• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Critical Strike and Deadly Strike

poolio

Aug 10, 2005
Critical Strike and Deadly Strike

Would some1 please explain this to me:

"Deadly Strike is the same thing as critical except that they DO NOT stack on top of each other. When you attack the computer in effect rolls to see if you do double damage with one. If you do then it does not roll for the other as you cannot get 4x the damage, but if the first roll fails then it rolls for the next one. Therefore if you have 50% deadly and 50% critical in theory you will always do double damage, although it does not work like this in real life although your chances of not doing double damage are quite low."

I would think it would have a 50% chance to do 2x dmg and if it didnt, it would only have another 50% chance to crit, but it seems like many people act like it stacks. Am i missing something? Thanks for any resonse.

superdave

Mar 14, 2004
please don't ban me.
www.abbasite.com
poolio said:
Would some1 please explain this to me:

"Deadly Strike is the same thing as critical except that they DO NOT stack on top of each other. When you attack the computer in effect rolls to see if you do double damage with one. If you do then it does not roll for the other as you cannot get 4x the damage, but if the first roll fails then it rolls for the next one. Therefore if you have 50% deadly and 50% critical in theory you will always do double damage, although it does not work like this in real life although your chances of not doing double damage are quite low."

I would think it would have a 50% chance to do 2x dmg and if it didnt, it would only have another 50% chance to crit, but it seems like many people act like it stacks. Am i missing something? Thanks for any resonse.

the chance of your zon doing double physical damage is....CS + (DS/100)*(100-CS)

and just in case you were wondering...critical and deadly strike double PHYSICAL damage....elemental or magic damage will never be doubled by critical or deadly strikes except that portion of elemental/magic damage that is CONVERTED from physical damage...also the effects of auras(except vengeance) that add to physical damage will also be doubled