• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Cow Level Question

essojay

Jun 26, 2004
NH
Cows are really nice for items too, by the way. It's especially nice if you're looking for gems, charms, jewels and socketable white items.

Also, there is a way to do cow runs while killing the king: create a tcp/ip game, open cows with another char, then use your cow runner to do the runs. This gets tedious, though, so it's best just not to kill the king.

ehertlein

Mar 14, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
increment.cx
Thanks so much for the quick replies. I tried it out this morning before heading into work and it looks like the NM cows on players7 will be a great way to stock up on gems, charms, and cash. Man that merc dying is getting expensive! ;)

D2Addict

Jun 25, 2003
Playing 1.09 & A bit of 1.11
Just in case you MP the rule changes slightly. If anyone in your party has not killed the king and kills the king everyone loses the ability to open the cow level. You have to watch the mercs especially.

TheWormishOne

May 10, 2005
Oslo, Norway
While we're on the subject, I want to ask a question for once; are there any handy tricks one can employ to avoid killing the king, or does one simply just have to be careful and keep an eye out?

Blascid

Jan 7, 2005
TheWormishOne said:
While we're on the subject, I want to ask a question for once; are there any handy tricks one can employ to avoid killing the king, or does one simply just have to be careful and keep an eye out?

Use only Lightning in the Cow level? The Cow King being LI-this is a perfect solution :).

TheWormishOne

May 10, 2005
Oslo, Norway
Blascid said:
Use only Lightning in the Cow level? The Cow King being LI-this is a perfect solution :).

He is? I thought that was random :bonk: Then this might be the perfect excuse to make that lightning sorc I've been wanting.

Toothpick

Aug 15, 2005
I've read in a few different places that the cow king is Lightning Immune , sadly my cold merc made short work of him and thus ended my Normal level cow hunting!

Just a little tip i learned (probably common sense) I scroll through the crowds looking for anything with the little "minion" tag if i see that i flee to my nearest town portal !

Nov 13, 2003
Jerusalem, Israel
Visit site
TheWormishOne said:
He is? I thought that was random :bonk: Then this might be the perfect excuse to make that lightning sorc I've been wanting.

It's a good excuse, but not the perfect excuse, a lightning fury amazon is much more effective.

As for the merc killing The Cow King: confiscate his (her) equipment, and you'll be without a merc shortly, so won't have to worry about accidental killing. This also solves the money problem, just do the level without a merc.

The above tactic might not work very well for all characters. But then, the only one I would really care about not killing The Cow King is a lightning fury javazon, with other characters I wouldn't bother running the cow level, mostly doing it once, and thus kill the king as well, he can drop quite good (apart from the milk bottles).

D2Addict

Jun 25, 2003
Yeah you have to watch the mercs if you have them when you cow especially since 1.10 and up can only go to players 8. It is not as big a problem in 1.09 when we are doing p64 cow runs. :) You have a moment to get out of there. The best strategy is when you find the pen go the other way. If you clear everything else first you can usually lure out the king and still wipe out everything except him. Necro bone prison is a great way to seal off the king somewhere safe while you finish the level.

The King is always Lightning Immune and a lot of the time he is also immune to either fire or cold too.

TheWormishOne

May 10, 2005
Oslo, Norway
D2Addict said:
Yeah you have to watch the mercs if you have them when you cow especially since 1.10 and up can only go to players 8. It is not as big a problem in 1.09 when we are doing p64 cow runs. :) You have a moment to get out of there. The best strategy is when you find the pen go the other way. If you clear everything else first you can usually lure out the king and still wipe out everything except him. Necro bone prison is a great way to seal off the king somewhere safe while you finish the level.

Cool! I love my Bonemancer, and there's nothing like mass Spears and CE for taking down a mob quickly :clap: I've just never dared to take him all the way out of fear for killing the king.

D2Addict

Jun 25, 2003
TheWormishOne said:
Cool! I love my Bonemancer, and there's nothing like mass Spears and CE for taking down a mob quickly :clap: I've just never dared to take him all the way out of fear for killing the king.

Just watch the CE radius. You can wipe him out pretty quick still with that. Don't forget amplify damage too. :)