• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Guest Article: The Whelp, Part One

Flux

Administrator
Jun 22, 2003
Portland Oregon US
Guest Article: The Whelp, Part 1, 2, and 3

http://purediablo.com/columnists/a-the-whelp1.shtml
http://purediablo.com/columnists/a-the-whelp2.shtml
http://purediablo.com/columnists/a-the-whelp3.shtml

In this guest article by Chris Marks, he details his new goal in D2; to beat the game on all 3 difficulty levels with a level 1 character. Who helps, who hinders, and what are the details? His saga is divided into three parts and you can see part one today, with screenshots and everything.

Parts 1, 2 and 3 are now online. Enjoy!

Diab

Jun 22, 2003
Visit site
The screenshot links at the bottom are broken. Remove the "http://purediablo.com/" part from the beginning of each.

purplelocust

Nov 4, 2003
I did a similar thing a while ago and found one interesting fact (this was 1.09 probably) was that the experience penalties in Hell do not seem to apply to level one characters. Sure, when a level ** dies in softcore hell with half an experience bar, they lose a bunch, but when a level 1 dies, no such luck. I had thought that I could use repeated NM and Hell deaths to make sure that I never got to level two- instead, I had to be careful about not getting any experience. It sounds like it might still be the same way now, otherwise that 30 exp in that final screenshot would have been reduced by repeated deaths in Hell . Similar issues arise when trying to make a level 9 low-level dueler character. You don't want to go above level 9 but there you want all the bonus quests for skills, attributes and resistances, so you have to be careful not to get too much experience along the way.

slam

Jun 22, 2003
NH, USA
Flux!! How did this article make it through your "screening process". This is not something worth writing about. It is common practice.

People use this method for hellforge rushes. I've done it myself. Using two computers, I use my lvl 91 barb, to rush my lvl 1's to hell hellforge for runes. my lvl 1's tend to be mules. The whole process usually takes an equivalent amount of time as perming a mule does anyway. It's been discussed many times in these forums, and can easily be found through google groups and such too.

Omikron8

Jun 28, 2003
There are experience penalties for a low level in hell if they are partied with someone higher. Take a level 1 character and put him in act1 normal with a level 80-90+ character and see how little xp the level 1 gets when either of you kill a monster.

Stafir

Jul 3, 2003
Visit site
Yaknow..jus because I can reply and say something worthwhile.

There _is_ an experienceless way to get by the acts..and not dieing (a good way to get by in hardcore of course <.<)

The trick would require one other rushee however. And its actually pretty simple. All you need to get quest credit..is for someone..anyone..in the party who has NOT done the quest yet..to be there for credit. As long as one person..any one person..is in the same room..and has not completed the quest..credit for all will be had. That is all that is needed.

Unfortunately I have to agree that this is not something that needs to be reported..except to newbies of course. I mean..come on Flux..you used to game with us GMG'ers remembers? We'd do all sortsa tricks like this....including the infamous..'everybody gets a rush once they hit level 20..so they get 6 levels from the ancients'. Which no longer works that way heh.

Yaknow....hrm that makes me think of a good idea for an article..how much DII has changed from patch to patch....

slam said:
Flux!! How did this article make it through your "screening process". This is not something worth writing about. It is common practice.

People use this method for hellforge rushes. I've done it myself. Using two computers, I use my lvl 91 barb, to rush my lvl 1's to hell hellforge for runes. my lvl 1's tend to be mules. The whole process usually takes an equivalent amount of time as perming a mule does anyway. It's been discussed many times in these forums, and can easily be found through google groups and such too.
The purpose of these articles will become clear in part 3. In the meantime, enjoy the writing :)

boogieback

Jul 22, 2003
Washington State University
Visit site
I made a kickass level 9 PvP barb and assassin duo this way with the help of a friend back in 1.09. Went through and got all the quests (including + skills, +20 HP quests etc). Then a twinked em to the hilt with partial death and sigon's sets and +9 max damage jewels and loaded their inventories with str and dex charms. I tell ya what, it was a thrill to go into game with level 40s, hit the hostile button and watch em come runnin to act 1 to "learn me". I have a LOT of level 40+ ears on those chars. :lol:

buttershug

Feb 13, 2005
Centre of known civilization
Flux said:
http://purediablo.com/columnists/a-the-whelp1.shtml
http://purediablo.com/columnists/a-the-whelp2.shtml

