• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Guest Article: Diablo II Ideas

Flux

Administrator
Jun 22, 2003
Portland Oregon US
Guest Article: Diablo II Ideas

http://purediablo.com/columnists/a-d2-ideas.shtml

This guest article by zwei2stein is one of those, "what I'd like to see added to the game" ones, but since his ideas are pretty inventive and specific enough to be realistic, it made it though the screening process. This one was written before v1.11, and while a few of his requests made it into the new patch, most of them did not. You can, of course, critique his ideas, or throw in your own. Isn't that what comments are for?

Intolerance

Jul 4, 2003
Tampa, FL
www.trueachievements.com
As always, I worry that a lengthy reply will fade into obscurity without any replies, since that ALWAYS happens to me on these forums. But I can't resist:

Many cool ideas there, and I honestly thought Blizz was done adding content, so I was completely taken back by the 1.11 patch. And to be fair, 1.11's new content should have came on the heels of much needed balance issues.

As far as suggestions for making D2 better, I think new items, characters, areas, and quests would be cool, but a rebalance of what we have is a more realistic possibility. Here's some things I'd like to see:

1) Make boss/superunique exp AND drops no better than random monster xp/drops. I'm so sick of Boss Farming (mfing) and Baal runs (best, fastest, easiest xp, particularly Lister and Ventar's mobs). Nerfing particular bosses would just mean that people move along to the next best remaining targets, so an across-the-board change is needed. For drops, let Champs have 2 item drops, bosses (uniques) have 3, and superuniques have 4.

2) Exp sharing is a major problem. As it is now, you can be #1 on the ladder without killing a single monster. This needs to be addressed. Especially since Blizzard tries to place stock/validity in ladder rankings which clearly only reward players that spend the most time in Baal runs (or botting).

3) Hell isn't hard enough for a decent party with smart players. For single player mode, many classes can't even get through hell based on immunuties and general character imbalance, so this is a seperate issue. But my USEast Hardcore team (FtW tag) played the ladder reset for 12 hours straight (until fatigue caused us to quit) and we were the top 8 spots on the ladder in Hell Act 3. With Vendor quality gear. Without anyone dying along the way. While BLOWING through everything. We made it through Hell Baal later in the day after some rest. For me, that was fun, when there was a challenge and people were forced to play the game as intended (there was no one to give us waypoints, help with bosses (like we needed help ROFL), hand down itesm, etc). Once the ladder started to reflect Hell Baal runs, the fun was gone. Also, there aren't NEARLY enough dead characters on the HC ladder. This all boils down to the ease of Hell difficulty. Act Bosses need a major "buff" (damage, AI, skills and counters (Imagine Duriel having Leap Attack and Diablo countering magic with a high level poison Nova!). And they need the same sort of "reset upon TP" feature that the Ancients have. Which brings me to my next point...

4) Take away TPs (perhaps for Hell only). Think about this before you shout "NOOOOOOOOO!" Certain places (most quests) would require a TP shrine that you can only activate upon completion (quests like Anya, Khalim's pieces, headpiece/shaft in act 2, etc). Bosses would instantly be that much harder because you'd have to fight your way there, rationing potions, etc for the final fight.

5) Nerf teleport. Line of sight only, perhaps (no going through walls)? Or maybe a one second casting delay? Teleport is the most abuseable skill in the game, allowing parties to skip just about everything. This might not be an issue if there are no TPs in Hell, so a Sorc can't teleport ahead and then bring the entire team down. Definitely remove anything that gives teleport to non-sorcs.

6) Nerf mercs. Or perhaps remove them entirely. Yes, I love my merc. But some characters are not meant to have built in meat shields (or, ala sorc, a way to deal with immunities that their class can't handle). Druids and Necros have their summons, and Zons and Asns have Valk and Shadow Master. Barbs, Sorcs and Pallies were NEVER meant to have minions (well Pallies do have the completely unused Conversion skill), and Mercs (particularly those that add an insane bonus like Might or Holy Freeze) are completely overpowered. I've been playing since before LoD when mercs were worthless (aside from grabbing to hopefully provide a second of relief from Duruel), and ever since they got the "customizeable/aura assistance" buff in LoD, I've felt they were overpowered.

