• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Duel - Reality Check

Wurmer

Jun 23, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Duel - Reality Check

Since the ladder reset I have been playing my ex ladder lighting trapper all decked out with what I had on my none ladder account. She has good gear. For the fun of it, I have decided to duel her in pubbies pvp games. She has around 3000 Bo'ed HP (I know that by today standards it's a bit low but she was not meant for pvp at first) and her lightning traps can do up to around 10k max damage.

I have not duel in a good long while really but I did my good share a pvp so I know that in pubbies everything and anything goes. Still, I must admit that a couple of things surprised me nevertheless :

1) Many of the games I entered were made in normal mod.(I joined the game by typing the name without seeing it). What the hell is that ? There are no reasons, Imho, that dueling games should take place in normal mode. With what the game offers now, it's completely ridiculous. Is this the new ways of dueling now ?

2) I don't know if my lighting trap damage is considered weak but it seems to deal very little damage to a lot of people. Are people all sporting 90 % lightning resistance with 40 % lightning absord ? I remember dueling lightning trappers with my paladin and even with thundergod and 85 % lightning resistance I was taking some serious damage. I know that duelers now can have very high life, 4000 HP or even more but I was a bit flabbergasted that they can stand in the middle of a trap field, being MBlasted and having fun like it's their business.

3) I am also really amazed that MH and AA are in full force in PvP games even after the latest ban spree. In this regard, things haven't changed that much since my dueling days :(

HandofElysium

Jun 23, 2003
USEast Realm *andivius, *andivius2
AA is not available at this time and the only MH thats available is the one that got everyone banned. Not me of course....but the ones that used it.

As far as trapsins goes it depends what characters were tanking your traps.

I know my barb with tgods can't take alot of punishment but I can't say that for alot of caster builds.

Oct 20, 2003
Visit site
Wurmer said:
3) I am also really amazed that MH and AA are in full force in PvP games even after the latest ban spree. In this regard, things haven't changed that much since my dueling days :(

AA is currently disabled. MH is not prevalent, and, even if it was, it should not impact your ability to win if you play right. The last recent version of MH resulted in 1000's of banned people. There are NOT many people with MH atm.

If you don't like norm games, which are not the standard in any event, make your own hell dueling games.

The problem with a single element build in pubbies is that people will absorb you. This has always been a weakness of pure light or pure fire trappers. They will squelch you, absorb you, and not hear a thing you say to complain about it. As a single element build, you should be prepared for this type of thing fairly often in public games. I don't condone it, but it's common enough to make me not play trappers.

Wurmer

Jun 23, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I may be mistaken but I was dueling a blizzard sorcy and strangly her blizzard seemed to find me pretty easily and it's not like I was standing still. I might be wrong but it looked a lot like AA. Beside, the dude told me he was using it, of course maybe he was just bragging.

As for MH, I have had enough experience in PvP against MH user to know when someone is using it and believe me it's in use. Not saying it will make your oppenent win all the the time but it sure helps him to be able to see you from afar when you cannot. Also, I have been told that the latest MH enables your opponent to see your layed traps. If that's true, it's some serious advantage.

True that a single element built has a weakness in that it's always possible to counter it but I was just surprised that a lot of people seemed to carry a lot of absorb as their standard gear.

Anways, I am not taking this too seriously. I still enjoy dueling more than I thought and I won a good many duels anyways even though I am quite rusty.

amphrosyne

Jul 20, 2005
the new AA isnt out yet and i dont think ppl would want to use netters mh which got them all banned even tho he released an update. and yeah the maphacks now enable users to see traps/missiles, etc

HandofElysium

Jun 23, 2003
USEast Realm *andivius, *andivius2
Wurmer said:
I may be mistaken but I was dueling a blizzard sorcy and strangly her blizzard seemed to find me pretty easily and it's not like I was standing still. I might be wrong but it looked a lot like AA. Beside, the dude told me he was using it, of course maybe he was just bragging.

As for MH, I have had enough experience in PvP against MH user to know when someone is using it and believe me it's in use. Not saying it will make your oppenent win all the the time but it sure helps him to be able to see you from afar when you cannot. Also, I have been told that the latest MH enables your opponent to see your layed traps. If that's true, it's some serious advantage.

True that a single element built has a weakness in that it's always possible to counter it but I was just surprised that a lot of people seemed to carry a lot of absorb as their standard gear.

Anways, I am not taking this too seriously. I still enjoy dueling more than I thought and I won a good many duels anyways even though I am quite rusty.

Dueling got quite easier especially with the season veterans such as yourself. The fact that MH and AA are not common place right now it has separated the real duelers to the wannabe.

I read on other boards that it will be quite difficult for MH to be implemented undetected because 1.11 has implemented a server side update so no patch needed for certain updates to occur.

Since there is a dynamic update of the client you will constantly run the risk of getting banned at any given moment.

I guess there is no bots out there for the same reason... although I loved baal bots for leveling :( hee hee

luis19

Mar 28, 2004
HandofElysium said:
Dueling got quite easier especially with the season veterans such as yourself. The fact that MH and AA are not common place right now it has separated the real duelers to the wannabe.

I read on other boards that it will be quite difficult for MH to be implemented undetected because 1.11 has implemented a server side update so no patch needed for certain updates to occur.

Since there is a dynamic update of the client you will constantly run the risk of getting banned at any given moment.

I guess there is no bots out there for the same reason... although I loved baal bots for leveling :( hee hee

yeah i miss em too, but my friend can do baals really fast on a 200fcr fber. private baals > u ez

btw i got my grief :p gg

-Ferro-

Jun 25, 2003
Around my PC, actually.
Visit site
I would give all the botted baal runs for removing the commercials bots any day (here on Europe we all know about the goodnews; hornblowers, etc...spaming in every baal run or duel game).

Sad part is, bot baals are gone, but the goodnews bots still join the games to spam its bu****it. Same on channels, they whisper you everytime. Dont you find it weird?