• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Dual claws

boogieback

Jul 22, 2003
Washington State University
Visit site
Dual claws

After searching through 9 pages of posts from a search on dual claws, I concede to breaking down and posting. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Scenario 1: Two claws - no stats on either - no Weapon Block or Claw Mastery skills invested - no skills requiring dual claws invested

Scenario 2: One claw/One shield - no stats on either - we'll pretend this shield has NO BLOCKING on it (unrealistic, but bear with me, I want to take all blocking out of either equation) - shield has X AC (some amount, the indepentant variable in this scheme).

In summation, we have a dual claw scenario and a claw/shield scenario, where the only obvious advantage to one or the other is that the claw/shield adds AC.

With only these factors in mind, intentionally neglecting all other options that are possible, is there any IAS, damage, AR or "hidden" benefits to using dual claws over the claw/shield option?

Dawnmaster

Apr 23, 2004
Belgium
Well, you might want to try this in the Assa forum, since no other chars can wield a Claw :rolleyes:

Also, what is AC? I feel like a noob for asking :D

Phyrexial

Jun 23, 2003
forums.diabloii.net
Barring the blocking issues, no. There are no hidden AR, damage, etc bonuses to using either setup.

Just incase you miss something though, here are some pros and cons:

Dual Claw:
- Can block spells
- No dex required to attain max block, just +skills
- Has zero block when moving at all, claw block only seems to work when standing still
- Has a lower maximum block as most sins will only get enough +skills for 50-60% block
- As the most popular shield is generally Stormshield, you are missing out on alot of potential DR. Although it balances out a bit because of SS's large str req.

Claw/Shield:
- 75% max block
- skill points saved
- Can block when running or walking

Dec 20, 2003
Indiana
the only benefit i can see from dual wielding claws is to stack bonuses from certain uniques like bartucs, or a natalyas set//bartucs combination for lots of skills, stats, resists, etc.

other than that, i dont know if there are any hidden bonuses.

Phyrexial

Jun 23, 2003
forums.diabloii.net
Dawnmaster said:
Well, you might want to try this in the Assa forum, since no other chars can wield a Claw :rolleyes:

Also, what is AC? I feel like a noob for asking :D
I think he's referring to the defense that having a shield adds, I've heard the term AC used to refer to defense in other RPGs.

Hacknshoot

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Phyrexial said:
I think he's referring to the defense that having a shield adds, I've heard the term AC used to refer to defense in other RPGs.

Yes. AC, also named Armour Class, was the term in the Dungeons and Dragons games for being able to avoid being hit. It's the same principle: The higher your AC level(or lower, depending on which game you play; most of the lower ones tie into Baldur's Gate 1 and IWD1, while most other games have an increasing AC rate), the less likely it is that an enemy, with all attack rolls and modifiers on, can hit you. I tend to use AC for defence in D2.

boogieback

Jul 22, 2003
Washington State University
Visit site
Thanks Pyrex. I can't think of really any reason to dual weild then, except maybe in the case where one claw has a large poison damage mod on it.

Sorry Dawn, force of habit. D2 is just about the only computer RPG I can think of that uses Defense instead of AC. When I think Defense I think console RPG. ;)

Phyrexial

Jun 23, 2003
forums.diabloii.net
boogieback said:
Thanks Pyrex. I can't think of really any reason to dual weild then, except maybe in the case where one claw has a large poison damage mod on it.
There are certain mods that are much easier to get on claws than shields or just plain impossible to get on shields. For example, you would be very hard pressed to match the mods you get for dual wielding Bartuc's. Not too many shields can offer those same mods or anything close.

Being able to block spells comes in pretty handy as well.

Omikron8

Jun 28, 2003
Middle branch of martial arts is single claw only

left branch of martial arts is dual claws only

this should decide your c/c or c/s preference

Hacknshoot

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Omikron8 said:
Middle branch of martial arts is single claw only

left branch of martial arts is dual claws only

this should decide your c/c or c/s preference

Actually, the first 2 skills in the middle branch are useable with any weapon, and dual-wielded claws, save ranged weapons. The other 4 main charge-ups can only be used with dual claws or barehanded.

Omikron8

Jun 28, 2003
When i mean "only" i mean that tiger strike and cobra strike and phoenix strike will only attack with the right hand claw. This means that your other hand is useful for nothing except defensive mods, in which case shield > claw