• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

First post, and a request.

Necromortis

Aug 14, 2005
California
First post, and a request.

Hi all, this is my first post on this board. I browse around here a lot, but I just got around to joining. Anyway, just saying hi.

Now, as for the request.

I've been playing DII LoD for a long time now, and I've played all the 'cookie cutter' builds when I was a wee chappie and just starting out, and I've been experimenting with my own builds for a while. The problem is, a lot of these builds are dependant on specific items. And I only play untwinked Single Player. So that poses a problem.

Anyway, I came here looking for unusual builds, builds that aren't you're generic 'take me to Hell and kill things' builds. Builds that may or may not be just ideas in your head. They don't have to be playtested. I just want ideas please. And please don't tell me exactly where to point skill points and the like, nor what gear works. Just concepts if possible.

As a final note, I'm open to any race except the Barbarian. I'm really, really, really, really, really, tired or Barbarians.

Thanks so much to anyone who replies to this,
~Necro

Kugel

Jul 22, 2003
Slovakia
Mojomancer - curses only :)
Holy Fire paladin
fendazon, Tankazon
Fire elemental druid
Hunter (druid, summons and bow)
staff barb - sorry :)

just a few :) some of these are very hard.

Necromortis

Aug 14, 2005
California
Thanks so much for the reply. I believe I started a Hunter...but my computer crashed and had to have the Hard Drive wiped (which blew).

What exactly is a Fendazon...and a Tankazon? Amazons that do something, that much I got ;)

A Mojomancer sounds nice...how hard are they to play?

I've played Fire Elemental druids before...damn, that's hard to play.

Holy Fire...Wasn't that a basis for a really good build a while back?

And no Barbarians ;)

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Do you have any others?

Thanks again,
~Necro

GooberGrape

Jan 24, 2004
*puts Grief runeword in "Ruff-Neck Workin' Boots", mounts to rocket-propelled grenade*

Target aquired: shins. Initiate launch sequence!

Necro watches in horror as his Marrowalk-bugged-no-longer Bone Armor shatters into tiny splinters, along with his tibia!!! OH NOES!!!

Welcome aboard, Necro.

As for wacky builds, are you running 1.11? If so, might I suggest:

The Enchantless Enchantress!

Straight up melee fighting, it's not just for barbarians anymore!

-GG

Necromortis

Aug 14, 2005
California
I'm actually running v1.09 :( Yep, sad isn't it? It's just that the only computer with an internet connection is my parent's, and they don't want Diablo II on their computer (DAMN THEM!). When I move into my new house, I'll update it to v1.11.

Thanks for the welcome. Though I've never actually owned a pair of Marrowwalks.

Thanks for the suggestion though, when I upgrade, I'll try that out.

~Necro

Humphrey

Jul 5, 2005
Nottingham, UK
Necromortis said:
It's just that the only computer with an internet connection is my parent's, and they don't want Diablo II on their computer (DAMN THEM!).

Just download the patch onto a floppy and then put in on your comp then?

Necromortis

Aug 14, 2005
California
Humphrey said:
Just download the patch onto a floppy and then put in on your comp then?

I tried that...updating to v1.07 a while ago. It made my computer crash and deleted all my files...see my first post.

I wish I could. Ughhh. Be patient...that's what I keep telling myself.

Anyway, back on topic. Any more builds?

Thanks,
~Necro

water_moon

Jul 19, 2004
IL, USA
Tut tut, the topic is "welcome!" Speaking of which... *hands over welcome basket of baked goods and squid repelant <--this stuff helps with the whole computer crash thing* Now tell us about your self, what you do when you're not playing D2, etc. etc.

How 'bout a pally? I played a 1.09 passive paly (used mostly redemption and salvation) up to Hell before I swithed to 1.10 and was way out classed by the new monster levels. And that was before I knew of the wonder that is ATMA so it was all untwinked.

Feceset

Jul 18, 2004
Lafayette, LA
Well, if you're in 1.09, what about one of those sorcies that puts slowly puts one point into each skill, then moves on to a second point, then third, etc

I remember hearing about someone doing it, but I don't remember who. Quicksilver maybe?

