• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

french version --> english

fbrooks

Dec 22, 2004
french version --> english

Hello,

i have the french version of D2.
Anyone knows how to change in english ?

Myrakh-2

Jun 23, 2004
flyff.cable.nu
Yes and no :) We did it with a german version, long ago... so I don't know the details anymore, just the general idea.

First of all, the german CD key did not work with the original D2. We then replaced files, one by one, skipping the ones that made bnet complain about the key not matching the program version.

In the end, we got a version that is "mostly" english. NPC talking is still german (just the audio, not the scrolling text) for the classic samples (I think... the samples that got added with LoD are english, IIRC --- I try to not get to hear too much of the terrible german dub, so I use the german version for mules/rushing).

I'm running some comparison on the 2 directories now... maybe it turns up something useful..

EDIT: crap.. I wish I could make shares on my XP box (for some reason I never managed to do that...) and import them on my Linux box (that one isn't set up to import shares), so I could cut&paste the results :)

In any case, it appears that (unless I overlooked something... alway possible):

d2music.mpq
is reasonably different. Maybe try the french version first.

d2char.mpq
d2exp.mpq
d2sfx.mpq
are almost identical. I would probably try to use the english files here to start

patch_d2.mpq
is mostly different

d2speech.mpq
is completely different, so most likely that's the one that will need to remain localized

d2video.mpq
isn't installed in my german version

I ignored readme, logfiles and similar stuff.

fbrooks

Dec 22, 2004
The funny thing is I did it too with patch 1.10
But now with the new patch, everthing is in french again.
I too did change some *.dll files (I think) , but i dont remember wich ones.
Thx anyway

Hyarmenion

Apr 21, 2004
Switzerland
I changed the written language several times in 1.09 and 1.10. All I needed was the lang.dll file in the language you wanted. But pay attention you need the old version of this file for creating a new account...

Don't know if one can already download this file for 1.11 and if it still works is the other question.

fbrooks

Dec 22, 2004
I did some research too and all you need in 1.10 was the "d2lang.dll" file in the language you want.

Can somebody plz e-mail me the english version of this file to : [email protected]

so I can try if it still works

Thx