7) Try to add a feature to stop bots. Like a codeword that needs to be typed into the "create game" screen- one of the encryption things that is hidden in colors and requires a human to see. That's the easiest one I can think of, and I'm sure there's a way around it, but it would be a good start.

8) Tweak most uniques/sets. From simple things like addressing useless mods (leech on wands?) to complete overhauls to items that are garbage at any level, yet they have a level requirement that makes them completely worthless (so they have a use at said level). I could go on forever here with specific examples but the fact that we all know that 90% of set/unique items are garbage is sufficient. I don't want things to be overpowered, especially since I think the difficulty needs to be increased as it is, but I would like to think that all uniques would be useable based on their rarity.

That's about all I've got for now. I've played D2 on and off for 5 years now, and I feel that I've been playing an incomplete game the whole time. I've argued for years that Blizzard needs to get better people involved in Research and Development (R&D) to help balance things better (I always use the example of Wizards of the Coast hiring pro-level Magic (the Gathering) players for R&D to prevent HUGE imbalances that were overlooked due to inadequate testing of sets prior to their release). If Blizzard let "powergamers" test D2 for imbalances and abuseable skills/items, then problems could be addressed before patches were released. As it is now, I can't possibly believe that Blizzard tested things well enough to know that enigma would totally dominate, or that hammerdics would simply OWN EVERYTHING. But alas, now I'm rambling.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading this whole post.

ActVTristPwnt

Aug 2, 2005
North Carolina
Well, I read your whole post. I have to state that some of your comments contradict each other.

You say that party exp should be taken out, or lowered. That said, you want people to have to fight for their exp, which I agree on. Yet, think of the lvl 70 or even people at lvl 60 that get rushed through hell and are ready to hell baal. How would you expect them to level without godly gear on. Most good gear has over a lvl 60 requirement(i.e. enigma is 65). Without party exp, what would they do?

You also say that mercs should be eliminated. For the reason that some char classes were not meant to have a piece of meat for everything to chew on while the person does the killing. Your statement about sorcs and there being immunities for a reason brings me to your contradiction. In a hell baal run, the Minions of Destruction are immune to fire. Without a merc in a single player game(on bnet or not) they wouldn't be able to kill them, and cannot get exp there. So the fire sorc joins a multiplayer baal run. With YOUR changes this fire sorc cannot get any party exp now. So what is he to do? Miss out on the best exp of the game every run?

On the TP deal. You think tps should be eliminated in hell. Well, lets say you're a WW barb. You don't have enigma because YOU think it shouldn't exist. So you can't teleport to the throne room. You fight your way down to the throne and find you're out of health/mana potions. Without a Tp until you kill baal(you say no tp opens until a quest is done) are you just going to leave the game and try again next time? If you're a hardcore barb you can't tp to get pots, you're not going to risk dying to get to town because if you do it's all over. What to do?

I'm not trying to just focus on you however, there are many people with ideas about changes for games that would end up with worse results than benefits.

Something I agree with you on, is the elimination of useless mods on items. Such as your example of leech on a wand, or the mod on Lycander's Aim of "adds 25-50 damage."

AnimeCraze

Jul 13, 2005
Vancouver
True uniques are a VERY big problem and should never be even considered in hardcore. For reasons, watch Greed Island from Hunter X Hunter. You will know what I mean when player killers specifically hunt for these. It will make hardcore unplayable.

Exp sharing is not a problem, I don't think. Supposed you build a healer of some sort, a white mage. (rather common in other games, and even a healdin) You don't get exp if you don't kill, but you keep your party alive. Shold you get that exp? Yes.

