• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Cant connect to Battle.net

ElKapitan

Aug 5, 2005
London
Cant connect to Battle.net

im uber nrew to all this diablo stuff so im terribly sorry if i'm being a really stupid noob/newb BUT i just cant connect to battle.net, i cant even join a network game and can only host. i was wondering if the problem was the game, my ISP or some idiotic action of mine. obviously my firewall has allowed diablo2.exe and the game.exe full server access but it just doesnt work!!

i'm getting rather exhasperated only being able to host and not join LAN games as my connection isn't that great. any help is greatly appreciated and any information required will be duly given

sorry for the vagueness of this post i'm just really new to the game and a bit of a technophobe!

mhl12

Jul 3, 2004
USA
take a look at my bnet connection guide in my signature for some more info. If you still can't connect, post back here.

also, you should try to be a little more discriptive of your problem as what part is the connecting stuck on. (i.e. connecting to fastest server, checking verisons, etc.)

Orphan

May 23, 2004
It sounds like it might be an issue with ports. This would explain why you can host network games, but not join.

If your have Internet Service Pack 2 (for WinXP), you'll need to either disable the firewall that came with it, or open the ports. Blizzard lists how you can do that here: http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=msi0549p

Additionally, if you have a router (ie, because of broadband connection) or your sharing the Internet through "Internet Connection Sharing" (ie, you gain access to the Internet through another computer), you'll need to open ports in relation to that too.

ElKapitan

Aug 5, 2005
London
as i said, sorry for the vagueness

at present i am trying to check whether i actually have the services packages 2 as i cant seem to find the 'My Network Places' listed under the troubleshooting guide

the main problem i have is connecting to B.net full stop

thank u both for ur helpful posts and for taking time to help out a newb, i know a lot of forums where this sort of thig would be shot down and flammed

ill let u know how i get on

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
Aug 17, 2003
Hamburg, Germany
Service pack 2 only applies to Windows XP. I assume you use that OS.

Start the Internet Explorer and select Windows update from the Extras menu. Wait a little and click on Custom Updates or something like that. If there are no updates to be made, you have installed service pack 2.

In that case, select Firewall from the control panel and disable it entirely. Then retry.

I'm not sure about details because I have good old Win98 here at home while only my computer at work has WinXP - and I'm on vacation atm :)

Orphan

May 23, 2004
krischan said:
Service pack 2 only applies to Windows XP. I assume you use that OS.

Start the Internet Explorer and select Windows update from the Extras menu. Wait a little and click on Custom Updates or something like that. If there are no updates to be made, you have installed service pack 2.

Additionally, I believe you can go to the "Start" button --> "Settings" --> "Control Panel" --> "Add/Remove Programs" and if there's an entry in there called something like "SP2", then service pack 2 is installed.

ElKapitan, do you have broadband or dialup for your Internet connection?

ElKapitan

Aug 5, 2005
London
sorry for the late replies and the such

i have a 500k odd broadband connection

as a slight update i downloaded the 'battle.net registration' pack from blizzard that resests the registry details (or some such business) and that hsa now enabled me to log onto battle.net (wohoo)

sadly, i am still unable to connect or join a LAN game (boooo!!). therefore, i was wondering if i could continue to leech from your superior knowledge and ask if anyone had any ideas as to the cause of this? i'm hoping the fact i solved my battle net problems with a simple d/l will make this as painless

sorry to keep wasting ur time and i am ery grateful :thumbsup:

mhl12

Jul 3, 2004
USA
iirc, d2 does not support LAN games. You have to connect directly through the host's IP.

ElKapitan

Aug 5, 2005
London
yeah, i try to connect using their IP but it just wont connect, i always have to host and, seeing as i dont have the best connection, it isn't the most viable or agreeable option

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
Aug 17, 2003
Hamburg, Germany
mhl12 said:
iirc, d2 does not support LAN games. You have to connect directly through the host's IP.
I ask myself what you mean with "doesn't support LAN games". When connecting to a friend's computer, it doesn't matter if it's in a LAN or outside of it (i.e. reachable via the internet).