• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Charity Idea

bammargera

Member
Jul 24, 2005
232
0
103
Charity Idea

I was bored and i thought about something, what can I do to help some people from Diablo? Well the best idea I thought of was to make a charity. I would set up some mules and collect unwanted items from users and give them to the people who need them. But I can't do it by myself. I need help. So that's why im making this thread. I need a person to help me set up the Charity and collect items from people. This sounds stupid but you dont have to do it, ill do it myself. Just post if you're interested.


P.S. I hope this isn't the same thing as the giveaway thread.

P.S.S. Post if you like my idea or not
 

Phyrexial

Member
Jun 23, 2003
2,047
0
165
forums.diabloii.net
Something like this has worked in smaller private communities, where everyone in the community had access to a set of mules where they could deposit any unwanted but still potentially useful gear for anyone else in the community to use. However, in a larger more open community like this one the potential for abuse is very high depending on how efficient you want the system to be.

For example, if only one person has access to the mules and is in charge of distributing gear and putting donated gear onto the mules then any transfer of items on or off the mules becomes difficult and time consuming since they can only do it when that person is online and when they aren't busy. The more members involved, the more requests that will be made to put items into or take items out of the mules.

If you have many members with access, the potential for abuse (members taking alot more than their fair share or changing of the password) increases drastically. I've seen things like this get setup only to have one greedy person wait to get access to the mules to liquidate it into some form of currency.

Good intentions, but I don't think it will work.
 

5Ws

Banned
Dec 2, 2004
1,706
0
0
36
FL
I would gladly help, provided that you trust me, I'm sure forumer members can vouche for me as well.
And be patient, the thread is up for only a few hours, let it run for maybe a week or so, then decide if you want to do it on your own.
But a charity like this would be effective only if a large amount of trusted forumers can periodically deposit things in.
2nd EDIT
Hmmm, are you gonna be contributing items? Seems like you just posted in Giveaway Thread asking for stuff.
 

bammargera

Member
Jul 24, 2005
232
0
103
ya i might contribute i have some stuff lying around. Ya u have enough posts so i trust you. so i have 1 person helping me, any1 else?
 

Phyrexial

Member
Jun 23, 2003
2,047
0
165
forums.diabloii.net
bammargera said:
ya i might contribute i have some stuff lying around. Ya u have enough posts so i trust you. so i have 1 person helping me, any1 else?
Just so you know, I wouldn't doubt it if most forum members are wary of putting items on mules that you have access to. You are a fairly new member and if you try to look at this objectively it could be looked at as a scam.

Guy starts mules for charity
Members put items onto mules
Guy changes passwords and takes items

Not accusing you of anything, I just want to explain why this could potentially look shady. If 5Ws started this, I would probably contribute since he's fairly trusted and has been here awhile with a pretty productive posting record. I make games and give away free gear that I find in my MFing travels already, would be nice to know my extra gear was finding it's way to good people.
 

5Ws

Banned
Dec 2, 2004
1,706
0
0
36
FL
Which is exactly why I asked him why is he asking for stuff in the Giveaway Thread, and turn around and make this thing.
 

bammargera

Member
Jul 24, 2005
232
0
103
Phyrexial said:
Just so you know, I wouldn't doubt it if most forum members are wary of putting items on mules that you have access to. You are a fairly new member and if you try to look at this objectively it could be looked at as a scam.

Guy starts mules for charity
Members put items onto mules
Guy changes passwords and takes items

Not accusing you of anything, I just want to explain why this could potentially look shady. If 5Ws started this, I would probably contribute since he's fairly trusted and has been here awhile with a pretty productive posting record. I make games and give away free gear that I find in my MFing travels already, would be nice to know my extra gear was finding it's way to good people.
dude, you dont even get what im doing. ok I make a mule and people who have items they dont want give to me on that mule. they dont go on my account i get the items from them. and if other people help they should make their own mules and do the same thing im doing. why dont u get it?
 

