• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Frozen Orb??

tmd turka

Aug 2, 2005
Frozen Orb??

Hi All

I just wanted to know if anyone could tell me how much damage your frozen orb should do to take down most duelers. I know all about cold absorb and resists for most duelers but im just interested in a good solid minimum orb damage. I want to know what damage most FO/ES sorcs have when they duel.

Im guessin like 600 for minimum

thanks

GkT

Banned
Jul 30, 2005
For most ES/Orb Sorcs, the damage should only suffer a little due to swapping out Ormus Robes' for a Vipermagi. A solid Orb damage would be 1.2k.

chocolate31s

Aug 28, 2004
I'm a very big fan of FO/ES build, my orb dmg is very close to 1.5k.

However, IMO with the introduction of Merman's Sproket boot, i think orbers will fade into the shadows in pvp. The massive absorb on Merman's Sproket means that even 1.5k orb will do almost no dmg.

Btw, i would also like to ask, does magic absorb works on every elemental dmg as well? Becoz if it does then i'd say its almost certain that orb will do too little dmg to be effective in pvp.

necrotica

Aug 14, 2005
Orb needs to do at least 1k dmg and even that wont take out any player even if you ignore absorb. If you like orbers soooo much that you cant make a blizz sorc, i suggest using 18+nightwing, 30+ fathom, coh, ss, 10 cold gcs (9 if you have a torch). Even with that setup, you just wont be able to kill quite some chars ( fire sorc, bowazon, good barb, foher...)

amphrosyne

Jul 20, 2005
necrotica said:
Orb needs to do at least 1k dmg and even that wont take out any player even if you ignore absorb. If you like orbers soooo much that you cant make a blizz sorc, i suggest using 18+nightwing, 30+ fathom, coh, ss, 10 cold gcs (9 if you have a torch). Even with that setup, you just wont be able to kill quite some chars ( fire sorc, bowazon, good barb, foher...)

Tell me you're kidding. CoH is crap compared to any viper and viper is so much cheaper. Orb does very well vs bowazons considering their arrows don't really penetrate ES and a single well placed orb finish them off easily as bowazons are generally glass cannons with little if any resistance.

oscarmk1

Jun 24, 2003
chocolate31s said:
I'm a very big fan of FO/ES build, my orb dmg is very close to 1.5k.

However, IMO with the introduction of Merman's Sproket boot, i think orbers will fade into the shadows in pvp. The massive absorb on Merman's Sproket means that even 1.5k orb will do almost no dmg.

Btw, i would also like to ask, does magic absorb works on every elemental dmg as well? Becoz if it does then i'd say its almost certain that orb will do too little dmg to be effective in pvp.
Not to mention mermans sproket would absorb magic not cold.

RetroStar

Apr 13, 2004
amphrosyne said:
Tell me you're kidding. CoH is crap compared to any viper and viper is so much cheaper. Orb does very well vs bowazons considering their arrows don't really penetrate ES and a single well placed orb finish them off easily as bowazons are generally glass cannons with little if any resistance.

Poison would go through the ES. Which most bow zons have lots of.

AndyChrono

Sep 10, 2003
California, USA
RetroStar said:

It's well established that FO/ES sorcs utterly annihilate bowazons in any way shape or form. Zons must absorb around the point of negation/healing in order to win that matchup.

amphrosyne

Jul 20, 2005
RetroStar said:

Whilst that is true, orb sorcs still devastate any bowazon pretty fast. Their orbs cover a wide area and take out the zons in a few hits. Maxed poison res and a bit of poison length reduction can reduce the damage to vitually nothing. A bowazon, however would need massive stacked res and absorb which is highly unlikely.

RetroStar

Apr 13, 2004
amphrosyne said:
Whilst that is true, orb sorcs still devastate any bowazon pretty fast. Their orbs cover a wide area and take out the zons in a few hits. Maxed poison res and a bit of poison length reduction can reduce the damage to vitually nothing. A bowazon, however would need massive stacked res and absorb which is highly unlikely.

I thought resist don't matter for ES. I don't play too much sorc so I'm not too sure.

Multishot works wonders on orb sorcs, just stand and spray. Shoot GA frequently to prevent orb sorc from teleing close. Though zons do have crap resist so 1-2 orbs will probably kill them.

amphrosyne

Jul 20, 2005
RetroStar said:
I thought resist don't matter for ES. I don't play too much sorc so I'm not too sure.

Multishot works wonders on orb sorcs, just stand and spray. Shoot GA frequently to prevent orb sorc from teleing close. Though zons do have crap resist so 1-2 orbs will probably kill them.

well my sorc had just a fair bit of res but maxed poison as its the only one that really damages me. i still have decent res tho even with the es. a fast tele works wonders vs multi and ga wont help much close range as an orber can tank alot more compared to a bowazon.

F1R3STR1D3R

Oct 13, 2003
Palm Coast, Florida
RetroStar said:

Resists matter just not as much. Damage Reduce % also matters but just not as much as it is calculated like a resist.

Here is the order in which damage is resolved:
Damage = (1/6)*(Damage) for PvP
- (% Energy Shield / 100)*(Damage)*(2-0.0625*Telekinesis)= Mana Lost
- ((100-% Energy Shield) / 100)*(Damage)-(Magic Damage Reduce By #[for elemental/magic attacks])-(Damage Reduce By #[for physical attacks]) = L1
- (L1)*((100-% Resistance to that Attack [Damage Reduce %, too])/100) = L2 [Lower Resist, Conviction, Amplify Damage, and Decrepify all calculated here]
- Absorb %
- Absorb #
- Damage to Life