• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

dual diablo windows?

Cinslayre

Jan 18, 2004
dual diablo windows?

Hi,
I'm currently the owner of 2 diablo and 2 LoD cd-keys, and I was wondering if it's possibly in any way to have 2 different diablo windows running at the same time. It would really make muling easier since I dont have 2 comps (However I have 2 monitors).

Cinslayer

keithano

Aug 2, 2005
Macau
www.fotop.net
Cinslayre said:
Hi,
I'm currently the owner of 2 diablo and 2 LoD cd-keys, and I was wondering if it's possibly in any way to have 2 different diablo windows running at the same time. It would really make muling easier since I dont have 2 comps (However I have 2 monitors).

Cinslayer

Do you have 2 CD-ROMS? I think it is possible. If you got only one CD-ROM, u will need a virtual rom for it

Apr 27, 2004
Denmark
Its possible.

I have 4 keys as well and can run them both at the same time.

You don't need 2 CD drives - but you need windows XP.

You cannot run 2 diablo's at the same time on one window logon account. With windows xp it's possible to change logon account without logging out.

ediot

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
nl
just get yaself a cheap laptop. for 50 euro's u are the man....
works for me fine too.. :thumbsup:

ian_linington

Nov 24, 2003
Surrey, England
Visit site
Raistlin_Majere said:
Its possible.

You cannot run 2 diablo's at the same time on one window logon account. With windows xp it's possible to change logon account without logging out.

That works but is very slow... you used to be able to swap a dll and run 2 or more copies on the same logon account.. but 1.11 upgraded the dll and now the other one no longer works.

Mmmm can I pursuare the wife that I should have another pc on my desk ^_^

Myrakh-2

Jun 23, 2004
flyff.cable.nu
I run two Diablos all the time --- just get an improved loader (watch out for hacked ones... don't want these) and you're all set.

The d2loader I'm using has a filesize of 34816 bytes and a CRC32/SFV checksum of 59E089E8.

Note, however, that you cannot have two open windows at the same time, even when running in windowed mode: when a D2 looses input focus it automatically iconifies. It's annoying for some cases (you can't just leave a window open to watch for /msgs, for example, while doing something else), but not a problem if you just want it for playing (since you can't actually *play* two diablos at the same time anyway... so no problem if the other instance is iconified).

Note that on my box it takes a few seconds to ALT-TAB between the two instances --- I don't know whether this is a D2 issue, an XP issue or a graphics driver issue...

Apr 27, 2004
Denmark
Sh4dovv said:
if i were u, due to todays bannings, id stay away from loader for a few weeks at least

I would stay away from it forever but thats just my opinion.

The method I suggested works and is 100% independant of third party programs, files or whatever.

Its true that it is a bit slower than pressing alt-tab but its not THAT bad. Certainly fast enough for me to transfer items.

aman

Assassin Moderator
Mar 23, 2005
Scotland
Raistlin_Majere said:
Its true that it is a bit slower than pressing alt-tab but its not THAT bad. Certainly fast enough for me to transfer items.

Sorry for the Ot but don't forget self rushing :clap:

Cinslayre

Jan 18, 2004
Raistlin_Majere said:
Its possible.

That was not a bad idea! I dont want to use hacks of any kind (even less since the resent mh bans), so I will try this.

So exactly how do I do this... I create 1 extra login acc on my xp and install diablo II a second time with the different cd-keys? And then I just swap users?

Thanks alot for all the answers!

Cinslayer

Apr 27, 2004
Denmark
Cinslayre said:
That was not a bad idea! I dont want to use hacks of any kind (even less since the resent mh bans), so I will try this.

So exactly how do I do this... I create 1 extra login acc on my xp and install diablo II a second time with the different cd-keys? And then I just swap users?

Thanks alot for all the answers!

Cinslayer

Yes - thats it! (Remember to install it to a different directory :D )

And you need to enable "fast logon" or something like that (control panel - user setting as far as I recall. I think this is the default for windows XP).

ian_linington

Nov 24, 2003
Surrey, England
Visit site
Raistlin_Majere said:
Yes - thats it! (Remember to install it to a different directory :D )

And you need to enable "fast logon" or something like that (control panel - user setting as far as I recall. I think this is the default for windows XP).

IIRC it allways installs to a default directory. So rename your existing diablo directory "Diablo II 2 " and then reinstall. Then just set up a new icon pointing to the copied directory on the other user account. Using it to self mule is OK but trying to use it to self rush is a pain.

Astrocreeper

Jun 3, 2004
ian_linington said:
IIRC it allways installs to a default directory. So rename your existing diablo directory "Diablo II 2 " and then reinstall. Then just set up a new icon pointing to the copied directory on the other user account. Using it to self mule is OK but trying to use it to self rush is a pain.

What about Windows 2000?

If I log on as something other than administrator, install dii under that user account, then log in as administrator and create a shortcut to the diablo in the other users desktop, can I run 2 instances under win 2k?

Mammel248

Banned
Feb 7, 2005
Netherlands
Cinslayre said:
So exactly how do I do this... I create 1 extra login acc on my xp and install diablo II a second time with the different cd-keys?
Cinslayer
How do I do this? I have XP and installed D2 with my own CD key. But when I try to install it under a new account, it says D2 is already installed. I'm sorry for my XP noobtitude but I only recently switched from 98 to XP.

Nov 18, 2004
MD, USA
Mammel248 said:
How do I do this? I have XP and installed D2 with my own CD key. But when I try to install it under a new account, it says D2 is already installed. I'm sorry for my XP noobtitude but I only recently switched from 98 to XP.
You need to install it into a different location. Note that you will need 2 sets of cd-keys to have both instances on battle.net at once.

Mammel248

Banned
Feb 7, 2005
Netherlands
No no, I have another problem. I wasn't clear enough.

My problem is, when I try to install another Diablo 2 on this computer, on another account, it says it is already installed. My setup window doesn't show: "Install Diablo II" but "Play Diablo II". I don't even get to the dialogue where it asks the directory.

I thought the problem had been I had installed my first copy on my admin, but when I install it as a non-admin it doesn't create the registry keys (I get this error after installation).