The problem with 8 player games is that their hp doesn't get raised 8 times. It's only 4.5 times. If they actually raise it 8 times, it would probably be harder.

Taking away TP is somewhat a good idea, and it is used in Hell Unleashed, if I recall.

Get a fire/cold immune to a meterob sorc. No merc. It happens to be Lord de Seis. What are you going to do? Conclusion, nerfing merc is bad, especially if you want to solo the game.

I think I have said it before, human visual checks can be countered by neural networks. Even my classmate's crappy digit recognition program has 99% accuracy on hand written digits.

I would agree about uniques with garbage mods that no-one ever uses.

Intolerance

Jul 4, 2003
Tampa, FL
www.trueachievements.com
ActVTristPwnt said:
Well, I read your whole post. I have to state that some of your comments contradict each other.

You say that party exp should be taken out, or lowered. That said, you want people to have to fight for their exp, which I agree on. Yet, think of the lvl 70 or even people at lvl 60 that get rushed through hell and are ready to hell baal. How would you expect them to level without godly gear on. Most good gear has over a lvl 60 requirement(i.e. enigma is 65). Without party exp, what would they do?

You've hit several points in this paragraph, so I'll comment on them all.

"Ready to Hell Baal....."? What the heck does this mean? Why do you need to "Hell Baal?" As we proved on this ladder reset, a good group can plow through Hell Baal with garbage gear with NO PROBLEMS. So why do you need to continue running Baal endlessly? How do I expect them to level without godly gear? My group was in the 80s with CRAP GEAR, vendor quality at best. This was Hardcore, by the way. What does godly gear have to do with anything?

Unfortunately, certain balance issues make party experience necessary. So I guess they would need to be addressed to make it so more builds can contribute to the party. But it really bothers me when people leech everything, do absolutely nothing, and yet can still sit atop the ladder.

ActVTristPwnt said:
You also say that mercs should be eliminated. For the reason that some char classes were not meant to have a piece of meat for everything to chew on while the person does the killing. Your statement about sorcs and there being immunities for a reason brings me to your contradiction. In a hell baal run, the Minions of Destruction are immune to fire. Without a merc in a single player game(on bnet or not) they wouldn't be able to kill them, and cannot get exp there. So the fire sorc joins a multiplayer baal run. With YOUR changes this fire sorc cannot get any party exp now. So what is he to do? Miss out on the best exp of the game every run?

I guess this ties into the balance issues associated with leechers and party experience. I think in Hell difficulty there should be certain things that some builds CAN'T handle. I'd like to see partying be required for people to finish Hell dfficulty (by making it so no single class/build can kill EVERYTHING). The point about a merc being able to handle, say, a Lightning/Cold Immune that a Blizzard/Static Sorc can't kill is a minor point in the overall "merc" situation. Sorcs are NOT meant to have built-in tanks/meat shields, and they definitely shouldn't have easy access to something that can kill things that they cannot.

As for how a pure fire sorc in a party receives experience from Fire Immune monsters killed by other party members- I'm not sure how to handle special instances like this. But I think free experience for complete leechers needs to be eliminated.

ActVTristPwnt said:
On the TP deal. You think tps should be eliminated in hell. Well, lets say you're a WW barb. You don't have enigma because YOU think it shouldn't exist. So you can't teleport to the throne room. You fight your way down to the throne and find you're out of health/mana potions. Without a Tp until you kill baal(you say no tp opens until a quest is done) are you just going to leave the game and try again next time? If you're a hardcore barb you can't tp to get pots, you're not going to risk dying to get to town because if you do it's all over. What to do?

You use a little more strategy. You play more carefully. You make sure you can handle an area before plunging headfirst into it.

By the way, barbs have a skill called "find potion." Perhaps you've heard of it? Not many barbs use it because it's really unnecessary as a) potions drop with regularity and b) you can always go to town at any point to restock. Imagine how important this skill would become if you couldn't get potions from town at any time?