5Ws

Banned
Dec 2, 2004
1,706
0
0
36
FL
bammargera said:
dude, you dont even get what im doing. ok I make a mule and people who have items they dont want give to me on that mule. they dont go on my account i get the items from them. and if other people help they should make their own mules and do the same thing im doing. why dont u get it?
Right, but then how do we know that you are gonna use them all for yourself, instead of distributing them?
 

bammargera

Member
Jul 24, 2005
232
0
103
5Ws said:
Right, but then how do we know that you are gonna use them all for yourself, instead of distributing them?
i dont need any items. im not a scammer, OK? i have good items and dont need anymore, i swear. so do u trust me?
 

Phyrexial

Member
Jun 23, 2003
2,047
0
165
forums.diabloii.net
bammargera said:
i dont need any items. im not a scammer, OK? i have good items and dont need anymore, i swear. so do u trust me?
Again, not to sound accusing or anything but saying you aren't a scammer and expecting us to take your word for it generally doesn't work. If you want people to trust you, it will take time and they will watch your actions. If you went ahead and did this charity thing with only items from your own collection (no help from members) and we got positive feedback from people that benefited from your charity, we might be a bit more keen to helping you out. As it stands now, you haven't done anything to earn the trust of the members here. You haven't done anything to make us distrust you either, but these days it's better to be safe than sorry.

If I were you, I would just go about this by yourself maybe with some close friends of yours that you can trust. If people come back to these forums saying "Wow, that guy gave me this stuff for free. Thanks!" then we might be more inclined to help you. Actions speak louder than words anyone?
 

Dawnmaster

Member
Apr 23, 2004
5,209
30
469
41
Belgium
Well, I agree with all replies here, we don't accuse you, but it does sound fishy for a newcomer.

On a personal note I'd like to add this:
1) I presume you are on Softcore, not Hardcore (since most people play Soft)
2) I presume you are on Nonladder, not Ladder (since it's only busy for a little time)
3) But I have no clue on what realm you're on? A lot of people on this forum are from West/East/Europe (that I know)
 

bammargera

Member
Jul 24, 2005
232
0
103
Dawnmaster said:
Well, I agree with all replies here, we don't accuse you, but it does sound fishy for a newcomer.

On a personal note I'd like to add this:
1) I presume you are on Softcore, not Hardcore (since most people play Soft)
2) I presume you are on Nonladder, not Ladder (since it's only busy for a little time)
3) But I have no clue on what realm you're on? A lot of people on this forum are from West/East/Europe (that I know)
im on west NL Sc. and i dont even have any close friends to do this with. thats why im asking here!and if you dont trust me, fine i dont care. i bet other people will! i have never scammed before and i dont intend to start now.
 

Dawnmaster

Member
Apr 23, 2004
5,209
30
469
41
Belgium
bammargera said:
im on west NL Sc. and i dont even have any close friends to do this with. thats why im asking here!and if you dont trust me, fine i dont care. i bet other people will! i have never scammed before and i dont intend to start now.

Don't take this the wrong way, but why are you so explicitally telling you are trustworthy? That is infact the reason what makes you suspicous.

Tbh, I didn't even look at this thread the wrong way, until you made your first "I don't scam" reply to it.

But it doesn't concern me from this point on, since I am a European player only. Good luck with the Charity, the only piece of advice I'll give you is this: don't try to convince people, knowingly or subconciously, of your good intentions, just show them who you are :thumbsup:
 

bammargera

Member
Jul 24, 2005
232
0
103
Dawnmaster said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but why are you so explicitally telling you are trustworthy? That is infact the reason what makes you suspicous.

Tbh, I didn't even look at this thread the wrong way, until you made your first "I don't scam" reply to it.

But it doesn't concern me from this point on, since I am a European player only. Good luck with the Charity, the only piece of advice I'll give you is this: don't try to convince people, knowingly or subconciously, of your good intentions, just show them who you are :thumbsup:
ok thanx for the advice
 

5Ws

Banned
Dec 2, 2004
1,706
0
0
36
FL
Honestly, you can't come in here with little to no post history, and expect us to instantly believe you and start dumping stuff to you, that will not happen.
On the other hand, if someone with a high post count comes, and is well known, AND that I can search his posts to see his trades/activities, then I would not hesitate to basically "share" an acc with him.
AND I still dont understand this, posted by you in Giveaway:

Bammargera6 said:
Account: Bammargera6
Realm: USWest NL

i really need some good stuff for my lvl 14 weredruid. i have crap now so it would be nice if i can get something of value

Specifically asked for something of value...this is posted on 8/12.
 
