• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

best type of ladder pally

Aug 3, 2005
best type of ladder pally

since good items are hard to come by, im not looking for kinds that need uber equips but i need something that would be quite effective in hell

i was going for a zealot or a frost zealot but then i think hammerdins would do much better regarding later on in the game when there are more immunes and monsters get stronger and take longer to kill melee

what kind of pally would you guys recommend?

xtntx

Jul 28, 2005
Canada
Pallys are really tough to build powerful only because u need rich stuff. They are the big time tankers. I'd go for hammerdins but u should just try out different types. see which one u have fun with the most.

;)

Nimbostratus

Jul 30, 2005
New Jersey, USA
If your main concern is immunes or you just don't like hammerdins, you could go with an avenger (vengeance with conviction aura). They do 4 kinds of damage per hit, so you'll never find anything completely immune to your attacks (and conviction can also break some immunes). Avengers are also great to have in a game with several sorceress users :D

Fluffballer

May 4, 2005
Paladins THE easiest untwinked builds out there. NOTHING else compares. No one else does 1000 damage with their bare fists. No one else has no immunitites (almost) what-so-ever.

They got their reputation from (I hate this word) godly equipment. No. You can't go wrong with a pally.

I used to run all of hell WSK and hell Baal with a (by runeword standards, 100% unequiped) hammerdin while using cleansing or sanctuary just to keep the merc alive. WSK is never "safe" but paladins make it feels as much like home as possible.

carnivore

Aug 2, 2005
bremen, germany
hammerdins are probably the best. after a while of playing you should be able to get a spirit weapon and shield (paladin-shield with resists would be best), stealth armor and some +skill amu, that should be enough to farm the usual places in (early) hell.

Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
hammerdins and avengers are pretty idiot proof even with bad gear. both will make you a party favorite because of the auras used. smiters and zealers cost more to be effective.

Bloodfire

May 25, 2005
UK
At the moment my main character on ladder is a frostzealot... he's doing really well but for those cold immunes that I know are coming I've put one point into vengence and I'm pumping salvation. Salvation not only boosts vengence (without raising the mana cost) but also boosts my holy freeze arua :)

letosan

Aug 2, 2005
Missouri
I personally prefer a straight up zealot. Fant and Zeal. I usually use an act 2 def merc from normal for the boost in defense, plus a 75% block rate via 5-10 in Holy Shield. Either way, I get in, get mean, kill them all.

The thing I like about this is that pallys are built for surviabability, as they have said. Auras can be used with even 1 point in them for specific situations. Sanctuary can actually kill phys immune undead becacuse it makes your physical damage hurt them *sweet* Salvation for resists, conviction if you are partying up, cleansing for poison or curses, vigor for speed. The versitility is the key to survivability.

I am mixing it up a little this ladder. I am going to go with a frost merc from NM act 2 to see how that makes me run. I am also probably not going to max sacrifice, instead, put more in sanctuary and conciviction or something.

EDIT: oh yeah, for the traditional zealot, speed is king. Faster hitting means your damage (elemental damage specifically) is applied more often. With the fcr from fant, you can use other places to get speed rather than ias stuff.