AnimeCraze

Jul 13, 2005
Vancouver
You really hate the single player people, don't you. With the current status of Bnet, I rather play things solo except for trading, and I would say that requiring a party is simply a nuisense. There will be lazy people for sure. Furthermore, if you can't gather up a party, what should you do. :eek: Stick with hell unleashed if you want to play things that require a party. There are people who want to play D2 solo, and I don't want to party up with leechers, which are everywhere in Bnet. Changing the balancing of the game doesn't help, since there are Barbs that are even too lazy to BO, or sorc that are not willing to static.

Phyrexial

Jun 23, 2003
forums.diabloii.net
Making Hell that hard seems a bit unreasonable coming from NM which is a joke. If you implemented some of these changes (like no TPs) into a 4th difficulty which is meant to be party only, I think that would be better. People that want to solo what they've been soloing can continue to do so, but the people that want more of a challenge that requires a well organized group can move on to the 4th difficulty.

Group experience needs to be had, especially if you want to encourage support classes like healers which you may very well see start popping up if you take away TPs. Instead of running to town, you'd all stand around the Medic Pally with his meditation aura on and let him heal with Holy Bolt perhaps while a barb goes horking corpses for potions. I understand your problem with leechers though, I don't like them either. But if there was a 4th difficulty where 8 good players was really needed, people would be less prone to allowing the leecher to stay. Currently, that leecher is just resulting in more exp per kill for anyone doing the killing and only makes it marginally harder to progress. If the game was much harder, a useless player in the game would be much more frowned upon. This brings me to one of my own suggestions, a /vote kick and /vote ban command where players could vote a player out of the game potentially permanently. This would last until the player that initiated the vote leaves the game.

Partying is much harder though in a game like D2 because of the instance like design of the game. In a MMORPG like WoW, you can see and visually find a party which makes things easier. I think more and more people would begin finding dedicated groups and only playing with those people, totally becoming closed off to the general public. This could be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it, but I think eventually one of two things will happen. Either public games become unplayable because only the crappy players/leechers would be left without a group because they are constantly getting voted out of the good ones. Or people will actually try to become less useless and the overall average IQ of bnet raises 10 fold. Which do you think is more likely?

One other suggestions I would have:

- The true uniques are a decent idea, but to make it truly competitive I think the player that has it should be public knowledge on bnet's website or something. Both for bragging rights and so they could be hunted. Make it so the true unique would drop when that player is killed as well so people are given a sporting chance to get it. Also, to prevent the person with the unique from simply running away all the time make the person have a certain number of player kills they must maintain weekly or daily that are within a certain number of levels above or below their own. To prevent this from being abused with friends, dissallow characters from the same account to be killed multiple times within a week to feed this quota.

Aug 8, 2005
I have been planning to post this sort of criticism for sometime now, but didn’t do so until now. Sorry for the long-winded critique (over 854 words), but I prefer to get everything of my chest.

Diablo 2 has always been an unbalanced game. The 'unbalance-ness' of the game come for from the vary design of the classes and their skills, and therefore cannot be fully corrected. The only real improvement you could make would be to redesign the individual classes so that they are more balanced for both solo/party play. Also, several other integral changes need to be made.

1) Experience sharing need to be heavily-reduced/overhauled. It is too easy for low level characters to level in cow games while standing around, and not easy enough for proper hell characters to get good exp running baal games. Removing sharing would heavily cripple party play, so overhauling it would be the better solution.

2) Unique, set, and runeword items need to be completely redone. Allowing items to cast auras, any classes to use certain skills (werebear from BEAST for example), and casting some useful high level skills on-strike unbalances the classes. Each class should have to rely on its own skills. Also, mods like Ignore Target Defence, and +Skills should be far less common.

3) Several exploits/errors used in rushing need to be corrected; namely, the ability to go to the Durance without actually breaking the compelling orb. There are far too many unskilled players in nightmare and hell that got there simply because they were rushed. By forcing people to actually complete all the quests, it will remove a good majority of the unskilled players, and allow only skilled players to make it in hell.

