• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Better than an IK WW Barb?

Speedwrath

Banned
Apr 25, 2005
Portugal
Better than an IK WW Barb?

OK I'm a Whirlwind Barbarian (with Berserk) using the Immortal King set. It's a damn good set, given that I'm able to do the whole game with it. The only other character I've been able to do this with also was my Summoner Necromancer with Trang-Oul, but that was too slow for me. This Barbarian let's me do it much faster. I can even help people do Hell Ancients! :D

But I hear out there that the Immortal King set is weak. My friend laughed when I said it was my strongest PvM character. I half ignored him since all he plays with is PvP with a Faith Bowazon. But then I heard it from other people too, and it got me wondering: What's a better set-up for a Whirlwind Barbarian than the Immortal King set?

For it to be better, it will have to let me do all areas, but also do more damage, and hopefully let me survive just as much. I currently do 4.4k average damage with my Barbarian, and have almost 3000 life with my cries. I wear two Ravenfrost and a Metalgrid because AR is EVERYTHING for WW.

Can anyone suggest a gear that would be better than my current one please?
More damage, higher defence and greater AR is what I'm aiming for. After all, they DID call IK a "weak" set.

kingkoala

Banned
Jun 29, 2005
US East
Hey there...

My first char on expansion about 2 months ago was an IK barb. I thought I was elite with my 4.5k damage and 3.5k life but then people started making fun of me too. So I did lots of hell Mephisto runs and accumulated some items and eventually started trading up. I traded for a low 359% ebotd Thundermaul (around 250 to 1200+ damage). Simply by using this maul and the rest of my equip (the other IK items, 2 ravenfrost, highlords ammy), my max damage went from 4.5k to around 10k. Since you already have maxed maul mastery, I really recommend you try to get either this ebotd Thundermaul or an Ogre maul. Ogre maul's are probably better since their min damage is much higher. It would cost maybe 2 high runes for a low % one of these (at least on ladder it did, could be more NL). I would also recommend a Highlords ammy over the Metalgrid.

After I made my IK barb I realized that Mauls really aren't that good. They're range is so low therefore you don't hit that many enemies per whirl and also they totally suck at PvP. I am now in the process of making my axe/shield barb. Other great options if you're not too much into PvP is a ebotd War Pike or Great Poleaxe barb. I think War Pike is the coolest as there's barely any spear barbs out there and the range is insane... it's also very underrated for PvP because of this range, and does massive damage. Good luck...

phunkey

Aug 2, 2005
sweden
I do around 4.3k-17k with my barb wearing forti and ebotd thunder maul. I have no problem solo in baal. I have tried solo with full game and there wasnt a problem to do baal.

but this barb isnt good in pvp.

Halciet

Jun 26, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
Visit site
Look at the whirlwind guides in the guide thread to see what the best items are for that type of barb. IK set is a nice, cheap set that will take you a long way, but your friend is right, it is quite weak.

-Hal

dkay

Jul 31, 2003
HB, California
for pvm it is solid. but for pvp it is unfortunetely weak due to the lack of dr and other factors (such as no shield, if you had teleport with no shield it would be ok but you cant even teleport) ;/

maybe turn your barb into an mf barb then start trading with what you find. hopefully you can work yourway up the r/w ladder.

Speedwrath

Banned
Apr 25, 2005
Portugal
BotD...

GAH! That will be the day... ^_^ Thanks for the help guys. 10k damage... WOWA! Compared to that, IK is a pretty weak set for WW Barbarians. But I guess I'll have to settle with it for now. BotD will take me like 3 more months of MFing and Hellforging, I expect.

And I'm not THAT bad at PvP, even though I'm not a PvP Barb. There aren't many players out there that can stand my Berserk, especially Sorcs. Plus, with 2 Ravenfrosts, Druids aren't really a challenge.