• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Commando Question

Grimes

Jun 20, 2005
Commando Question

When im planning out my Commando's gear its real hard because a commando is like a melee/summoner so do you go more summon gear or more melee gear? before marrows were a good choice for summon and melee for obvious reasons +2 SM and the other thing.

this is what i was thinking:

helm-Shako "Um"/Gaze "Um"/maybe even Giant Skull "UmBer" (which?)
Armour-Enigma AP
boots-WT For the 200 dam boost
weapon 1-Beast Caddy or ettin (what looks and is nice?)
Weapon 2- AoKL prebuff
Sheild 1- storm "Um" (im trying to be abit unique looking + like the DR)
Sheild 2-Boneflame +3 Prebuff
Gloves- im thinking up'd Bloodfist
6 summon charms
hellfire + anihulus
5 res all SC's
LoH in cube for big demons

merc:
infinity
shaft?
guliums?

all the normal Commando skills

what ya think guys i need some help my head hurts

corax

Jan 11, 2004
australia
mmmmmmmm.....go with a big 2 handed axe for your beast. tis far cooler. or if not homu > stormshield
and with that many skellies and some bone armour you wont need the dr%

Mad Mantis

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator
Jun 24, 2003
In a cave
Visit site
Grimes said:
When im planning out my Commando's gear its real hard because a commando is like a melee/summoner so do you go more summon gear or more melee gear?

Depends a bit on your preference. I tend to gravitate more towards Melee gear with a good Summoning pre-buff. The Beast and +skills you'll have will make your Skellies very viable in Hell. Your Melee portion needs all the help it can get.

Grimes said:
helm-Shako "Um"/Gaze "Um"/maybe even Giant Skull "UmBer" (which?)

Shako is of course a good helm for added Life and %DR.

I'm not too keen on Giantskull. The bonuses aren't that spectacular, however adding those runes does make it more appealing. You could try to wear a G-Face yourself or an Andies.

Grimes said:
weapon 1-Beast Caddy or ettin (what looks and is nice?)

A Caddy is faster and has a lot more durability. I find an Ettin to need frequent repairs and to be a bit on the slow side, especially in Wereform where that lower speed will hurt you more. It does a lot more damage.

Grimes said:
merc:
infinity
shaft?
guliums?

G-face is a good idea for the Merc. Let him rip with the CB. Shaft is good for survival and of course Infinity will help you and your Skellies hit a lot more.

Grimes

Jun 20, 2005
MM i realy wanna use storm because i love it plus i think it might look better also im aiming for max DR because im gonna be melee'in alot with my skelies

Mad Mantis

Jun 24, 2003
In a cave
Visit site
Grimes said:
MM i realy wanna use storm because i love it plus i think it might look better also im aiming for max DR because im gonna be melee'in alot with my skelies

There are other single handed weapons more suited for use in Wereform. Try working a bit with This calculator. You’ll see what types of weapon are more suited. Storm is a good shield for use in a Melee build.

Grimes

Jun 20, 2005
Ok what that post before ment was: i know homoculus is good but i think stormsheild is just as good and will help with my DR, me saying that do you think i should go with it (storm sheild) or do you think i'll just die all the time and should go with homoculus? (btw im gonna have 5 res all sc's so res shoulndt be any problem...i hope)

Eh, some n00b questions. Why do people like Ettin Axe over a 5os Beserker Axe? It's faster, and the STR/DEX req trade-offs are pretty much the same... is it just because Ettin Axes have 5os max?

And...

"Infinity will help you and your Skellies hit a lot more."

Isn't Infinity the Conviction aura Runeword? How does it help out melee? :confused:

Pherdnut

Sep 13, 2004
I like War Spike because it has good speed and is a heck of a lot easier to find than a Caduceus while only doing slightly less damage. I prefer to rely on CB, OW, and DS mods to crank up the hits to having a higher damage but slower weapon. Both have the best speed for a necro. It's probably most tradeable in a Zerker or Caddy form though. Especially if the caddy has nice paladin skillers on it.

Mad Mantis

Jun 24, 2003
In a cave
Visit site
Grimes said:
Ok what that post before ment was: i know homoculus is good but i think stormsheild is just as good and will help with my DR, me saying that do you think i should go with it (storm sheild) or do you think i'll just die all the time and should go with homoculus? (btw im gonna have 5 res all sc's so res shoulndt be any problem...i hope)

SS is a really good shield for melee. It will serve you well. Sure you can also do well with Homun, but there is no real reason not to go with SS.

omgwtfbbqpwned said:
Eh, some n00b questions. Why do people like Ettin Axe over a 5os Beserker Axe? It's faster, and the STR/DEX req trade-offs are pretty much the same... is it just because Ettin Axes have 5os max?

There are a lot of people who try to get that axe, but as you already said it is a rather large pain in the but to acquire an 5os Berserker axe.

omgwtfbbqpwned said:
Isn't Infinity the Conviction aura Runeword? How does it help out melee? :confused:

Conviction lowers enemy defense by 83%.

Grimes

Jun 20, 2005
ok MM i'll keep that in mind for when i make my Commando in a few month's

ok at the moment im in the process of getting my summoner's gear PvM/MF
and his mercs gonna be the same as my commando... are you sure that 30 DR and 35 CB is enuff? see i thought a DR CB merc would have 50 DR and about 135 CB?

ok secound, what shall i put in that shaft n G-face? options are 2*Ums(if i can find another um for my homo) or Ber in the helm and UM in shaft (if i dont mind giving away my ber) or i have a nice little 15IAS 15% cold res jewel, what do you think? (i have lots of other mid runes and remember my weapon for him is infinity)

maybe pul for the def as shaft has only 8xx def

Mad Mantis

Jun 24, 2003
In a cave
Visit site
Grimes said:
ok at the moment im in the process of getting my summoner's gear PvM/MF
and his mercs gonna be the same as my commando... are you sure that 30 DR and 35 CB is enuff? see i thought a DR CB merc would have 50 DR and about 135 CB?

The Jab will cause CB to trigger often. No need to go overboard on the CB. The DR coupled with the Mercs regen and the +life items should keep him alive for quite a while.

Grimes said:
ok secound, what shall i put in that shaft n G-face? options are 2*Ums(if i can find another um for my homo) or Ber in the helm and UM in shaft (if i dont mind giving away my ber) or i have a nice little 15IAS 15% cold res jewel, what do you think? (i have lots of other mid runes and remember my weapon for him is infinity)

maybe pul for the def as shaft has only 8xx def

Some IAS in either of them wouldn't be a bad choice. Infinity doesn't come with any and it could help your Merc reach a faster bp.

The Pul won't give a gigantic boost to your Merc's defense. Better upgrade that Shaft if you want some real defense.

Resists are also not a bad idea. However I never really worry about the resists on my Act II Merc.

Grimes

Jun 20, 2005
ok cool well as im nonladder i'll wont bother trying to get a up'd shaft unless you think its quite important but like you say +life gear 30% DR low def and his oringenal life should all add up and keep him alive, i hope.

ok i'll use my 2 15 ias jewels on him, i'll keep an eye on him though just incase he starts to struggle