4) Hirelings also need to be redesigned. I admit, some classes shouldn't have access to hirelings, but limiting the selection of hirelings to only certain classes would only further unbalance the game. Although I would prefer if they were significantly improved overall, that too would unbalance the game. In one respect they are vital, while in another they are pointless (paradox!)

5) After applying the other changes, monsters would need to be rescaled. Less immunities but more resists, levels that are closer to the average player, etc.

6) The 1.10 patch helped to redesign the game, but most of the "improvements" were changes that simply unbalance the game in the big picture. Runewords should exist as a supplement for people who cannot get godly uniques, NOT as a replacement. Also, MFing should be significantly discouraged, namely by capping the max amount of MF on a char, and reducing the amount of drops in 8 player runs, (like cows, Meph, Baal)

7) As far as changing classes, one of the main suggestions I have is too use more damage conversions on skills. Rather than having "+212-257 cold damage" on an attack they should have "converts 50% dmg into cold, +126% cold dmg, +23-58 cold dmg". Individual skills, especially underused skills like fire hydra, should be significantly improved while synergy bonuses heavily reduced. Tri-elemental sorceresses for example would be far more powerful than before. Of course, all changes to character skills would also involve ‘mirror’ changes in items and monsters. Implementing more damage conversion skills would inevitably result in reducing the frequency of immunes to that element.

8) Some classes and builds will always be better than others. Making some overpowered builds weaker, while promoting less common builds could be an improvement, but not is necessarily worthwhile. Some skills should definitely be increased, and some skills or skill tree’s should in general be weakened (Paladin combat skills for example, since having strong combat skills + uber aura’s is laughable).

9) This Game will ALWAYS be easier with a good, smart party. Designing it to be insanely difficult for a good party will annihilate SP as we know it. Improving the individual classes, while removing many unbalancing aspects help to make the game more balanced even with a good group. Also, by crippling MFers, the majority of the good equipment people are used too will not drop; the value of uniques will be as it should be: high.

10) Some changes, like no TP’s in Hell are simply impossible to balance. Some builds will always struggle or die trying to get exp in Hell, and without TP’s they will simply become worthless. Although such changes would effectively reduce the amount of noob's in hell, they would only really benefit excellent characters, or powerful parties.

11) I have always felt that there has been too many +skills in 1.10 D2. Not only are charms like Hellfire Torch easy too obtain once the new wave of Uber-Killers has been made, but they highly undermine duelling (IMO). All skills should be capped at Skill Level 30 (no exceptions). Adjusting skills and synergy’s for this change would help to level the playing field between players with uber equipment and players with mediocre equip.

… Anyway, thanks for reading my critique. My vision of D2 is probably very different then many of yours, but all in all I think mine is less flawed than most.

Phyrexial

Jun 23, 2003
forums.diabloii.net
- Making gear rarer and thus taking more time to get would only serve to broaden the gap between an average player and a powergamer. When this happens, because the average player far outnumbers powergamers those average players will either seek out a means to even the odds or quit. Most will probably turn to hack use or item shops of somekind. This only serves to create an economy ripe for dupers when the only thing that determines how/when you get good items is time. The solution to this is to make items drop far more often but require more skill, not more time, to obtain. The uber quest was a step in the right direction with tougher PvM challenges. Tweaking those further to promote skill over time invested and adding more similarly themed monsters would help.

- Forcing players to complete all the quests is fine and dandy for PvM players, but for PvP players it's a deathblow. Also, this would drive away many of the older players that have played through the entire game with every quest done a million times already. I think they should implement something like refund points, so you could undo skill and stat point allocations so making one minor mistake in a dueler's design doesn't result in more needless rushing. Personally, I think there should be a faster and less repetitive means of leveling once you've beaten the game a few times already. It does get boring fast when you've played the game for 3-4 years.

