• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Game Periodically Freezes

FenrirKnight

Aug 1, 2003
Visit site
Game Periodically Freezes

I'm not sure if this is really a bug, but in the middle of a game, the screen would freeze periodically. It'd stay still for some seconds and then my CD roars up and it unfreezes.

Is this normal?

Stixxx

Jun 24, 2004
i have the same thing. pretty annoying when your somewhere with lots of critters.... :rolleyes:

Diab

Jun 22, 2003
Visit site
I know it usually happens when the game has to get data from the CD. There are a few ways to get around this by not using the CD at all, such as using a CD image and a virtual drive (this is what I use).

MapleBarb

Apr 16, 2005
Diabolico x64 said:
I know it usually happens when the game has to get data from the CD. There are a few ways to get around this by not using the CD at all, such as using a CD image and a virtual drive (this is what I use).
Forgive me for asking this: but could you explain in an easy way how you do it so we can as well. Because I'm getting rather annoyed of dying by what I call 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi, etc (aka as much as 15 mississippis :lol: ) and have my char completely frozen and unable to fight the monsters :(

inanefedaykin

Aug 11, 2005
Wolfen Empire ~~~~~ Ontario, Canada
It's pretty simple. Get something that can create image files from a cd. An image file is a virtual copy of the cd that can be stored on your computer and played by an image player. The image player creates a fake cd drive on your computer and it mimics a real one perfectly.

The image creator I used to copy d2 comes with nero 6.0 or higher. There are several others out there, the most popular being alchohal 120%(is it 120?).

For an image player I used Daemon Tools virtual drives. Search google for it, it's simple to use with a bit of tinkering.

Diab

Jun 22, 2003
Visit site
Yes, I used Alcohol 120%, too. Nero also sometimes comes with a virtual drive of its own, but Daemon Tools is a lot better.

Phesto

Aug 2, 2005
Which datatype is selected for D2?

I've used A-Ray, but scanning D2 seems to produce nothing of use.

Diab

Jun 22, 2003
Visit site
Phesto said:
Which datatype is selected for D2?

I've used A-Ray, but scanning D2 seems to produce nothing of use.

I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Could you elaborate on that?

Phesto

Aug 2, 2005
Diabolico x64 said:
I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Could you elaborate on that?

When using Alcohol 120% I believe you're supposed to determine the datatype of the disc you wish to record. There's a drop-down box in the lower left of the Image Making Wizard (File/New) labeled Datatype.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the relevance of this entirely. If that's the case, do I simply leave it on Customize?

Nyris

Jul 26, 2005
over there :points:
and the point is??

isnt this just lagg?

i can play the game without the cd just fine (in cd/start, menu loads, out cd)

whats this image thing do? reduce lagg? can some1 say for sure? any1 here had lagg before but not after doing this?

Diab

Jun 22, 2003
Visit site
Nyris said:
and the point is??

isnt this just lagg?

i can play the game without the cd just fine (in cd/start, menu loads, out cd)

whats this image thing do? reduce lagg? can some1 say for sure? any1 here had lagg before but not after doing this?

This is machine lag, lag caused by the computer that the game is being run on, not internet lag, which is caused by your internet connection, or the game servers, or the amount of people currently online in the game, etc. This machine lag is caused by the CD having to start spinning again so that the game can read data from it. It can be seen usually in boss death animations, like that of Shenk.

An image makes it so that it's not using the CD in the CD drive, but rather a copy of the CD, stored on the harddrive, which is always spinning. Since the harddrive is always spinning, it doesn't need to take a few seconds to start spinning again like the disk does, so that lag for a few seconds is gone.

I've had lots of machine lag when I used the disk in the CD drive before, but none whatsoever once I started using an image.

FenrirKnight

Aug 1, 2003
Visit site
Phesto said:
When using Alcohol 120% I believe you're supposed to determine the datatype of the disc you wish to record. There's a drop-down box in the lower left of the Image Making Wizard (File/New) labeled Datatype.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the relevance of this entirely. If that's the case, do I simply leave it on Customize?

Ya you just leave it on customize. I tried it and it solved the problem quite nicely--thanks guys. The only problem now is that the Alcohol 120% is only free for 30 days. From what I gather, I think you need to program to run the drive not just create it. So, are there any free image drive readers?

Diab

Jun 22, 2003
Visit site
FenrirKnight said:
Ya you just leave it on customize. I tried it and it solved the problem quite nicely--thanks guys. The only problem now is that the Alcohol 120% is only free for 30 days. From what I gather, I think you need to program to run the drive not just create it. So, are there any free image drive readers?

Daemon Tools is the one I'd recommend to use. It's free, and more convenient that any other program like this I've heard of.