• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Hammerdin Mercenary

Thy Tempest

Aug 1, 2005
Michigan
Hammerdin Mercenary

Allright, so I did a search and found a lot about different merc equip, which i really didnt need to know because I know what I need/can afford. My question is if I should go with an A2 Defiance or A2 Holy Freeze. Right now I am feeling the defiance , since I wont have the best armor due to ladder reset. Right now I have the runes for insight, but am holding off till I find a good elite polearm, currently no form of leech or any descent armor :(. Hoping to find a gaze or CoT with mf sorc sooner or later, but her merc still needs gear too soooo....anyway, any input would be nice, thanks

Tempest

schreier

Jun 26, 2003
Columbia, MD
both are good choices ... holy freeze is great because it slows them down, giving you more time to hit them w/ hammers. At the same time - you can get them a "doom" polearm ...

I would say the choices are:

Defiance w/ doom polearm
Holy Freeze w/ high damage polearm

depends on if you can afford doom

Another option (which I actually use), is to take a prayer merc w/ insight. Insight gives me meditation at all times .. and the prayer aura is basically doubled (since it is a synergy w/ meditation)

schreier

Thy Tempest

Aug 1, 2005
Michigan
schreier said:
both are good choices ... holy freeze is great because it slows them down, giving you more time to hit them w/ hammers. At the same time - you can get them a "doom" polearm ...

I would say the choices are:

Defiance w/ doom polearm
Holy Freeze w/ high damage polearm

depends on if you can afford doom

Another option (which I actually use), is to take a prayer merc w/ insight. Insight gives me meditation at all times .. and the prayer aura is basically doubled (since it is a synergy w/ meditation)

schreier

thats fine and dandy but does the prayer actually do anything? for what i have seen of prayer it does like 10 life a second, and when u have like 1K life thats not much at all, just dont wanna get a crappy merc and have to start over

schreier

Jun 26, 2003
Columbia, MD
Honestly - as you get higher level, it gets to be a little more major. And the primary benefit of the merc is to use insight, which helps w/ your mana regen. Honestly, I can spam hammers endlessly as long as my merc is in range and I am benefiting from his aura ...

Lvl 12 meditation is: +575% mana regen. Pretty nice.

Lvl 20 prayer (which I think is the max): 25 life. as a syngergy w/ meditation, that same lvl 20 prayer would provide 20 life over ever 2 seconds. So that is like 45 life every 2 seconds.

Is it HUGE? no. But it can make a difference. And the mana regen really helps a lot. I would not use a prayer merc w/o insight though

As far as "starting over", remember than in 1.11 - mercs can be purchased within 5 levels of you - so you can always switch later.

schreier

Thy Tempest

Aug 1, 2005
Michigan
allright, so in rating the three auras what order would u put in? , keeping in mind that i would like to use insight as wep

Defiance
Holy Freeze
Prayer
?

FreezerBurn

Banned
Dec 16, 2004
Texas
i personally think holy freeze is the way to go. my HF merc on my hammerdin wears andy's, fort and uses an eth insight. it works out to:

3800 life
3200 def
1100-6100 dmg
75/75/80/85 resists

i've let him solo baal runs just to see if he could.

the only expensive piece of gear (when i built him anyway) was the fort. an upped shaftstop is also good and cheap. you'll do about half as much damage and have lower resists, but the 30% reduced damage taken is a nice mod. and a hammerdin really doesn't need his merc to kill. you could even use a non eth insight and still be very effective. his two main purposes are to slow everything down by freezing them and give you nearly infinate mana to teleport and spam hammers.

Thy Tempest

Aug 1, 2005
Michigan
All this advice is fine and dandy but im dirt poor right now. Ive managed to make myself 2x Spirits, lore, stealth, find a bunch of sigons and full milabregas, other than that i pretty much have crap, so only thing i am worried about for now is which aura to use, the gear will have to wait till i have some mf gear, or better, since i have like 100 on sorc right now

thanks

FreezerBurn

Banned
Dec 16, 2004
Texas
same advice regardless of gear. i don't think defiance is all that necessary, you should have good def between holy shield and max defiance (it synergizes HS). holy freeze in my opinion is far more helpful. frozen monsters are much easier to hit and much less likely to hit you as their attack speed is greatly reduced. prayer would be the least helpful. the damage you never take from frozen monsters not attacking you should far outweigh the life you'd get back from prayer.

Thy Tempest

Aug 1, 2005
Michigan
FreezerBurn said:
same advice regardless of gear. i don't think defiance is all that necessary, you should have good def between holy shield and max defiance (it synergizes HS). holy freeze in my opinion is far more helpful. frozen monsters are much easier to hit and much less likely to hit you as their attack speed is greatly reduced. prayer would be the least helpful. the damage you never take from frozen monsters not attacking you should far outweigh the life you'd get back from prayer.
why would i be maxing defiance on a hammerdin....my skills already spreading thin....

FreezerBurn

Banned
Dec 16, 2004
Texas
i was thinking about the smiter i just built when i wrote that. i only put one point in defiance for my hammerdin. but you should be fine with one point in defiance, 1 in holy shield and enough dex to hit max block.

luckyskinnn

Jul 24, 2008
Quebec
Re: Hammerdin Mercenary

I personnally prefer the A2 Holy Freeze Merc. I think it is very useful for a hammerdin since it freezes all nearby enemies, so it gives you more time to kill them. I have tried several strategy with different weapons/runewords and I have to say, a good old Ethereal BOTD War Pike was my favorite polearm. With an Eth Fort and CoA/Gaze, and with the Paladin's Concentration Aura, my merc does over 24k physical damage. Your merc also has around 15+% LL so with a 24k dmg poke, he leeches life like crazy. Sometimes I don't even have to cast hammers I simply tele around close to monters and my merc kill them with a poke or two. An Insight can also be very useful because you can cast hammers indefinitly... It is up to you.. I am having much for fun watching my merc kill monsters in a single hit.