- As for making the game too hard for SP players, that's where my suggestion to implement those changes only for a 4th harder difficulty would come into play. Just make it known that the 4th difficulty is not meant for solo players and is designed specifically for team players. Heck, make it realms only so the SP players can't argue that it's "impossible to solo" since it will be clear it wasn't meant to.

- With regards to hirelings, I think they should be buffed further. Allow them to wear full item sets (boots, belts, etc) and allow the players to give commands like /stay or /attack. Or even perhaps allow players to have more than one hireling. The reason for this? Take a look at Guild Wars. They allow players to hire a full party if they want to fill in for players entirely and it was a huge success. Let's face it, 99% of the time bnet players are a pain to deal with and are largely inept. If the hirelings have even half decent AI I would prefer to take them over normal players just so I wouldn't have to deal with leechers and item grabbers.

Aug 8, 2005
- PvP players play mostly on Bnet. They are designed for dueling. Since they aren't intended for PvM, why would they be trying to play the game Solo? PvP characters would simply level in groups that have decent PvM builds. Forcing people to do every quest would cause a significant rise in questing games, which PvP char's could use to pass through the game easier.

- Runewords and Rare items would be used to narrow the gap. Rune drops would be far higher (espescially with high runes) and adding sockets would be much easier (more Cube combinations, etc.). By creating new runewords or crafting new items, you could create temporary useful equipment until you are ready to trade for uniques.

- Personally, I feel that creating a 4th difficulty, adding quests, etc should only be done in expansions or major Mod's. If Blizzard wanted a special difficulty for party play, they would've done so on the realms, instead of creating the irrelevent Uber-bosses.

- Diablo 2 is not a very detailied game. There are no side-quests, mini-games, or other detours. I agree that there should be something new, but adding a major mod/expansion could effectively fix this. In the replayability catagory, Blizzard didn't think this out very well.

AnimeCraze

Jul 13, 2005
Vancouver
Phyrexial said:
- With regards to hirelings, I think they should be buffed further. Allow them to wear full item sets (boots, belts, etc) and allow the players to give commands like /stay or /attack. Or even perhaps allow players to have more than one hireling. The reason for this? Take a look at Guild Wars. They allow players to hire a full party if they want to fill in for players entirely and it was a huge success. Let's face it, 99% of the time bnet players are a pain to deal with and are largely inept. If the hirelings have even half decent AI I would prefer to take them over normal players just so I wouldn't have to deal with leechers and item grabbers.

How true. How often do you want your hireling to NOT attack while they have iron maiden on them...... They are idiots. :uhhuh:

Aug 8, 2005
Attacking while having IM casted on them isn't a question of "buffing", but more a question of completely redesigning the hireling AI

Having multiple hirelings would completely ruin the balence of the game, since the game isn't meant for everybody controlling "one-man army's". Games like Guild Wars are designed for having good parties. Diablo 2 isn't.

ActVTristPwnt

Aug 2, 2005
North Carolina
Look. Yea, there is a skill called Find Potion for barbs. Yet, with what you're saying, no party exp, every kill you get gives that needed xp to level, with that level comes 1 skill point. Are you really going to put points into Find potion instead of a skill to help you kill, such as WW. Without a good level WW you can't kill, meaning you wouldn't be able to use your high level Find Potion in the first place.

I completely agree with needing to have such commands as /stay or /attack for mercs. I also think there should be a hotkey set for feeding pots to your merc if he gets in danger. Taking a pot from your belt(or inv if you use zoid(auto-drinks pots when you get low from inventory)) and dragging it to the Merc photo takes too long and also prevents you from attacking to help your merc, which results in him taking more damage.

Aug 8, 2005
Note: If you hold shift and press #1-4 (corresponding to the potion number in your belt) the healing potion is automatically given to your hireling.

