• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

buying items off the internet

pitcike

Member
Jul 28, 2005
182
0
86
33
Paris, France
personnaly, i dont buy items from the internet for games ( like d2 )
i think its erasing progressivly the border between real and virtual life
but if some ppl r ready to do it, ill sell them with a nice smile ^^
i started selling my Hell Fires on sites, and it might be a prosperous business.
we ll see :lol: :thumbsup:
 
I don't see any problem with it, as long as it's done within reason. I've bought some items, just to avoid the frustration of trying to trade on bnet. It's much more enjoyable to just pay $1 for that rune and finish the runeword than to spend hours looking for the right trader. I've probably recieved a better cost/enjoyment time ratio with diablo items than any other item in my entertainment budget.

On the other hand, the people who spend hundreds of dollars on stuff are completely insane.
 

pitcike

Member
Jul 28, 2005
182
0
86
33
Paris, France
Peregrine said:
I don't see any problem with it, as long as it's done within reason. I've bought some items, just to avoid the frustration of trying to trade on bnet. It's much more enjoyable to just pay $1 for that rune and finish the runeword than to spend hours looking for the right trader. I've probably recieved a better cost/enjoyment time ratio with diablo items than any other item in my entertainment budget.

On the other hand, the people who spend hundreds of dollars on stuff are completely insane.
u think such ppl exist ?
i thought "reason" would keep u from buying for more than like 50$... :lol:
 
pitcike said:
u think such ppl exist ?
i thought "reason" would keep u from buying for more than like 50$... :lol:

Take a look at ebay or those item sites sometime. Someone bought torches in the first days after 1.11 for $80+. And someone must be buying those $100 Tyrael's Mights if the item sites keep them at that price.
 

Omikron8

Member
Jun 28, 2003
8,171
0
165
Would you spend your hard earned money on a movie which is just a projection of light and leaves you with nothing afterwards ?

I don't agree with item shops myself because they fuel duping but the above pixel excuse doesn't work
 

VeloxMortis

Member
Jul 15, 2005
21
0
5
Downey, CA
The pricing for items at the beginning of this ladder are simply insane :lol:
Ive purchased items for hardcore in .09 you could get great deals for whole mules. I dont see any point in putting out the bucks in the long run tho.
 

Taft12

Member
Oct 30, 2003
475
0
98
Ontario, Canada
More than anything I hate the spamming their bots do on BNet. That reason alone ensures I'd never patronize a D2 item store (well that and my self respect)
 

marshaldwm2

Member
Jun 23, 2003
258
0
42
Visit site
I have bought a single item on Ebay, a Buriza for 75 cents back in 1.09 or so. Just could not find the thing and most traders are not worth dealing with.

Was it worth the 75 cents? Sure. Would I do it again? Probably not.
 

bipolar

Member
Jul 7, 2003
250
0
57
MoonUnit said:
I think they have too much money lol I wouldn't spend my hard-earned money on PIXELS!! :lol:
But you spent $40+ on a bunch of 1s and 0s whose purpose is to draw pixels on your screen.

What it comes down to is this. Time *is* money. If I work 40 hours in a week at, say, $25 per hour, that comes out to $1000/week. Now let's compare working one more hour. At overtime rate of $37.50, that means after taxes I have an extra ~$28 on my paycheck, which at going rates can buy about 7 high runes. Now if I had spent that hour magic finding, there is no way on god's green earth I would have found 1 high rune, let alone 7. Therefore, it is a much better use of my time, if I want to have godly items, to work that one extra hour and use the money for items.

To put it another way, if I decide *not* to work that one hour of overtime this week so that I can play Diablo II instead, I just cost myself ~$28. So one way or another, Diablo II does cost me money, as I could work instead of play and have a bigger paycheck.

The upshot is that it is more time and cost efficient to work a few extra hours and buy any items I desire than to spend countless hours trying to randomly find them.

Of course, this only applies to career-type jobs. If you're working part time at Micky Ds while going to high school, or are living paycheck-to-paycheck, you shouldn't be spending that money on items. Heck, you shouldn't be playing Diablo II -- you should spend time looking for a better job or getting a college education so you can make more money.
 

AnimeCraze

Member
Jul 13, 2005
8,513
0
120
Vancouver
It's more about enjoyment than money. Everyone has a different value of the word "fun". If you believe that having godly items is fun, then do it. Otherwise, don't. Personally, I enjoy gaining my wealth my playing in game a lot more than buying items off eBay, though.
 

Phyrexial

Member
Jun 23, 2003
2,047
0
165
forums.diabloii.net
@bipolar: While that would be a good justification if the items being sold were obtained through legit means, it fails in the case of D2. The problem is that those item shops use the money you give them to further fund things like bot development and duping. They have to get their items somewhere and the amount that they are selling simply cannot be had through legitimate means and you know it. When people buy items at item shops, they are putting money into the pockets of dupers and hack/bot developers.

Don't confuse this with the actual use of dupes, while you could make an argument linking the use of dupes to the continuing production of dupes (trust me, I have on many occassions) generally the use of dupes simply increases the acceptance but doesn't give money to the offenders like item shops do.

