• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

depressed :(

tyvbal

Feb 1, 2005
depressed :(

Well, 2 weeks ago i pretty much had diablo out of my life. Ever since i saw my friend's msn name - "OMG patch 1.11 is out!", i have not been the same ever since. With mingled curiosity, i went to check it out. In a matter of seconds, I went from slightly interested to hyped up excitement. WOW! new event! An opportunity to get rich (well, even richer i guess)! A cool new charm! and yet, i was stuck and still am here in canada caus im currently here for 1 and a half months visiting my relatives. This was okay until i heard that ladder was going to reset. OMG!! i have been waiting so long to get my hands on those spirit shields and insights! the grief i've heard so much about! fortitude!! and yet cruel cruel fate has me here stuck with no diablo. When i get back, alot of the non ladder population will have gotten their hands on the first batch of ladder only runewords. It is only a matter of time before even the crappiest ladder runewords will be worth like 100 hi runes. Thats one of the reasons i quit diablo, ladder reset seemed so far far away. And yet, this would be okay if my friend hadn't left diablo too. To make a long story short, i first met him on nonladder and i helped him out alot even though he was just an online friend. I shared even my best items with him until he decided to try ladder. Eventually he got unbelievably rich and built a semi-empire for himself. With this, he promised me any ladder runewords i might want when it resets. Now, because of this stupid stupid trip, i don't even get to see my friend again because by the time i get back, he'll be gone again after searching for me since ladder reseted. Just venting as i'm feeling quite low right now.

p.s. i know its an online game, but its the prospect of seeing my friend again that truly makes me sad :(

ELNINO

Jul 24, 2004
tyvbal said:
It is only a matter of time before even the crappiest ladder runewords will be worth like 100 hi runes.

How true. Ladder RW's should be able to be made on NL now that they are available. Blizzard made a huge mistake, imo.

tyvbal

Feb 1, 2005
ELNINO said:
How true. Ladder RW's should be able to be made on NL now that they are available. Blizzard made a huge mistake, imo.
i whole heartedly think that if blizzard made rws makeable in nl too, it would save ALOT of trouble for people and would balance out the economy

paramond

Aug 3, 2005
Sydney
Just go to some internet Cafe and play it or something, since its a new ladder session, your NL items are that much at risk anyway!

Out of topic, this is a way Blizzard encourage player to play on Ladder and no more hack/dupe item, making it fairer for everyone.

MickRaider

Banned
Aug 3, 2005
tyvbal said:
i whole heartedly think that if blizzard made rws makeable in nl too, it would save ALOT of trouble for people and would balance out the economy
Blizzard made the ladder because they don't care about an economy. They prefer the straight up leveling. They have publically come out to say they despise rushing, runs, etc and have done everything they can to stop people. So they just reset the ladder to force people to play on what they want. They could care less about NL, they probably put it as high of a priority as Open.

Volvagia

Jun 20, 2005
North Carolina
MickRaider said:
Blizzard made the ladder because they don't care about an economy. They prefer the straight up leveling. They have publically come out to say they despise rushing, runs, etc and have done everything they can to stop people. So they just reset the ladder to force people to play on what they want. They could care less about NL, they probably put it as high of a priority as Open.

You're probably right, except you make it sound like a bad thing.

When Blizzard made the game, they actually intended for new chars to PLAY it. Not wait for a friend of a friend to get to a high enough level to rush them to Hell Cows in 10 minutes, and the player gain 20 levels per game. Then patch 1.10 actually made the game less rushable, more playable, and more interresting to play, since with synergies there became multiple builds for each char instead of the generic ww barb, zealot, orb sorc, etc., and upping monster difficulty where a lvl 65 assasin with Rixot's Keen actually couldnt kill hell baal in 4 hits.

The Ladder encourages people to give up their wealth for any cookie-cutter build they decide to make out of boredum, and actually play the game. No one has a set equipment waiting on a mule for the player to hit level 42, or 63, or whatever. Playing the game the way it was meant to be played, the way it was originally played, the way the testers played in '99-early 2000. Ladder only items, and runewords is just that final little pinch in the rear that most people need.

