• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Guest Article: Top Ten Best/Worst Quests

Grizmorean

Aug 2, 2005
Good read and I agree with most of your picks. I just wish you had included that stupid quest involving the maggot lair as one of the worst. That is the worst area in the game.

Rane-

Apr 23, 2004
Sydney, Australia
Brilliant, simply brilliant. It made me laugh in the very same way I remember Flux's columns did (high school library, reading purediablo.com instead of studying for finals, crying with laughter, recieving death stares from librarians :lol:.)

Excellent use of language, wonderful content, and my type of humour. I give it 2 thumbs up :thumbsup::thumbsup:.

buggingbad

Banned
Jul 22, 2005
>Of course I could just touch all of them, then, when I get the right one it'll start to glow, then I'll just touch the rest till the next one starts to glow, and so on. That's a maximum of 5+4+3+2+1 touches - 15.

Meesa no think so. I'd say it's 5! * 5, which comes to 600 touches I believe.

Check me if I'm wrong though...

IronCamel

Jul 5, 2004
Nope, it's 15. The first on can take you a maximum of 5 guesses to get right. Then it glows so you won't hit it again, leaving 4 maximum for the next one. And so forth.

buggingbad

Banned
Jul 22, 2005
>Then it glows

Before you have the scroll? Am I missing something?

If you don't memorize or refer to the scroll the game gives you a maximum of 15 touches to get it right. Presumably the character *really* only touches them in the right order. But if you don't know the right order (i.e., in the example in your essay), the game shouldn't be so kind, necessitating the aforementioned 600 touches at most.

skihard

Banned
Jun 23, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
buggingbad said:
>Of course I could just touch all of them, then, when I get the right one it'll start to glow, then I'll just touch the rest till the next one starts to glow, and so on. That's a maximum of 5+4+3+2+1 touches - 15.

Meesa no think so. I'd say it's 5! * 5, which comes to 600 touches I believe.

Check me if I'm wrong though...

You are wrong sir and the author is correct. The reason is that every time you touch a correct one it lights up and you know not to touch that one again. There is the possibility of multiply the 15 by 3 for each level giving you a max of 45 touches for the entire game. Even taking that into consideration the number of touches is still about 555 less than the number you came up with.

Let me also add that in the event the stone didn’t glow after touching it so you would eliminate it from being touched the Max number of touches would still only be 25. This could be accomplished simply by walking around in a circle with your hand out 5 times. By the competition of 5 revolutions you would have touch and activate every one.

Now let us say that you had to touch every one in the correct order without touching an incorrect one or it resets making you have to start again. You get about 5 + (1*4) + (2*3) + (3*2) + (4*1) or 26. Now if they don’t light up and they reset if touched in the improper order the numbers get pretty high in realm of about 3,125 touches before getting it right.

buggingbad

Banned
Jul 22, 2005
>Now if they don’t light up and they reset if touched in the improper order the numbers get pretty high in realm of about 3,125 touches before getting it right.

That's the number of possible combinations (=15625 touches) if the solution can include repeats, e.g., stone #4, #1, #3, #3, #1, which it does not. The actual number of possible touches necessary to crack the code (granted, without light-ups), and again check me if I'm wrong, is 600.

Where are our statistics gurus when you need them?

ShockTactics

Aug 8, 2005
West Lothian
www.alldumb.com
hehe, nice article, glad to see these come back :)

Isn't it 5 seals to unleash Diablo's might? Or am I just going plain crazy? :scratch:

Well, before the men in white jackets take me away, nice article again :clap:

AnimeCraze

Jul 13, 2005
Vancouver
Why is everyone trying to talk in combinatorics here? Also, does anyone seems to think that Summoner, Blood Raven, and Diablo are the original 3 characters in Diablo I? (Sorcerer, Rogue, Warrior)

DrSquishy

Aug 18, 2005
Australia
buggingbad said:
>Now if they don’t light up and they reset if touched in the improper order the numbers get pretty high in realm of about 3,125 touches before getting it right.

That's the number of possible combinations (=15625 touches) if the solution can include repeats, e.g., stone #4, #1, #3, #3, #1, which it does not. The actual number of possible touches necessary to crack the code (granted, without light-ups), and again check me if I'm wrong, is 600.

Where are our statistics gurus when you need them?

Ahhh, I'm glad I'm a probability/actuarial major sometimes.... :)

Total number of combinations with resets and repetition is 3125 (being, as people pointed out, 5*5*5*5*5). That is, you would need 5*3125 = 15675 clicks to get the whole way round. Even after considering the chance that you'll get it before the very last one, probability dictates that you'll need around 2000 tries before you're likely to get the right combination. That's still around 10000 clicks - I can survive without identifies until I get to the Dark Wood....

