• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Hammer-Smite Build?

Tethir

Mar 31, 2005
Hammer-Smite Build?

If this already is a "true" build, what is it called.

While going fully into a Smiter or Hammer would be more powerful, I sometimes found my Hammerdin to not always be the most fun build to play, so seeing as Smite is not only my favorite build, and that Smite benefits in many ways from a Hammerdin (GCs, Teleport, yada yada) why not combine the two.

I tested it out briefly on a SP char and found that with nearly ideal Hammer gear and level one Smite (not including +skills), my Smite was doing about 2.6k max damage, and Hammer was doing 14k max. I then did a little modifying to skills to max Smite and lower Hammer synergies, and found it only gained about 700 damage, while Hammer lost nearly 5k damage. This was a little discouraging at first, however I then realised a key component was missing... Grief. Now since this is SP, I cannot make a Grief, nor was the +400 damage mod I added to a weapon working, so now I came here.

Would having Grief/Exile as my switch make maxing Smite worth it? I could care less if I lose 5k Hammer damage if I could gain about 2k Smite damage. I am not sure how to formulate this to figure it out on my own, so any help is appreciated.

Beerhelmet

May 24, 2004
It's a vanquisher.

I dunno how you were doing 2.6k dmg with smite and 14k hammers originally. But yea, I'd use a grief. The + dmg mod doesnt show up, but it was working.

Pravada has a guide, in the sticky or whatever it is up top. Doesnt include grief. But it'll be insightful.

Tethir

Mar 31, 2005
Beerhelmet said:
It's a vanquisher.

I dunno how you were doing 2.6k dmg with smite and 14k hammers originally. But yea, I'd use a grief. The + dmg mod doesnt show up, but it was working.

Pravada has a guide, in the sticky or whatever it is up top. Doesnt include grief. But it'll be insightful.
Level 47 Hammers and HS does the trick.

Tethir

Mar 31, 2005
The things I had were basically what every Hammerdin has. HOTO, Enigma, HoZ, etc.

And to add... I tried as my switch to use Beast + Exile. It wasn't entirely bad however I dunno if using Beast would be comparable to using Grief. Sure Grief would give me more damage, however Fanat from Beast gave me better IAS.

Jan 1, 2005
sweden
Tethir said:
The things I had were basically what every Hammerdin has. HOTO, Enigma, HoZ, etc.

And to add... I tried as my switch to use Beast + Exile. It wasn't entirely bad however I dunno if using Beast would be comparable to using Grief. Sure Grief would give me more damage, however Fanat from Beast gave me better IAS.

ah u did conc only build, i screwed up and went for conc/fana

Tethir

Mar 31, 2005
So whats the PvP ability of this build? I can't test in SP because all the duelers are hacked.

vietl0yalty

Dec 26, 2004
depending on ur setup it *mite* work

smite/hammers are both short ranged attacks... but since u are using grief... charge is also an option and doesnt require much skill points at all (thanx to grief) if anything u can always max vigor for the cross synergy between charge and hammers... and the rest of ur points into whatever u prefer

tho it mite be kinda difficult (not impossible) to balance out decent faster cast rate with 6fpa smite (assuming u want max speed), u can always have a caster switch and a smite switch at the cost of no cta

i have yet to see one in a duel but the new ladder runewords have brought more versatility to the table... so choose your equipment wisely and good luck on ur quest... feel free to share with us ur experience if u do decide to go thru with it

bballguy

Banned
Apr 22, 2008
Re: Hammer-Smite Build?

guys, isnt this build = hdin with grief..?

what makes it different to what i said above?

ty

UberB

Dec 21, 2007
Beijing, China
Re: Hammer-Smite Build?

guys, isnt this build = hdin with grief..?

That's what I figured out of it too. I can't see hammer/smite being as effective as say foh/smite, foh/hammer, hammer/charge, etc... since they're both short ranged attacks. When you are smiting you could also be hammering away so it's possible that smite even makes you weaker. I figure the reason hybrid builds are powerful is because a) they force your opponent to stack on one element and sacrifice others, b) they have attacks that compliment each other's weaknesses.

A hammer/smite build doesn't accomplish either of these. Only DR needs to be stacked and both are short ranged attacks. Compare this to say a v/t which has a short range smite melee for barbs etc, and a long range, auto hit foh for casters, to force opponents to stack res, and to finish off those at low health.

Hammer/smite probably turns into a hammerdin with grief anyway, hammers are too powerful.