• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Build Idea/ Suggestions

Crudesash68

Jun 25, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Visit site
Build Idea/ Suggestions

I found a Grim's Burning Dead a few days ago and it made me think about a meleemancer build. I have been reviewing my items and going over skills, and here is what I had come up with, any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Gear:
Helm: I figured I would go from Tarnhelm to Peasant Crown to Vamp Gaze, and maybe to Andy's Visage if/when I get that high; I love the mods but at level 83, you pretty much have your style figured out without it. If I use skellies I may use Undead Crown also.

Armor: Tossup between Guardian Angel and Shaftstop; if I use the Undead Crown, it almost begs the Shaftstop, but the possibility of 90% to resists is tempting...my question there is how will I ever reach a high enough level to hit the 90%?

Belt: String of Ears till Act III Hell Jungles, then T-Gods.

Gloves: Soul Drainer was my first choice, and if I do a lot of players 8, I should be able to equip it before NM Baal. I'd probably craft Blood Gloves to use until that point.

Boots: Even without the bug, I'd probably use Marrowalk. Aldurs/Nats are also very good, and depending on my other resists, I may use those.

Jewelry: Raven Frost, so I don't need cold skill charms, or need to worry about CR; probably a rare ring for the other slot. For the Ammy, Telling of Beads or Rising Sun, but I might use the Angelic Ring/Ammy if I have AR issues.

Weapons: Here is the most important choice, I think. I had gone in thinking about the Grim's scythe, and possibly upgrading it, when I remembered The Ribcracker. Much better mods, and when upgraded, the damage is sweet. I can't see many monsters being difficult with 50% CB, plus amp, plus the Might aura from the merc. On switch, I figured I would use the Demon Limb for the Enchant bonus.

Charms: As many resistance charms as I can find, and my one lonely Necro skiller. Poison charms if I dont have a PMH mod on any of my gear.

Merc: Might merc, naturally. If I find another Um rune, I will make Crescent Moon, if not I will use Bonehew, with Amn/Shael. He'll likely get a Guillames and the Armor I don't use, but if he is surviving well, I may just use an MF armor for him.

Skills: Well, I had thought about using Poison Nova, but discarded it; Amp+weapon +CE seems to be a better strategy to me, which would allow me points to create an army to battle with, or max out Bone Armor. Likely I will go that route, unless their is a compelling reason to use skellies. So my skills should look like this:

20 Bone Armor
10-20 Clay Golem
10-20 Golem Mastery
5-10 Summon Resist
1-5 Corpse Explosion
1 to all Curses and Prereqs

That would complete the build at level 74 (counting all skill quests); I would add remaining points to synergize Bone Armor.

Stats: No Energy or Dex, I'd like to hit 150 Strength, and the rest into Vitality; that would be ~300 Vitality points, which yields a sad return, unfortunately. I could go Shield and a 1H weapon, Max Block instead; if so, the 1H weapons I have that would be most useful are :
Demon Limb
Nord's Tenderizer
Bloodmoon
Razor's Edge
Baranar's Star

Well, I hope that wasn't too long-winded; any comments or suggestions will be appreciated, thanks.

Steve

Crudesash68

Jun 25, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Visit site
necrolemming said:
Nay on the GA. You'll have trouble even hitting 75/75/75/75 in hell, let alone 90/90/90/90, and you won't have block.

Why Soul Drainers? If you need LL, Lifetap is your castable friend.

Don't max Bone Armor. Each pt in BA gives +10 damage protection, each pt in a synergy gives +15.

IK Boots give +AR and Gores give CB/DS/OW.

1. That's what I figured-Shaftstop, then.
2. Well, they are the best gloves I have, but I forgot about Life Tap...never actually used it. I could then use LoH, which also adds a nifty 50% FR.
3. Ah...sort of like Double Throw-you get more points from the synergies.
4. I don't have Gores, but I will take a look at IK boots, thanks.

Thanks again!