In this guest article by Chris Marks, he details his new goal in D2; to beat the game on all 3 difficulty levels with a level 1 character. Who helps, who hinders, and what are the details? His saga is divided into three parts and you can see part one today, with screenshots and everything.

Parts 1 and 2 are now online. The 3rd and final part will be added in a couple of weeks.

But he didn't beat the game.
Some else did in a way he could get credit for it.

ByteMeHard

Jun 11, 2005
Detroit
Part 3.....?

I'd really like to hear part 3 and how the smashing of the soulstones go. Been a real amusing story so far. Also would love to hear how ya used the stat points and 12 Skill points...... I don't think you honestly could use all 12 skill points at level one.......

Garrell2004

Sep 7, 2004
Humboldt county
Yeah, I thought it was pretty cool/entertaining.
This is a bit OT, but if I was making a lvl 9 dueler, should I go to hell or stay in norm? I know that going to hell would make my char better with the bonuses, but where are most of the lvl 9 duelers at?

ElJefeII

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Garrell2004 said:
Yeah, I thought it was pretty cool/entertaining.
This is a bit OT, but if I was making a lvl 9 dueler, should I go to hell or stay in norm? I know that going to hell would make my char better with the bonuses, but where are most of the lvl 9 duelers at?

Level 9 duelers. VERY rare nowadays. everyone was making the assasin one. i had a bowazaon level 9 dueler. also had poison javelins.

This was when fire arrow was auto-hit. Freakin nailed people with 400+ poison damage in 109.

I had 2 LC's in my inventory that i wish i still had, level 9 53 poison damage charms. maxed out double poison mods. two of them. then the rest of my jewels had damage, some resistance, and +20 pd/2 seconds modifier on them.

I killed those TS assassins, all of them, very fast. I killed level 22 bowazons, level 20-30 barbarians. never died actually to anyone.
had every stat quest and most importantly, the resistance quests. You learn alot about mods. in 109 you couldnt get a cold mod below level 10-12. now i find lc's with cold mods on them. makes me want to make one again. the only anti cold is really deaths belt, and no one youll duel in a random game has that on. Deaths glove and belt are perfect for a great start.

also, I had a uniques on my char that no one would use, I used a 31 defense Greyform. leech in pvp worked back then. I would auto hit a bunch in a row with a bow, that would bring back a few life points, or about 20-30 life points with a javelin in the course of a fight. that 20-30 leeched made all the difference. you can destroy a fireball sorc with hotspurs on. Gorefoots allow a tiny bit of mana leech that can make or break a game.....

so many tips. I had a 3 6 socketd long battle bows from hell, all superior. try and find them without socket quests.... cow games with a 300 mf mf'r is how that happened. took me a month to build.

1.10 killed it with making the bow skills very difficult to land and use.

Passive tree is what makes the build impossible to hit with 75% block. pelta lunata and greform gave sick max block. socket everything. Back then Hel runed didnt clean out things. now you could keep customizing perfect gear. I have considered makign one before again, however, sadly, no one understands a good duel in a random game like that.

plus i dont have 8 hours a day to search for prime charms.
1-6 is max lightning small charm
+1 max on a gc, best to get is +1 max with faster hit recovery for a close up char, can go a long way with some deadly strike from a skill.

marshaldwm2

Jun 23, 2003
Visit site
Im sorry but I am just not impressed with the whole topic of this article. NOt only did the character not really do anything, this is ultra common in the clans on B-net (Well maybe not level 1, but 4 or 5 )

I forget the name *apologies* but the Necro who did hell without killing stuff and the sorc who killed Act 1 in normal naked and with no spells were cool.