Phyrexial

Jun 23, 2003
forums.diabloii.net
Asmodeus the First said:
- PvP players play mostly on Bnet. They are designed for dueling. Since they aren't intended for PvM, why would they be trying to play the game Solo? PvP characters would simply level in groups that have decent PvM builds. Forcing people to do every quest would cause a significant rise in questing games, which PvP char's could use to pass through the game easier.
Or... they could get rushed to Hell in about 20-30 minutes with little to no thought involved and then procede to level up at a blinding rate via leeching Chaos runs or whatever it is these days that works at that level. Enchant+cows or something. The PvP players generally don't want to be bothered with questing for 10 hours or more in order to get to where they want to be.

Awhile back I thought that everyone should have to PvM to earn their levels but the more time I spend doing it the more I realize that there are alot of people that don't enjoy PvM at all and PvM isn't really a test of skill either. It's an exercise in tedium, it's mind numbingly easy 99% of the time. As much as rushing wasn't meant to be the way the game was originally meant to be played, it is a good thing once you've beaten the game more times than you can count.

Besides, even if we all had to quest people would still get a high level to walk them all the way to hell if needed to speed things up.

Asmodeus the First said:
- Runewords and Rare items would be used to narrow the gap. Rune drops would be far higher (espescially with high runes) and adding sockets would be much easier (more Cube combinations, etc.). By creating new runewords or crafting new items, you could create temporary useful equipment until you are ready to trade for uniques.
What makes you think that uniques have to be the most powerful items? I personally think rares should be the most powerful items potentially as it results in diverse character builds rather than seeing everyone in the game with the same gear.

Regardless, when thinking about PvP you think in terms of the end game gear. Not the temp gear. PvP duelers think about the best of the best gear and if the best gear is simply rarer as in it drops less, then they will turn to dupes to get it. Temp gear is fine for leveling, that's great. But for the duelers I think the best gear needs to be rebalanced in terms of how you find them and I think it should be based more on skill than time invested to determine who gets it.

Asmodeus the First said:
- Personally, I feel that creating a 4th difficulty, adding quests, etc should only be done in expansions or major Mod's. If Blizzard wanted a special difficulty for party play, they would've done so on the realms, instead of creating the irrelevent Uber-bosses.
It's alot of work, even if Blizzard wanted to it's probably something that would never happen.

Asmodeus the First said:
- Diablo 2 is not a very detailied game. There are no side-quests, mini-games, or other detours. I agree that there should be something new, but adding a major mod/expansion could effectively fix this. In the replayability catagory, Blizzard didn't think this out very well.
Players found their own end game content, specifically in dueling or trying new builds generally. Hence why I think further changes should facilitate these end game goals by doing things like making leveling either more challenging/interesting and allowing the creation of new characters faster and more easily.

AnimeCraze

Jul 13, 2005
Vancouver
About how to deal with too many +skills and runewords, there exist a game called Diablo 2 Classic. You might want to try that. :thumbsup:

Hnoo B

May 10, 2005
California
Intolerance said:
7) Try to add a feature to stop bots. Like a codeword that needs to be typed into the "create game" screen- one of the encryption things that is hidden in colors and requires a human to see. That's the easiest one I can think of, and I'm sure there's a way around it, but it would be a good start.

Personal bet: if something like that is done, the full creative genius of programmers will be unleashed, and the full problems of AI plus visual cognition will be solved within two weeks. One week if you reset the ladder and put a monetary prize on first person to reach lvl 99.

AnimeCraze

Jul 13, 2005
Vancouver
Hnoo B said:
Personal bet: if something like that is done, the full creative genius of programmers will be unleashed, and the full problems of AI plus visual cognition will be solved within two weeks. One week if you reset the ladder and put a monetary prize on first person to reach lvl 99.

You are wrong, it will be much shorter than 1 week. It is mostly solved already. My prof says that he made some sort of program which can deal with even the ones on webmaster. (and he looks like he is ~30, scary) It is not being released, he says, but who knows. :lol: It only takes him minutes to hook it up to the bot, if he is serious about it.