There are also of course the arguments about "fair play" concerning the competition between people that have money to spend on the game and those that don't. Many non-ebayers would tell you that it isn't fair that someone should be able to get what took them a week to a month to get in a matter of minutes. I sympathize with them and I personally would prefer that no items would ever be made available for cash due to the fairness issues.
 

carnivore

Member
Aug 2, 2005
506
0
120
bremen, germany
this has probably mentioned before, but: is it legal or doesnt blizz just care?

after all its a business with virtual property of blizzard (as stated in the eula).
 
Jul 27, 2005
189
0
0
i ebayed calculator anatomy book nursing book physiology book statistic book
philosophy book. and it cost me round $400 and i sold it to buyback books on my school and i got back bout $200 which means that i technically bought all the books for half the price.

how bout d2?
i always find loopholes on obtaining items... (cubing trading creating gcs collecting 4pgems. and with the keys involved i just sell body parts for enigma/lifer gcs and help a friend to get enigmas for the chars.)

ebay d2 items? why would i spend my real money for fake electrons that produces pixels in my computer screen?
 

Phyrexial

Member
Jun 23, 2003
2,047
0
165
forums.diabloii.net
carnivore said:
this has probably mentioned before, but: is it legal or doesnt blizz just care?

after all its a business with virtual property of blizzard (as stated in the eula).
It isn't legal, most item shops get around it using a minor loophole and fancy wording. Their excuse is that you aren't actually buying the item, rather you are paying the item shop for the time it took to find them. Kinda like a farmer saying you aren't actually paying for the goods you buy, you are paying the farmer for his time. They are simply splitting hairs to cheat the system.
 

bipolar

Member
Jul 7, 2003
250
0
57
Phyrexial said:
@bipolar: While that would be a good justification if the items being sold were obtained through legit means, it fails in the case of D2. The problem is that those item shops use the money you give them to further fund things like bot development and duping. They have to get their items somewhere and the amount that they are selling simply cannot be had through legitimate means and you know it. When people buy items at item shops, they are putting money into the pockets of dupers and hack/bot developers.

Don't confuse this with the actual use of dupes, while you could make an argument linking the use of dupes to the continuing production of dupes (trust me, I have on many occassions) generally the use of dupes simply increases the acceptance but doesn't give money to the offenders like item shops do.

There are also of course the arguments about "fair play" concerning the competition between people that have money to spend on the game and those that don't. Many non-ebayers would tell you that it isn't fair that someone should be able to get what took them a week to a month to get in a matter of minutes. I sympathize with them and I personally would prefer that no items would ever be made available for cash due to the fairness issues.

The person I buy from claims to be 100% legit. Of course, I have no way of knowing for certain, but I suspect him to be telling the truth, due to the following:
1) No item I have bought from him has ever poofed.
2) He was not banned this week; hence, no mh (as he himself states on his webpage). Certainly if someone was a duper, they would have no hesitation about using MH as well.

My suspicion is that there are a number of people involved in his operation, which probably operates via mass hell forge runs and cubing up from there.

As to the fairness issue ... well, life isn't fair. Person A may have to work two jobs to afford rent + school tuition or what not, and so only has 5 hours/week to play Diablo II. This would certainly put them at a disadvantage to Person B, a 15 year old who gets $30/week allowance from his parents and is allowed to spend 40 hours per week running Hell Baal. How could one make it "fair" for all players, unless b.net said everyone could only play as many hours as the person who played the least ... a solution I'm sure no one is interested in implementing.

Life isn't fair ... never has been, never will be.
 

MoonUnit

Member
Jul 21, 2004
923
0
165
Phoenix, AZ
bipolar said:
But you spent $40+ on a bunch of 1s and 0s whose purpose is to draw pixels on your screen.

What it comes down to is this. Time *is* money. If I work 40 hours in a week at, say, $25 per hour, that comes out to $1000/week. Now let's compare working one more hour. At overtime rate of $37.50, that means after taxes I have an extra ~$28 on my paycheck, which at going rates can buy about 7 high runes. Now if I had spent that hour magic finding, there is no way on god's green earth I would have found 1 high rune, let alone 7. Therefore, it is a much better use of my time, if I want to have godly items, to work that one extra hour and use the money for items.

To put it another way, if I decide *not* to work that one hour of overtime this week so that I can play Diablo II instead, I just cost myself ~$28. So one way or another, Diablo II does cost me money, as I could work instead of play and have a bigger paycheck.

The upshot is that it is more time and cost efficient to work a few extra hours and buy any items I desire than to spend countless hours trying to randomly find them.

Of course, this only applies to career-type jobs. If you're working part time at Micky Ds while going to high school, or are living paycheck-to-paycheck, you shouldn't be spending that money on items. Heck, you shouldn't be playing Diablo II -- you should spend time looking for a better job or getting a college education so you can make more money.

That sounds like a flame to me. If you think about it, You payed 40 bucks for the game, enjoy it as its supposed to be played. Why bother getting ebayed items...make a char the ultimate char without the EFFORT is no fun :rolleyes:
 

xrance

Member
Aug 2, 2005
93
0
78
i bought a few items, i just started up, and with school and work, take way to long to get the items back, way to long. Back in the day i had everything legit too...then bliz came along....grrrr. so now im legit and got some godly items. Its fun if u have money to spend. but not to much i wouldnt spend more then 100 on items for a few characters. Just sword and a armor is all i buy.