• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Expansion vs Classic??

mcriket002

Nov 1, 2003
Woodbridge, VA
Visit site
Expansion vs Classic??

Now that our brains and playstyles have been innundated by the expansion and all its content for a couple years now, I wanted to revisit Classic. This is also posted in the Community forum, but I think that you all (with people playing various patches) know a bit more. I was wondering what the differences were between the Expansion and Classic. I used to know, but have been playing the expansion for so long that I have forgotten.

A few (more obvious) differences that I am aware of are; these things are in the expansion but not in classic:

- 2 character classes, Druid and Assassin.
- Runes and Runewords
- Charms
- Act V and it's quests/monsters/bosses.
- Elite weapons and armors
- Big stash
- Weapon switch

What other things should I be aware of? Are rares still godly? (One thing I remember from 1.06 ) Thank you, in advance, for any and all information.

Shagsbeard

Jul 12, 2004
Central California Coast
One thing you're going to have to specify is which patch are you comparing. Some differences are patch related, and some are classic vs LoD related. The godly rare thing was a patch choice. Some items/mods have been changed or removed entirely because of balance concerns. If you want a complete list, you're going to have to page through patch notes and item lists. Not a small feat.

Most agree that LoD was an expansion that added to the game, rather than detracted from it. I think 1.10 and 1.10b (also called 1.11) are the most fun SP patch yet. There's enough variety of items and viable builds that you can play it for years and still see new stuff.

One thing you might focus on, if you're writing a history paper, is how gambling has changed over the patches.

Thirty-Thirty

Dec 16, 2004
Germany
Check me on this, but I think the following are expansion only, too:

- exceptional uniques,
- class-specific items, and
- ethereal items.

I think things like partial set bonuses and retaining your merc after he died or you changed act came in one of the patches. (1.07 probably?)

TheWormishOne

May 10, 2005
Oslo, Norway
Thirty-Thirty said:
Check me on this, but I think the following are expansion only, too:

- exceptional uniques,
- class-specific items, and
- ethereal items.

I think things like partial set bonuses and retaining your merc after he died or you changed act came in one of the patches. (1.07 probably?)

And don't forget:
-Crafted items.
-Socketed magic, rare, unique and set items.
-Jewels.
-Magic, rare, unique and set throwing weapons.
-CtC, charges and other modifiers.

Swivelguy2

Dec 6, 2003
body armor doesn't come socketed in classic.

And I think the max number of sockets on most everything is lower.

In short, socketed items just aren't that useful in classic, except for very early on.

Indemaijinj

Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
Visit site
Swivelguy2 said:
body armor doesn't come socketed in classic.

And I think the max number of sockets on most everything is lower.

In short, socketed items just aren't that useful in classic, except for very early on.

Well, the non-magical shield with 3 Pdiamonds is rather popular.

NeckRomancer

Jun 23, 2003
Philippines
Visit site
- single resistances could go up to 49% (supposed to be 50% but Classic also had the memorable n-1 bug)
- no +3 to a skill tree mods; no cruel or grandmaster's prefixes either
- +1/2 to all skills to more than one class can spawn on a rare amulet (someone got a +2 barb, +2 pal, +2 ama, LL rare amulet)
- no clvl requirements for uniques (SOJs, Eye of Etlich and Tarnhelm at clvl1!)
- set items have twice the durability of their Expansion equivalents
- uniques can be gambled much more easily in Classic
- unique amulets and rings drop/appear in a sequence
- uniques already in the current game cannot drop again
- Whirlwind and Jab were unaffected by weapon speed
- the resistance contribution of gems to shields varied within a certain range
- resistance penalties were only -20 in NM and -50 in Hell
- throwing weapons were never magical
- blocking was shield blocking - no dex factored in
- lit mastery featured reduced mana cost, not increased damage
- no elite weapons
- hirelings could not be equipped or transferred to other acts

WayWardSoul

Jun 3, 2005
nebraska
what patch was it that made the PI's so mean and everyone was trading the 6 P emerald bows for an SoJ on the realms? I believe it was the one right before LOD came out.