• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Good SP beginning?

Aug 11, 2005
Northern California
Good SP beginning?

Considering that I'm only on dialup, I've mostly given up on Battle.net - the lag is really bad, with ping regularly at 500, so I'm going to single-player, something I haven't touched. I'm not sure, though, which type of character I should use to begin playing with. (I downloaded ATMA last night).

Should I start with a Hammerdin? That's my initial idea. Anyone have a better idea?

Hoop76

Jun 27, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
Sorc or Fishymancer are really good for starting with no gear. Hammerdin wouldnt be bad either i dont think, ive actually never played one far enough to know. I think i started with a Barb way back when i started playing. Probably not the best starter char. Anyway, good luck with whatever you use.

Aug 3, 2005
Alaska
You could start with anything, really. I would shoot for a Necro(Skellies), Sorc(Blizz or Orb), or Barbarian(Frenzy). The first 2 might be easier, but the Barbarian is still doable. I just started with a MA/Trapper Assassin and I must say it is not the best route to have taken for a first character, as my weapon and armor are much less then desired, so killing is slower then it could be.

If you want an easy and fast start, necro or sorc, but anything can work. Be wary of an Bowazon though :p

sirpoopsalot

May 24, 2005
dranking tequila
threeofnineteen said:
What the heck is a 'Fishymancer'? I just am not a big sorc fan - I never did get one to work, and I've never did a Hammerdin, so wanted to try it.

basically a necro that maxes:

raise skelly
skelly mastery
corpse explosion

... after that it's all gravy. search the forums for 'fishmancer 2.1', the complete guide should be around here somewhere.

BTW welcome.

Edit: here's the guide: http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349093

OCAU_MIKLE

Banned
Jan 4, 2005
Hey, i i in the exact cituation that you are in. I started in lat Jan of this year with a blizz sorc. I suggest you start with one aswell then you can farm meph and pindle sooooo easily. And in no time you be as rich as me :thumbsup:.

- ocau_mikle

Blascid

Jan 7, 2005
OCAU_MIKLE said:
Hey, i i in the exact cituation that you are in. I started in lat Jan of this year with a blizz sorc. I suggest you start with one aswell then you can farm meph and pindle sooooo easily. And in no time you be as rich as me :thumbsup:.

- ocau_mikle

This gets my vote too, if you really want to start a Hammerdin..You could, of course..BUT..if you start with a Sorc, or Fishymancer you could get some sweet items for you Hammerdin in no time flat, hence-perhaps making the entire Hammerdin experience better-depends what you're into.

Don't worry about getting lost within the characters, there are plenty of guides to get you started.

Best of luck--

abarlament

Aug 4, 2005
WV
I'd say the Overlord/Summoner/Fishymancer, wahtever else you want to call the same type of build: skellies, mastery, and CE. Very quick, can do pretty much everything without dying (that sucks). CE is an awesome group killing spell, so going into the high level areas (the pits, cows, etc) and: amp, kill a monster, CE CE CE CE CE!!!111! rinse and repeat. I've heard they are good for Hell Baal runs although I can't say firsthand yet.

Also, probably the most important thing, necros can wear pretty much any MF gear they want, because they don't have to worry about killing stuff themselves. If you are a barb, you have to worry about defense, damage of your weapon, etc etc. With my necro I haven't really found that to be the case.

And third, sorcs really suck at the beginning, especially with no gear. Mine is at lvl 19 or 20 or something and I haven't played her in forever because she's so frustrating.

water_moon

Jul 19, 2004
IL, USA
Welcome! Enjoy this goodie basket of baked goods and squid repelant whatever build you decide on and don't forget to read the FAQs. :)

essojay

Jun 26, 2004
NH
Your first MF target is likely to be NM meph, so a blizzard sorceress should be fine too.

Comage

May 22, 2004
Singapore
I would say a sorceress.

I started with a Bowazon, but it couldn't do nuts at MF with NM Meph. So I brought in a Fishymancer, but his killing speed with NM Meph was too slow. I wasn't able to find any teleport rings, so I couldn't do the moat jump trick.

Now I've gotten a Sorceress, but she's still in Act II. :D