• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

D2E updated database sharing

Firvagor

Jul 7, 2005
NH, USA
D2E updated database sharing

I suppose this goes in this forum because it has to do with Diablo II. If you have an issue about the placement of this post, go tell the mods and let them decide, don't whine about it here and not do anything.

Seeing that the D2 Encyclopedia was probably the best offline D2 reference out there, and that the project was closed down after 1.10 came out, I decided to update the encyclopedia's database. After finding the password (no I don't know how to find it by hacking or whatever, a couple people posted it on the author's feedback page), I added all the new unique/set items, and most of the new runewords. I couldn't update various other things because I don't know how to access the code within the program that's not in the database.

Ok, on to my question: I'd like to freely distribute this updated database so people don't have to check the Arreat Summit every time they need a stat check, but I'm afraid it might be some copyright infringement or something. I can't contact the author (AFAIK he hasn't released his e-mail or any other contact info besides the downed feedback page), so I can't get his permission. I didn't claim any info as mine, or even mention my name in anything; I just added everything and left everything else as is.
Would distributing the .mdb database file be ok as long as I don't try to make money, or would I be prone to some sort of penalty regardless?

Jun 22, 2003
Burlington, VT
I can't imagine you would get in any legal trouble, and since you can't contact the author I doubt you could get in any other sort of trouble. At worst people will accuse you of ripping off someone else's work.

Oh and OT to your bold thingy: Regular members posting constructive corrections and suggestions to troublesome posts is encouraged. It's not whining, it's helping to educate newer members and keep the forum running smooth. When posters say things like you did, it makes me question their post even more, although in this case the post seems fine.

Firvagor

Jul 7, 2005
NH, USA
I said that because I've posted a couple times and people say "it's in the wrong forum" and are too lazy to do anything about it. I can't report my own post (no button), and PMing a specific mod doesn't seem to be very effective.
Criticizing the contents of my posts is fine, it's only that saying it should be moved and not doing anything is what's annoying.

Gorny

Banned
Sep 9, 2003
Firvagor said:
I said that because I've posted a couple times and people say "it's in the wrong forum" and are too lazy to do anything about it. I can't report my own post (no button), and PMing a specific mod doesn't seem to be very effective.
Criticizing the contents of my posts is fine, it's only that saying it should be moved and not doing anything is what's annoying.

Then Pm an admin like Elly.

It's her site and she makes the decisions about it.

I dont think there is a legal problem with it, Im no expert anyway, but I don;t think you could like to it from here or use this sites forums to distribute it since the rules do not allow it.

Oh, and about PM'ing specific mods, I know you did not contact me.

Firvagor

Jul 7, 2005
NH, USA
aragorn_elessar said:
Then Pm an admin like Elly.

It's her site and she makes the decisions about it.

Yes, when I posted those other threads I was a clear forum noob and wasn't aware that certain mods were more "active" than others. I had only tried one mod to begin with so I didn't spam inboxes. :eek:

deathman

Jan 15, 2006
missouri usa
firvagor
thanks i have just join and have been looking for a updated ver of the encyclopedia for v1.10 mine work for 1.09 but when i up to 1,10 it quit where can i get this update thanks

Dredd

D3 Off Topic Moderator
Jan 3, 2004
Your subconscious
Gorny said:

Me neither.

Since the encyclopedia is a distributable program, Elly would be the appropriate person to contact.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
Aug 17, 2003
Hamburg, Germany
I don't think it's legal to publish copyrighted material which has been modified without permission of the author, no matter if he can be contacted or not. In addition, people here might give you advice on the issue, but that's irrelevant with respect to you having to suffer the consequences of your actions, as well as the owners of the web site which grants access to it, especially if they do it knowingly.

Please note that this is just the legal situation as far as I understand it. It's not my personal opinion about the issue and in particular, each country has different laws with respect to copyrights.

Sharaz

Jun 18, 2004
USWest SCNL
www.dfwlp.com
did you read tall the docs that came with the original? most of the time people release stuff like this under GPL, in which case youre allowed to make any changes you want, and re-release it, as long as what you re-release is free of charge, and gives the original author credit for what they did.