• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

D2 Etiquette on Runs/Rant

Jun 22, 2003
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Visit site
D2 Etiquette on Runs/Rant

This has bothered me for some time now and I'd like to get this off my chest. There are plenty of people on Bnet that just have no sense, and there seem to be no informal rules about game running such as Baal or Cows. So what would you like or use as a set of running rules that you would hope people would follow? Here's mine.

1. When making a Baal/Cow run and you don't have the proper quests done, don't expect people to do them for you, especially getting Cain in Hell.

2. When making cows, please don't take the leg and leave. The only person that should be allowed to do this is the person who went to get the leg and only after it has been determined that no one can make the portal. Which brings me to...

3. Don't make a cow game unless you or one other person you know can make the portal. You're wasting server space and resources if you can't. Have some sense. U-Make Cow games don't work, except in Hell. For example, someone wants to do normal cows. Anyone who can make it would have had to complete normal and thus can't see your game in the join games window. Which also brings me to...

4. Next to the name of the games there is a box with the people in the game and the age of the game. Look at the time. If its a Baal run and more than 10 minutes have passed, its finished. Don't expect people to party with you after that. Cow games are similar, but it doesn't bother me as much. If the game is more than 10 minutes old, then you're more than likely not going to be killing cows. (I look for these games all the time to scavenge them. The things people leave behind are rediculous.)

5. For the Baal runs, if no one wants to or can tele, don't leave, just run. I find more useful stuff and get plenty of experience running to Baal. If someone can tele, for example a game with all sorcs, the highest level sorc should do it since they are more than likely the strognest. That's another thing, any sorc that tells you that they don't have tele is lying! They're just to lazy to do it.

I can't think of anymore right now, but how does this look. I'm sorry for the rant, but I had to vent somewhere and this seems like the most appropriate place to do so.

Pherdnut

Sep 13, 2004
All sorcs get tele but they don't always have enough FCR to use it to tele to Baal safely. I learned this lesson by dying a lot. Leap Barbs are great early ladder Baal runners IMO.

MoonUnit

Jul 21, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
Nice set of rules there SBR. Would be awesome if everyone actually followed them! :rolleyes:

@ Pherdnut: I've tele'd to baal in hell using duel spirits and a smoke armor last season, was an ES build but it worked.

MoonUnit

Jul 21, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
ShockTactics said:
I only wish players didn't beg sorcs to teleport in baal games, the only person who knows if they are up for the job is the sorc in question. (besides, running is alot more fun in my opinion.)

I agree 100% with ya there Shock. Its up to the sorc to know their abilities and such.

Pherdnut

Sep 13, 2004
MoonUnit said:
Nice set of rules there SBR. Would be awesome if everyone actually followed them! :rolleyes:

@ Pherdnut: I've tele'd to baal in hell using duel spirits and a smoke armor last season, was an ES build but it worked.

Well, yeah, you had 50-70 FCR in your weapon/shield hands alone. When you don't have that 60ish FCR breakpoint, teleing through the hordes is suicide.

ArcOlixter

Oct 14, 2004
Outside the Beltway
Pherdnut said:
Well, yeah, you had 50-70 FCR in your weapon/shield hands alone. When you don't have that 60ish FCR breakpoint, teleing through the hordes is suicide.
Yep, 63%bp is the minimum. Plus that 110% fhr from dual Spirit didn't hurt either.

allensong

Jul 3, 2004
Toronto
when im a sorc, i usually dont teleport anyway because i often teleport into a horde of monsters who eats me alive in 3 seconds, so even if ur a sorc, its better to run most of the time =)

Hnoo B

May 10, 2005
California
SelfBaisResistor said:
5. For the Baal runs, if no one wants to or can tele, don't leave, just run. I find more useful stuff and get plenty of experience running to Baal. If someone can tele, for example a game with all sorcs, the highest level sorc should do it since they are more than likely the strognest. That's another thing, any sorc that tells you that they don't have tele is lying! They're just to lazy to do it.

I always leave those games for the following reason: most bnet players are too lazy or stupid to run. In games where everyone is standing around Harrogath doing nothing but saying "who's going" or "sorcy you should go" if you run you'll be the only person doing that, because all the other lazy $##@%s aren't going to move their butt. I have no problem running, and if I'm in a baal-run series where people are running, I'll run. But in some new game I just joined I'm not running, because I don't have so much experience to waste by dying because I'm running alone in an eight-player game (actually, it's often me and some delusion lvl. 70 char that often ends up herding every monster around).

rykuss

Banned
Aug 15, 2004
Running the deserts of Athas.
SelfBaisResistor said:
This has bothered me for some time now and I'd like to get this off my chest. There are plenty of people on Bnet that just have no sense, and there seem to be no informal rules about game running such as Baal or Cows. So what would you like or use as a set of running rules that you would hope people would follow? Here's mine.