Steve

corax

Jan 11, 2004
australia
you'll struggle for res. mine had CoH and was struggling to crack postivie digits.

best weapon for a meleemancer... big 2 handed king slayer axe OR you wont believe this, reapers toll(for your merc atleast. on switch for you is good. saves alot of effort with decrep when you only need to cast it at the start of battle( to stop you getting pounded before the weapon triggers it)

Crudesash68

Jun 25, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Visit site
corax said:
you'll struggle for res. mine had CoH and was struggling to crack postivie digits.

best weapon for a meleemancer... big 2 handed king slayer axe OR you wont believe this, reapers toll(for your merc atleast. on switch for you is good. saves alot of effort with decrep when you only need to cast it at the start of battle( to stop you getting pounded before the weapon triggers it)

Kingslayer is sweet...but I lack the Um/Gul for it. I don't have a Reaper's Toll, ATM, but I will certainly try it if I can get it, thanks.

Now I just have to play the darn thing...

Steve

corax

Jan 11, 2004
australia
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmgul...tehehe

i could probably dig around in my atma stashes tomoro for a reapers and those runes. i have a kingslayer cryptic sword but a necro really needs a big 2 hander

Day

Jun 16, 2004
I think 1 handed and shield is better for survivability - more resits, blocking extra mods but 2 handed is just so much cooler :lol:

I think a meleemancer is a challangeing build so the mere fact you are thinking of it shows you want something stylish and difficult! :thumbsup:

I think because of the poor return on stats to hit points items which add hits could be very good - Lionheart gives a big boost (plus all the other goodies it has). Also maybe Shako? These two would add a lot of life.

With Vampire gaze/shako and String of Ears you'd have decent reduced damage and then just swap to TGods only when you need it i.e. vs glooms and burning sols etc - so maybe dump Shaftstop for Lionheart?

Not sure all curses are needed? Probably wouldn't bother with lower resist at least?

How do you deal with iron maiden (something to throw or a bow maybe)?

If you don't use Ribcraker - and don't have Gores you need CB. Goblin Toe is ok as just 10% of crafted gloves (max) is not a lot - also frees up your glove slot again. Think the upped rib cracker is best but style points go to Reapers.

The skill charm - could be dumped and get more life/resits. Your not short of points?

Also suggest you add some FHR as well! Charms and maybe stick a Shael in your helm?

Demon limb is great but maybe keep it in your stash/cube and put a head and wand on switch to buff your Golem/BA?

Porius

Jul 7, 2003
Des Moines, Ia
Visit site
You'll want lower resist if you stick with Grim's, just for those critters that you do more fire damage than physical. Just one point would do it, though, IMO.

I don't know about the base dex thing, though. Scythes have a dex minimum, don't they? Can you meet that with your other gear?

Just wondering...

Porius

essojay

Jun 26, 2004
NH
I wouldn't use reaper's toll. I don't know, I just think the ctc decrep would be a waste on a necro.

For armor I'd recommend duress if you can spare the um because it has nice resists as well as FHR, open wounds and crushing blow.

Full IK set except the helm could work.

If you're on RWM also consider Oath and Obedience.

Here are the mods for Oath (Shael - Pul - Mal - Lum preferably in a 2handed axe)
30% Chance To Cast Level 20 Bone Spirit On Striking
Indestructible
+50% Increased Attack Speed
+210-340% Enhanced Damage (varies)
+75% Damage To Demons
+100 To Attack Rating Against Demons
Prevent Monster Heal
+10 To Energy
+10-15 Magic Absorb (varies)
Level 16 Heart Of Wolverine (20 Charges)
Level 17 Iron Golem (14 Charges)

Aside from the nice ED, IAS, indestructibility (put this in an eth weap) and PMH, notice how the points you put in Bone Wall and Bone Prison also synergize the ctc bone spirit, which should go off pretty often.

Mods for Obedience:
30% Chance To Cast Level 21 Enchant When You Kill An Enemy
40% Faster Hit Recovery
+370% Enhanced Damage
-25% Target Defense
Adds 3-14 Cold Damage
-25% To Enemy Fire Resistance
40% Chance of Crushing Blow
+200-300 Defense (varies)
+10 To Strength
+10 To Dexterity
All Resistances +20-30 (varies)
Requirements -20%

Obedience is cheaper than Oath and also gives you very nice mods such as FHR, CB and all resistances. -% target defense and ctc enchant effectively removes any AR problems you might have.