it) & age matters not. :)

asheley

Aug 15, 2005
tennessee
thanks for the offering

water_moon said:
Welcome! Enjoy this goodie basket of baked goods and squid repelant. Another EU! We have our own lounge in the EMB (the virtural bar) that's always stocked with chocolates and other sweet goodies; and as you may have noticed, we're thoughrly respected (the boys know better than to risk it) & age matters not. :)
i shall enjoy them all, "brews up some coffee" and offers it around.