Total number of combinations with resets but without repetition is 120 (being 5*4*3*2*1). You can sit there and count the combinations if you want: if you only have one stone, that's it. If you have two stones, there are two possible ways of picking them. Three stones = 6 ways. Four stones = 24 ways. Five stones therefore = 120 ways. Or 600 clicks. On average, you'll get it on the 75th try, which means around 375 clicks. Still not very nice...

If the sequence lights up with resets, then there's only one way that you really need to try. But there is a worst case scenario where you try each of the stones, and the first stone you need is the last one you click. Then you try all the next stones, but you've got really bad luck, so it's the last one too. If you work your way around with the most awful luck you can get (other than being somehow slain by Bishibosh, in which case, you don't deserve free identifies), at most it'll take you 25 clicks to unlock the portal.

Easiest case as it is in the game without repetition and without resets and with the sequence lighting up after you click the right stone (after reading the scroll, I never pay attention to the pretty runes anyway), the most it can take you is 15 clicks (with really really bad luck).

Unfortunately, as we all know, we actually need to read the scroll first (you'd think that the sorceress would be a bit smarter than the amazon, or perhaps that the characters might remember what happened 5 acts ago and not need the runes, but anyway....), so it's all really a moot point. Imagine how bad it would be in a multiplayer game if it reset if you clicked the wrong stone - you could get some idiots amusing themselves by clicking stones out of order and stopping people from getting into tristram :p

[ends maths lesson here]

Back on topic, great article, it's good to see another top ten/best-worst list :)

KoRnScythe

Aug 21, 2005
SD, USA
This is to Neil.

I really don't want to be rude with your post and opinions... but the "Worst Quests" have, by far, the most undetailed descriptions I've seen. It looks like you just picked 5 random quests, and thought "Gee, these'll do" and started typing away.

I'll give my opinion on each of the 5.

5) The Search for Cain
You seemed to have got carried away with this one, and didn't think about how it's based on a roleplaying-like storyline. Of all things, since Cain was an important and special character, they wanted to keep him alive to either lure him towards them, or get information from him.

When you talked about the clicking stones thing, you seemed to just totally forget the point. Your character, in the storyline, knows nothing about the stones, and has little to no idea that they're anything other than a few stones in an odd order with symbols, so you decide to go ask Akara for more information. Akara tells you about these ancient stones, yatta yatta, and you go get the scroll so that you will understand how to use them to open the portal.

4: The Summoner

This is another storyline quest that you didn't really put together. You didn't read your quest log, or listen to NPCs when you got the quest, but you did with others? You're very brainy. I suppose the nice red button for your quest log never had shown up either. That's all I'm going to say about this one.

3: The Forgotten Tower

Once again, you weren't very brainy with this description. You assumed that there was no point in this tower. Your character was supposed to pass by a tome in the Dark Woods, telling you about the Countess, and since she was an evil being, and there were also riches inside the tower, you decided to explore and cleanse the forgotten tower. Your rewards were exactly as promised.

Also, you comment "townsfolk refuses to give you what you need to save their butt unless you hand over a ridiculous mass of gold". Hmm, first of all, the townsfolk have made a living without you, and they've continued to push back any attackers. Just because you go off killing a few monsters doesn't mean they're going to care much, and it doesn't mean they'll give away all the things you need.

2: Rescue on Mount Arreat

Perhaps you're in kindergaten right now.
Those wooden pens are like jail cells, and if they had escaped, they would die. Seeing as how they had no equipment, they wouldn't have been able to fight either. Also, you never thought that it wasn't them, in storyline, who had townportals. You broke them free, and made a town portal (even though you may not have done it manually) for them to escape to town.

Again, you don't realise the point in capturing someone. The demons have killed those who have fought against them, and if some surrender, or are caught without arms, they will capture them. Their plans can be random. Form them into their own, torture them for their own enjoyment, etc.

1) Khalim's Will

You definately don't get the message.
The point of doing this quest was to revive Khalim's flail, and use it to open the passage into the Durance of Hate. Again, this is another storyline thing. The pieces being scattered are like a form of buriel. You go and find each piece, in a hard to find location, and return to Cain to let him know, so that you'll understand its purpose. It's kind of like putting two and two together.

I'm waiting for you to hear "I don't care about storyline, I'm just talking about the quest in general", because if you don't care about storyline, then why the hell did you put The Fallen Angel up in the best?

To be honest, I can't look at any one quest and call it one of the worst. They all make sense, and they all have a story behind them.

Next time, be more detailed with this.