TheWormishOne

May 10, 2005
Oslo, Norway
Shoot! Most of my ideas involve Barbarians. How about some kind of pacifist Paladin, using Thorns as his only source of damage (should work in 1.09)?

Oh, and welcome to the SPF!

TrubbaNot

Jun 21, 2005
Midwest US
Check out the rules for the All Alone tourney. This is a challenge and a lot of fun. It's too late to join the tournament itself, but worth doing just for the joy of the restrictions. Briefly, you can't talk to anyone unless it's necessary to move forward in the questing of the game (don't talk to anyone in act 1 until after you've killed Andi & have to talk to Warriv to get to A2... meaning that you don't get hirelings, ever.) Can't buy, sell or repair; can't use your stash, either, so you are limited to what you can carry in your backpack.

Oh, and welcome to the SPF. Did anyone give you a shin-healing rejuv yet? Here's one on me :drink:

Necromortis

Aug 14, 2005
California
Thanks all for the nice welcome and all the ideas. I just checked my computer, and lo and behold, I was wrong, I'm playing v1.10, not v1.09. *Rolls eyes* Stupid misinformation.

Anyway, about myself.

I'm fourteen, and I live in California, though I'm South African by birth. When not playing Diablo (and while playing Diablo as well actually) I like to listen to music. Melodic Death Metal to be exact. My three favorite bands are Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, and Shadows Fall.

I play lead guitar and sing in a band of mine, where I also write 95% of the music and lyrics. I also collect guitars (I'm going for my fifth). A non-musician won't understand it, but I hope some of you guys get it.

I also write. I'm currently writing a book titled Jotun~Vendetta...the first in the Jotun Trilogy. It's a Fantasy.

Well, enough about me now...

I've settled for a Paladin that I've never heard of before. Here's what he is:

He's a Paladin that will eventually max out Thorns, Zeal, Sacrafice (synergy), and...oh ****, I can't remember the skill name. The Resist All aura...I'll also have at least 5 points into each of the "Resist" Aura's to get me by before I can get that Resist All one.

You see, the basic premise is he pumps up his magical resistance so high, that he can't be touched except by physical damage. And that's where Thorns comes in. And Zeal as well.

I'm not entirely sure how well this build will preform, but it's proving really fun to play. I realize there are a few Physical Immunes which might give me trouble though. And ideas for dealing with them? Just a Merc?

Well, keep the suggestions coming, I sometimes have up to four characters going at once. If you catch my eye with one, I'll start it.

Thanks for all the kind words and builds,
~Necro

GooberGrape

Jan 24, 2004
Keep in mind, a paladin can only have one aura effective. It is my understanding that you intend to use two auras. I suggest using an Act2 Thorns merc, and only pumping the defensive auras on your paladin.

Also, you'll want to have very low defense and no shield, so you get hit more often. Conveniently, this also allows for a very big weapon like a Great Maul. You might want to check out the skill Charge, it totally rules with big weapons, and puts you right in harm's way so the Thorns damage can kick in.

-GG

essojay

Jun 26, 2004
NH
Welcome to the forums!

The only benefit you'll get from putting points in the resist auras is the passive maximum resistance bonus.

What I'd suggest is you put 20 points into resist lightning to bring your maximum lightning resistance to 85% and also max Holy Shock and use it as your main aura. With Holy Shock (synergized by Resist Lightning) and Zeal, you'll be doing a lot of lightning damage really fast.

Necromortis

Aug 14, 2005
California
Thanks for the welcomes everybody.

Now, about my build.

Hmmm, see, I'm trying to avoid the basic Thorns build that was common a while ago. The way I see it, this build will constantly be switching between the two auras (Thorns and Salvation [I think it's Salvation]). I'm not sure it'll work...it may or may not.

Basically, it's a trial build. The Thorns build sounds fun though...I like big weapons. Though I won't invest in Charge. I'm going to see what this thing works out as.

But carry on with the suggestions, I'm making a list that should carry me over for a while.

Thanks,
~Necro