1. When making a Baal/Cow run and you don't have the proper quests done, don't expect people to do them for you, especially getting Cain in Hell.

2. When making cows, please don't take the leg and leave. The only person that should be allowed to do this is the person who went to get the leg and only after it has been determined that no one can make the portal. Which brings me to...

3. Don't make a cow game unless you or one other person you know can make the portal. You're wasting server space and resources if you can't. Have some sense. U-Make Cow games don't work, except in Hell. For example, someone wants to do normal cows. Anyone who can make it would have had to complete normal and thus can't see your game in the join games window. Which also brings me to...

4. Next to the name of the games there is a box with the people in the game and the age of the game. Look at the time. If its a Baal run and more than 10 minutes have passed, its finished. Don't expect people to party with you after that. Cow games are similar, but it doesn't bother me as much. If the game is more than 10 minutes old, then you're more than likely not going to be killing cows. (I look for these games all the time to scavenge them. The things people leave behind are rediculous.)

I can't think of anymore right now, but how does this look. I'm sorry for the rant, but I had to vent somewhere and this seems like the most appropriate place to do so.

:clap: Nice set of rules there man! I'd like to add one if ya don't mind.

6) If someone does volunteer to tele or run for everyone, how about not spamming: poop, tp pls, pp pls, i need wp, can someone help me kill ancient's pls?, anyone got ne free? etc, etc, etc.

7) Ok i know i only said i'd add one, All lazy people in town should at least take the time to party up with anyone joining the game after the run has begun.

8) ok ok i'm doing it again, if you still insist on spamming: tp tp tp tp tp, don't whine when "I" er, i mean the runner, lands you a portal smack-dab in the middle of a soul pack........hehehehe. Ok i'm done. :p

Jul 30, 2005
Florida
Baal walks:

I mostly play sorc's so i know the feeling of u are a sorc so u can tele .......and there would be like 5 to 7 ppl standing around doing nothing and i would like to see more walk baal games, i have no prob in that...but why should i risk dying for them to get their precious tp in the throne room for them? when u reach the mid nineties in clvl u lose mucho exp when u die, and u know most ppl won't help u recover ur body......
So this ladder i will try to team up with some of u forum members for baal walks when i get to nm and hell diff......

Jun 22, 2003
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Visit site
rykuss said:

6) If someone does volunteer to tele or run for everyone, how about not spamming: poop, tp pls, pp pls, i need wp, can someone help me kill ancient's pls?, anyone got ne free? etc, etc, etc.

7) Ok i know i only said i'd add one, All lazy people in town should at least take the time to party up with anyone joining the game after the run has begun.

8) ok ok i'm doing it again, if you still insist on spamming: tp tp tp tp tp, don't whine when "I" er, i mean the runner, lands you a portal smack-dab in the middle of a soul pack........hehehehe. Ok i'm done. :p

I can't believe I didn't think of 6&7, especially 7. Whenever I enter a run game that's the first thing I do, party up and invite everyone else.

MoonUnit

Jul 21, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
rykuss said:

I liked #8 lol if ppl are being pains...just give em a couple dirty tps and they shut up :uhhuh:

Omikron8

Jun 28, 2003
Bypass the idiots in baal runs and run hell pit runs by yourself. MORE xp than baal runs (except baal's minions), laughably low monster hitpoints, stupid AI, crappy monster damage (except archers), and much more consistent elite class drops.

arcticknight

May 28, 2005
Chicago, IL
most people dont watch the party screen also.
ive made tps when i was running to get potion refills and such, then ppl would all run into my portal. quite funny.. :lol:

Fluffballer

May 4, 2005
Omikron8 said:
Bypass the idiots in baal runs and run hell pit runs by yourself. MORE xp than baal runs (except baal's minions), laughably low monster hitpoints, stupid AI, crappy monster damage (except archers), and much more consistent elite class drops.

Are pit runs in one player games more than Baal runs in 8 players? Or did you mean find a 7 player "Act 2 gogogo" game and pit run? (I think that's pretty rude actually, doing that makes it more difficult for the lower levels without contributing anything.)