Phyrexial

Jun 23, 2003
forums.diabloii.net
Blizzard does care about NL, otherwise the most recent event and latest batch of runewords with 1.11 would have been Ladder only. There are many reasons you could speculate about as to why Blizzard made the Ladder only exclusives and won't let them be made on NL:

- Rewards players that are willing to start over fresh and work for them.
- Rewards those same players with a bit of an edge over the NL players that have collections of gear built up over the course of potentially 3-4 years.
- Added incentive to play Ladder if not for the fresh start or simply using the new runewords, but the possibility to be rich when the ladder season ends by selling your ladder only gear to the NL people.

Makes sense to me.

@The thread starter: Just try to contact your friend via AIM or e-mail or something. I'm sure he'd be willing to save you something if you really were good friends. If you have no other contact info other than his account, choose a member you trust on these boards to simply tell him your situation so he doesn't think you fell off the face of the Earth.

tyvbal

Feb 1, 2005
Phyrexial said:
@The thread starter: Just try to contact your friend via AIM or e-mail or something. I'm sure he'd be willing to save you something if you really were good friends. If you have no other contact info other than his account, choose a member you trust on these boards to simply tell him your situation so he doesn't think you fell off the face of the Earth.
*sniffs* good man, good man :D btw, it's not about the items, it's about talking to him again, i would bet everything i have that he's probably trying to find me at this precise moment

I think, everything is quite fair.
Non-ladder players can relatively easy afford all the best items in the game, but don't have access to some extra Ladder stuff. Ladder players can get all, but have to work for it. Not so many ladder players have uber-runewords like Fortitude and Infinity. And don't forget that not so many of them can afford even an Enigma, which is not a very big problem on non-ladder.
Yes, ladder players can put thir hands on some great cheap runewords like Edge, Harmony, Insight, Obedience and Spirit (which looks like an excuse to ladder casters, who can't afford HotO:)), but that completes the list. You want them - start a ladder play, and welcome to Normal Blood Moor with a Short sword and Buckler. Furthermore, it's a good moment to start - ladder has just been reset, and don't forget that nobody takes your non-ladder accounts away.
The choice is up to players - cheap stuff or a little challenge and better rewards.
Finally, Ladder monsters are tougher and faster, so it's once again fair that ladder players have some "additional guns for them.

MauJ

Jun 9, 2005
UsEast SCL
The truth is the best ladder items wont be spread to the public. Obviously the ladder players will keep their advantage over NL and keep most of their Higher end items like their griefs/spirit etc.

I have seen some unreal offers for 35% spirits, but none even enough to make me turn my head.

I mean what could you possibly pay for a 200% eth up'ed titans? Nothing on NL is even worth it. Or a 35% spirit or a perfect grief? They are the elite of their classes and unless they are useless to the person who owns them I doubt many items will be spread.

Btw as far as NL trading is going so far, all I get are lowball offers. NL people are trying to treat Ladder people like they're stupid. I got offered Ist um 2 times in a row for a Perf Mat Faith...15/2/3 15% ed base...back in Ladder that wasn't even enough to buy the bow...let alone the runes and the perfect roll.

I just see trading items like these would just be downgrading, get what 40x 3/20/20's for a grief? Woohoo, I bet my grief barb could beat that botd barb with 40x 3/20/20's :)

Phyrexial

Jun 23, 2003
forums.diabloii.net
@MauJ: Well, if the Ladder players were of mediocre wealth like myself then of course they won't be willing to trade those ladder exclusives. They probably barely had enough to make 1 runeword of that type that they needed. However, there were plenty of people loading up on multiple copies of high end ladder only runewords for the sole purpose of trading them to the NL people. I know a couple people with 8+ high roll Griefs and Forts amongst other sought after items in anticipation of the inevitable demand for them.

Personally, I've got 1 extra 35% Spirit Monarch and a perfect roll Fort Archon that I made for the sole purpose of trading once I got to NL. I'm looking around for a full inventory of dam/ar/life charms but like you said, alot of the NL players are definetly lowballing on the new items. I'm holding onto mine until the demand finally brings the price to something decent.