• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

EXP, leveling on Normal diff.

condemnation

Nov 29, 2004
my house
EXP, leveling on Normal diff.

hi guys.

just recently re-started a bnet char to play with some friends of mine (something to do when we are not 40-man raiding in World of Warcraft)

we play only in password protected games, and are not rushing/being rushed.

that being said, i have started a meteorb sorc who is currently in the start of act 5 and is level 30. (i solo'd diablo on /players 3 at level 26 - im proud of that)

my question is this: i know that baal runs in normal are a great way to gain exp and maybe get some good lowbie loot... how long (as in until what level) should i continue to run baal on normal? is it more beneficial to just beat him once on normal then go through nightmare?

keep in mind that i am soloing or playing with 2-3 other ppl, and i am completing all the quests.

thanks in advance for your help.

yelopen

May 19, 2005
O'Neil's Empire ~~~~~~ California
Back in 1.10, most people do baal runs until level 45 to 55. Myself, I stopped at 45.

But since your solo'ing with some other people, I would advise you to stop at 50+ so nightmare won't be such a "nightmare" for you :lol:

Elgar

May 4, 2004
its a matter of taste. I generally get bored with Baal really quick, and push on to NM. If you have the gear, and can handle NM, go ahead.

Painman

Jun 22, 2003
Massachusetts
Visit site
I usually start NM between 35 and 40, but my ladder char is 44 and hasn't started NM yet. She's ready to, but I'm doing some item farming. Exp and skillwise, she's wearing out her welcome in normal. :) She's already killed Baal so she can leave any time. The right time to start is a matter of preference and need, but act 5 exp gets slow in the mid 40s.

grimsleeper

Jun 22, 2005
India
gamersgraveyard.************
my personal taste -

I like to level up to 50 or so in 8 player Baal run games (much quicker that way). That way, I can quickly go thru the motions in NM, get into NM Ball runs until 70 or so. Then get into act5 hell... do anya and start running Pindle (did anybody not see that coming? :D )
Eventually I get back to Normal, NM and other hell quests I missed. I can finish them really quickly.
Pindle runs... ummm what can I say? I levelled my necro in the last ladder to 92 doing pretty much just Pindle runs (with the occasional tryst with Mephi, Diab and Baal.
Again, that's my personal taste because I love the "gambling" aspect of item running. Knowing that Pindle has only 0.000001% chance (or sthg like that) or dropping a Windforce, and seeing it drop from his wasted behind... it's one helluva kick!!

~GrimSleeper

AnimeCraze

Jul 13, 2005
Vancouver
My personal taste-

I go to nm whenever I killed norm Baal solo, be it lvl 31 or 50. Of course, if I need to farm for items (like now), it would be different. Same for moving from nm to hell.

ToadKiller

Jun 23, 2003
Limbo, CA
Visit site
I kept doing normal Baal runs until about 42-ish. After that, it wasn't really worth it in terms of XP or items. I try to only "run" creatures when I'm still getting good XP: that way, even if item finding is a bust, I'll still level.

TK