• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

BNet needs a new anti-bot system

CantConnect

Aug 10, 2005
BNet needs a new anti-bot system

The current one sucks. badly. I have no idea what BNet uses but I'm IP banned right now for probably the 3rd time, no hacks/bots/abuses/anything. The first time I got it was during meph runs, then today I was looking through hell baals, and since most people die within seconds right now, I rejoined several games in a short period of time. I'm already a little pissed then I get disconnected and get the message "you are temporarily blocked from this server." I have already lost 20+ ranks on ladder. I came back to D2 because I had some good memories but now I'm starting to remember why I left, fix your anti-bot system please.

CantConnect

Aug 10, 2005
Um okay, what would you say if you power went out, and you called PG&E and the guy there says "deal with it."

If something is broken it should be fixed, that's one of the most basic chains of logic in existance

mhl12

Jul 3, 2004
USA
try to look at it this way. Blizzard comes up with a new anti-bot system that gets rid a good number of the bots out there. The next day, a new bot comes out that bypasses this system. Same deal.

Saulot

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
CantConnect said:
Um okay, what would you say if you power went out, and you called PG&E and the guy there says "deal with it."

If something is broken it should be fixed, that's one of the most basic chains of logic in existance

If online D2 was a pay service, then this would be fair, but it is a free service, so we have to take what we get.

Angel_Dusted

Aug 29, 2004
Israel
Saulot said:
If online D2 was a pay service, then this would be fair, but it is a free service, so we have to take what we get.

Wow, the new ladder season seems to have created an influx of *deleted* in DII.net. Anways, to the OPs question/comment - Realm downs are a pain, but can be avoided. You'll just need to make sure that A) You take a decent amount of time to switch chars/make(join) games and that B) You disable all memory-intensive background applications

Don't bypass the word filter, you won't like it when I hit you with the modstick,

Aragorn

Trojan Man

May 1, 2005
thats definitly gunna be a pain in the *** when im transfering alot of stuff to mules and such.Also people can/will get around that with there bots.

djmilhaus

Jun 22, 2003
Washington state/US East SCL
The problem Blizzard faces, particularly being it's not a pay server, is that it has only a finite number of people working on Diablo 2 any more. How many people still play the game? 10's of thousands... how many of them can program some simple scripts? Probably several hundred. So you have a handful (if we're lucky, but probably one) of folks working with the realms to try to stop a couple hundred programmers that are always going to try to find a way around whatever system exists?

I'm not saying ignore it, as I agree, it needs some twinking, just realize the uphill battle they continually have to face. If only they could get the FBI involved to track the people writing the scripts and sue them out of commission... particularly the jerks that CHARGE for their bots and hacks.

/rant

Saulot

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
Angel_Dusted said:
Wow, the new ladder season seems to have created an influx of arseholes in DII.net.

Did I come across that badly? Sorry that really wasn't my intention. I was only trying to say that it isn't fair to expect Blizzard to put the same level of support into Battle.net as a power company would put into electricity, because one company is continually making money off of it, while the other offers the service for free. Is that unreasonable?

Myrakh-2

Jun 23, 2004
flyff.cable.nu
mhl12 said:
try to look at it this way. Blizzard comes up with a new anti-bot system that gets rid a good number of the bots out there. The next day, a new bot comes out that bypasses this system. Same deal.

Actually, the whole thing just shows how little Blizzard knows about computers and games. You cannot prevent bots in a system like D2 --- there is WAY too much information available in the client, making it a piece of cake to create a bot.

Now, the problem with the "realm down" crap is that it doesn't harm bots --- bots have no problems sitting around for a few minutes doing nothing. They don't loose patience, they aren't getting bored.

Blizzard doesn't harm bots, they only harm people.

EDIT: think about "realm down", mules, non-tradeable/scammable items, poofing (which punishes the victims) --- the players aren't the *deleted* in D2, it's Blizzard.

MickRaider

Banned
Aug 3, 2005
Myrakh-2 said:
The intention isn't to harm the bots, it's to slow them down.

Say you just leave the bot running overnight, after 5 runs it gets banned for a half hour. True the bot won't care but that's about 30 runs it's missing out on. Then when it gets back on does another 5 runs and it gets banned for 2 hours this time, that's 120 runs. Continue till run count =25 and ban time =6 hours.