Aug 1, 2005
104
0
0
WOW okay ppl...


1) You say bam makes himself suspicious by defending himself and saying he's not a scammer... however, I think I'd be a bit more worried if someone mentioned the possible suspicion of him being a scammer and him not replying to it at all. You point out something like that and expect him to NOT reassure you its a misconception? Of course he's going to defend himself.. who wouldn't? If he said something like "w/e believe what you want" I'd be a bit more prone to think that he is a scammer, b/c .. well that's exactly what a scammer would say! It's a spiteful attitude.. granted a scammer would also say "i'm not a scammer" (duh) but so would someone who is being wrongfully accused.. and also.. by saying 'not to accuse u of anything' is simply a polite way of doing just that.. whether directly accusing or indirectly implying..its all the same

2) He specificly stated that he would appreciate donations of items that a person doesn't want or care for. So whether he does distrubute them or keep them for himself to use.. what difference does it make? Either way it is going to someone who can use it. If you would give the item away normally anyway, then what do you care?


Personally, I'm getting a sense of defamation of character. You are implying a bad rep on this person b4 even giving him a chance. I understand where you come from with the whole limited posts things, however, I think your statements could have been worded more wisely.


Last thing.. though his post in that other thread may create some what of a fishy coincidencial feel.. doesn't mean he is scamming. He is attempting to help others and at the same time, yeah maybe he needs some stuff for himself. Clearly if you donate stuff he doesn't want or need, he wouldn't keep it anyway. He didn't ask for godly gear or occys/shakos and such.. maybe just lower/mid lev items that could be helpful. He asked for things 'of value' yes.. but 'of value' can range anywhere from a pupil or a low def unique armor to anything higher up. Obviously he isn't going to want some merchant bought 49 defense armor from act 1. I think you are reading too much into what he is saying and your own instinctive non trusting thoughts are interfering with making an unbiased and fair opinion.

I just hope this kid doesn't make me look like a jackass



I MADE A FEW EDITS IF U'D LIKE TO REREAD THIS
 

bammargera

Member
Jul 24, 2005
232
0
103
FatalAquaintance said:
WOW okay ppl...


1) You say bam makes himself suspicious by defending himself and saying he's not a scammer... however, I think I'd be a bit more worried if someone mentioned the possible suspicion of him being a scammer and him not replying to it at all. You point out something like that and expect him to NOT reassure you its a misconception? Of course he's going to defend himself.. who wouldn't? If he said something like "w/e believe what you want" I'd be a bit more prone to think that he is a scammer, b/c .. well that's exactly what a scammer would say! It's a spiteful attitude.. granted a scammer would also say "i'm not a scammer" (duh) but so would someone who is being wrongfully accused.. and also.. by saying 'not to accuse u of anything' is simply a polite way of doing just that.. whether directly accusing or indirectly implying..its all the same

2) He specificly stated that he would appreciate donations of items that a person doesn't want or care for. So whether he does distrubute them or keep them for himself to use.. what difference does it make? Either way it is going to someone who can use it. If you would give the item away normally anyway, then what do you care?


Personally, I'm getting a sense of defamation of character. You are implying a bad rep on this person b4 even giving him a chance. I understand where you come from with the whole limited posts things, however, I think your statements could have been worded more wisely.


Last thing.. though his post in that other thread may create some what of a fishy coincidencial feel.. doesn't mean he is scamming. He is attempting to help others and at the same time, yeah maybe he needs some stuff for himself. Clearly if you donate stuff he doesn't want or need, he wouldn't keep it anyway. He didn't ask for godly gear or occys/shakos and such.. maybe just lower/mid lev items that could be helpful.

I just hope this kid doesn't make me look like a jackass
LOL thanks man for helping defend me in 2 of my threads.