• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Help with a Martyr Paladin

tmd turka

Aug 2, 2005
Help with a Martyr Paladin

Hi All

Its my first time posting here and I need some advice on a build I am working on. I am so tired of making a Paladin that everyone has (zealers, vindicators, hammerdins, etc...) and I want to try something different. I was thinking of creating a Martyr paladin but I have no idea what gear I need or what its stats should be. I also do not know how expensive this build is and I am not a rich player. What I do know is the skills I need for this build and the fact that ill need lots of life leech. Any advice or useful alterations to the setup i have would be nice.

Skills (assuming I reach level 90)

Sacrafice-max
Fanaticism-max
Redemption-max
Holy Shield-max
Defiance-rest (about 14 by my count)

Stats
Strength-enough for some decent armor (150+ i guess)
Dex-enough for max block (i guess close to 200)
Vit-rest
Energy-None

Gear (this is where i need the most help)
Helm-Andys or Shako
Armor- Principle (more likely to get a gul then an enigma)
Shield- HOZ
Belt- Nosferatus coil
Gloves- Soul Drain
Weapon- (No idea whats goin here and I cant afford much)

By the way I would like to know if this would be a viable Pvp build

Thanks for the Help

Indemaijinj

Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
Visit site
Bah, Principle is plain out just not worth it. If you care enough about Defense to actually put points in Defiance you should atleast have an armour with a good defense rating. If you want insane damage you would be better off with a Fortitude. If you just want defense you could use a Stone.

Unless you are a Hammerdin you shouldn't go +skills crazy and +skills is the only thing Principle has to offer, unless you happen to have some kind of Holy Bolt fetish.

JanusJones

Feb 10, 2005
St. Louis, MO, USA
Couple of things you should know before you start. First of all, I second the statement about Principle - it's not worth it. Second of all, you should be aware that a Martyr will NEVER fly in Hell without at LEAST wearing Dracul's Grasp. I've tried it before, and even with over 50%+ total life leech my character was constantly commiting seppuku - funny for everyone in the game ("Torrismund was slain by Torrismund" always got a few "rofl"s) but annoying for me.

You NEED Life Tap on cast with your gear (possibily even on switch - I found a wand with charges that I used liberally, but repairing it was *expensive*!). Couple of places you can get this:

Dracul's Grasp
Vampirebone Gloves
Indestructible
90-120% Enhanced Defense
+10-15 to Strength
+5-10 Life After Each Kill
25% Open Wounds
7-10% Life Stolen Per Hit
5% Chance to Cast Slvl 10 Life Tap on Striking

This is the cheapest option, but will cost you some IAS. Also, you'll NEED to use Zeal to get this cast, when you can then switch to Sacrifice for one-hit killing the baddies.

Exile
Paladin Shield (4 sockets): Vex, Ohm, Ist, Dol
Required clvl: 57
15% Chance to Cast Slvl 5 Life Tap on Striking
Slvl 13-16 Defiance Aura when Equipped
+2 to Offensive Auras (Paladin only)
+30% Faster Block Rate
Freezes Target
+220-260% Enhanced Defense
Replenish Life +7
+5% to Maximum Cold Resist
+5% to Maximum Fire Resist
25% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items
Repairs 1 Durability in 4 Seconds

This is the "IT" gear since the 1.11 patch, given that it makes for a ridiculously effective smiter shield. It also needs to be built into an Ethereal 4 socket Paladin shield, which ups the price even further. The benefits are obvious: INSANE defense, +2 to auras, faster block rate. The part YOU'LL need is the 15% chance to cast Life Tap on hit - once again, you'll have to rely on Zeal to cast it, since the hit rate will be nice and fast.

Last Wish
Swords, Hammers, Axes (6 sockets): Jah, Mal, Jah, Sur, Jah, Ber
Required clvl: ?
6% Chance to Cast Slvl 11 Fade when Struck
10% Chance to Cast Slvl 18 Life Tap on Striking
20% Chance to Cast Slvl 20 Charged Bolt on Attack
Slvl 17 Might Aura when Equipped
+330-375% Enhanced Damage
Ignore Target's Defense
60-70% Chance of Crushing Blow
Prevent Monster Heal
Hit Blinds Target
0.5% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items Per Clvl

This is one of the most expensive (and therefore rarest!) items in the game. It has HUGE base damage, a level 17 Might aura, HUGE Crushing Blow, ITD, Prevent Monster Heal, Fade when Struck (extra +56% resist all and 11% physical damage reduction, anyone?) and hey, what the hell, some nice MF. It also has NO IAS. This makes it a choice which can be questionable. However, paired with Fanaticism and some decent IAS gear this is one of the best Zealot weapons in the game, in my humble opinion. The main drawbacks? First of all, cost. I have one - it was hard to get my hands on, lemme tell ya. Second, you have to have the right gear to complement it or you'll be swinging so slowly you'll make frozen Werebears look like Speedy Gonzales.

So . . . while I commend you for wanting to try out a new build (I'm a BIG fan of weird builds myself :thumbsup: ) I must caution you: Martyrs are hard to play and expensive to equip. They are NOT a poor man's build - you may want to reconsider your plan.

If you're looking for a nice cheap (but non-standard) build, how about a Holy Shock pally? They are dirt cheap to build (hell, you can PUNCH monsters to death with Zeal in Hell!) and can be a ton of fun. Or perhaps a Conviction/Vengeance pally? How about an Enchantress with Passion in a Phase Blade for a Zealing Fire Sorc? A Phoenix Striker assassin? A Freezing Arrow Zon, or a Mauling Werebear? A Fire-skills Druid? The possibilities are nearly endless - more builds and equipment setups are being thought up all the time - surf the forums some for a few guides if you're interested. Hell, there are so many possibilities out there that I'm having trouble deciding what to build next myself :lol: !

Oh, and a final note: Martyrs are not, nor will ever be, a PvP build. They're held back by one big fat issue: SPEED. They can't swing fast enough to take out any of the other melee classes, and they won't be able to catch the casters - best give up on that idea right now.

Hope all this helped - stay cool!