Seems pretty effective to me. People just need to be more patient between games, get a soda, have a chat with a friend, etc.

CantConnect

Aug 10, 2005
Okay I woke up this morning and I am still "temporarily blocked." That comes to a total of 14+ hours on the second day of a new ladder release. You can check my rank "Lynbrook" on uswest, before I got kicked off I was top 30 overall, now I'm probably unranked or something. GJ BNet, thanks for kicking me out of the ladder race for no reason.

triple_ultima

Jun 23, 2003
Myrakh-2 said:
Actually, the whole thing just shows how little Blizzard knows about computers and games. You cannot prevent bots in a system like D2 --- there is WAY too much information available in the client, making it a piece of cake to create a bot.

Now, the problem with the "realm down" crap is that it doesn't harm bots --- bots have no problems sitting around for a few minutes doing nothing. They don't loose patience, they aren't getting bored.

EDIT: think about "realm down", mules, non-tradeable/scammable items, poofing (which punishes the victims) --- the players aren't the assholes in D2, it's Blizzard.

I am getting really tired of all the "Blizzard sucks" crap posts. They still support a 5 year old game by releasing a patch (with new content, no less), and they provide absolutely free online multiplayer servers. Their obligation to the Diablo II player base ran out long ago, yet they remain faithful by releasing a new patch, resetting the ladder, and continuing support, not to mention fighting a losing battle by trying to keep the game hack/exploit free. I think they're an outstanding company for that.

Ismalia

Jul 18, 2005
East Coast, USA
CantConnect said:
Okay I woke up this morning and I am still "temporarily blocked." That comes to a total of 14+ hours on the second day of a new ladder release. You can check my rank "Lynbrook" on uswest, before I got kicked off I was top 30 overall, now I'm probably unranked or something. GJ BNet, thanks for kicking me out of the ladder race for no reason.

Have you contacted blizzard support? Are you on a local area network with a shared IP? (If my brothers did something on a site to ban them by IP, I would be banned as well)

What kind of runs were you doing? I've been temp blocked before but that could have been any reason as it was a connection block.

But most importantly, have you contacted blizz support?

jumpman8828

May 15, 2004
MickRaider said:
The intention isn't to harm the bots, it's to slow them down.

Say you just leave the bot running overnight, after 5 runs it gets banned for a half hour. True the bot won't care but that's about 30 runs it's missing out on. Then when it gets back on does another 5 runs and it gets banned for 2 hours this time, that's 120 runs. Continue till run count =25 and ban time =6 hours.

Seems pretty effective to me. People just need to be more patient between games, get a soda, have a chat with a friend, etc.

The problem is that bots can be scripted to avoid making games right after the last one, and avoid R/D's with ease. I know people who run bots for 12 hours a day with a R/D. It seems to affect the regular people more than bots. I'm not really complaining though, I know Blizz is just trying to do what they can and it isn't their fault the bots pretty much can't be stopped.

What I do to avoid R/D's is just type something in the chat between every game. I'm not sure if that actually does anything per se, but I was able to make like 150 pindle runs in a row without ever getting a R/D. Each game lasted like 30 seconds, and after each I'd just type something in the chat and make a new one. Now I do that after every game out of habit, and its "working" pretty effectively (in other words, it could just be luck but who knows).

Nov 18, 2004
MD, USA
Why do so many people assume that "Realm Down" was created to stop bots? I think Blizzard understood the impossibility of that task. The main purpose of "Realm Down" was to ease server strain and return battle.net to the quick responding system it used to be. Anyone who was playing shortly before they implemented the restrictions can attest to how much of a pain it was to play D2 with 20 minute waits to create games and constant lagging out. Nowadays, that's no longer a problem.

Oscuro

Oct 6, 2003
Visit site
thegiantturtle said:
Anyone who was playing shortly before they implemented the restrictions can attest to how much of a pain it was to play D2 with 20 minute waits to create games and constant lagging out. Nowadays, that's no longer a problem.
Yeah, that's true. It's been a while since I've seen this.

And that wait wasn't even that bad compared to sometimes.