• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Best Sorc build for poor player?

buggingbad

Banned
Jul 22, 2005
Best Sorc build for poor player?

I'd like to get some people's opinions on the best sorc build for a poor player, I'm basically just starting since 1.0.9 again...

I heard that now dual-elements are the way to go? Can i get some advice?

Evrae Altana

Aug 13, 2005
Rubby Ducky
For a poor player, I suggest making a Blizzard sorceress and use her to run Meph, Andariel, and Pindle for items. Even with cheap items, a blizzard sorc is very effective against the bosses I just mentioned. You might run into a few immunes, but a merc can dispatch them.

AnimeCraze

Jul 13, 2005
Vancouver
I would say meteorb sorc, unless you are playing party. The reason for that is for your merc to be actually able to kill stuff, you need to give him some gear. Those gears are not that easy to come by. Also, merc can't kill all that fast even with gear. For example, just get your merc to clear the viper temple. Of course, if you are playing in a party until you get to andy/meph for mf, 1 element is so much stronger. :lol:

GotFriana

Jul 13, 2005
Argentina
I had a similar experience coming back after years of not playing at all. The previous patch 1.10 changed many things on the game as I used to know it...

You will notice in your skills tree there are synergies now, that means adding points in one skill will make another skill more efficient (you can see the effects of each in the skill description). So nowadays especialization is the key. When making a sorc you have to choose one or 2 elements and from those pick the best spells (usually the higher lvl ones) and then add points only in those you ve chosen and the corresponding synergy. The general choices are: from the cold tree Frozen Orb or Blizzard; fire tree Fire Ball, Meteor; lightining tree Lightining, Chain Lightining.

Whether you choose only one element or 2 elements depends more on what you are going to use your char for, if you want a char to play in parties and also be able to solo the game then a dual element sorc is better, if you want the highest possible dmg and you will get help to complete the quests in hell difficulty, or you just want to solo certain areas or go into duels then use one element.

Personally I think the best option for someone starting totally from scratch is a dual element sorc. Finding games in b.net can be hard at times so you ll want a char that can handle almost all situations by herself and also be able to mf. I believe the best is Meteorb sorc, look in the stickies on this forum there are guides for most builds posted there.

kingwillie

Jul 28, 2004
NJ
xspeak.net
Kinda on topic,
What is better for a poorer player, Max block or Vita because the Vita exchange for sorcs aren't that good its only like 1 vit:2 life

Cranium

Aug 15, 2005
US East Softcore Ladder
I have a setup it isnt very concentrated on synergies but i use it for key runs rushing and for meph runs and she does very well when only rushin 2 ppl or when there is 2 or less she can pretty much kill anything. Otherwise u need ppl to help You dont need really good items for this char to kill stuff but when u get to hell u will have problems with light immune monsters if u dont have + skill stuff.

Battle Sorc

Painman

Jun 22, 2003
Massachusetts
Visit site
kingwillie said:
Kinda on topic,
What is better for a poorer player, Max block or Vita because the Vita exchange for sorcs aren't that good its only like 1 vit:2 life

I think Block, because you can't always count on finding gear that gives you a lot of +life, nor can you count on your merc to tank everything. Especially if his gear isn't so hot either. Rhyme shields are dirt cheap and just plain excellent for a sorc. Even a lowly bone shield will make a 60% block Rhyme.

AnimeCraze

Jul 13, 2005
Vancouver
If you are using spirit, then definitely vita, since spirit can't block at all. If you are willing to use a good block shield, then it's different.

Leohappy

Mar 26, 2005
Slovenia
I started this ladder season with Blizz sorc. In NM I did some countess runs and I created Lore, Stealth, Rhyme, Spirit sword & Insight. Used +mana rings and ammy. The rest was also rare/magical.

In Hell this sorc is really good even untwinked. Shes bad for questing so you'll need some help (bad if you're hc), but running Meph/Pindle/Mausoleum/Ancient tunnels can be done in 8pl games quite fast.

I would not recommend Meteorb sorc at all. Dual tree sorcs need more +skills to be as effective as single tree build, and you can't count on +skills.

Also I went the vita way and I use spirit monarch now (about 25% block due to +dex from raven/tal belt/charms and I have ~1250 life @ lvl **).

AnimeCraze

Jul 13, 2005
Vancouver
You can get +6 skills without too much difficulties. Spirit shield + sword, Lore helm, +1 skill ammy, add on a stealth to go over the 63% FCR for sure. I think that should be enough for a sorc to do hell with 2 elements. If spirit shield is bad, then you can always get something like lidless or sigons. Also, it depending on whether you can consistantly find games to play in. If you want to do things solo to avoid some ppl on bnet, 2 elements are unbeatable. :lol:

kingwillie

Jul 28, 2004
NJ
xspeak.net
I'm still stuck up about the vita vs block debate...

Right now I'm thinking
PvM edge: Vita
PvP edge: Block
Mf edge: Vita?

But even with the results I'm still unsure

angus

Mar 1, 2004
I like my Cl/Fo sorc doesn't need much gear, my new season one is using a spirit sword and insight on her merc most expensive part sol and amn runes lol. Which she found on nm countess runs.

Insight aura makes Cl kickass. With a point in static and Fo to finish off the bosses she is great for nm mf runs.

My season 2 sorc could do the 3 keys runs and Andy, Meph, Shenk and Eldrictch in about 4-5 minutes.

There is a good guide in this forumn too.

Jun 2, 2004
France
I personally would vote for a Meteorb :p.

My ladder sorceress is now level 79, and she has no problem at all in NM, with crap gear. She runs NM Mephisto and Andariel (don't underestimate her drops, and btw she hates my fireballs :p).

"Lore" helm : ORT+SOL, very cheap, very nice for casters.
"Wealth" armor : LEM+KO+TIR in a breast plate, and you're set for MF !
"Leaf" staff : Buy a 2-Sockets +3 Fire Ball staff (Act 1 Norm), and put TIR+RAL in it.
"Edge" bow : Buy a 3-Sockets Long Bow at Gheed (Act 1 Norm), put TIR+TAL+AMN in it, and gamble like crazy :thumbsup: ! Gloves with MF, Boots with FRW and MF, Belts with FHR and Resistances, will be your best friends. Later on, you can gamble on Rings and Amulets (NM, when you'll have enough gold).

GrumpySmurf

Dec 23, 2004
USA
I started my sorc from scratch a couple months ago - first D2 character in like two years. I don't play a whole lot, so the going wasn't as fast as it could be, and I wasn't rushed, though I do play with a coworker. I actually had two sorcs. The first one was a miserable failure with no real focus (followed a really bad build guide). The second was much better and actually wound up getting me the items I now have*.

My build (based on one from Tifa's Revenge high level guide on Gamefaqs):

20 Blizzard (max first)
20 Glacial Spike (max second)
20 Ice Blast (max third)
20 Ice Bolt (max fourth)
20 Cold Mastery (max last - I'm at ~11 now, will max at 95 if I play that long)
1 Frost Nova (prereq), Telekinesis, Teleport, Static Field, Warmth
1 Frost Armor (optional, I like it for baal and meph runs)

The 1 warmth *hurt* in the lowest levels (before ~23 and even worse after Blizzard) until I got some better mana regen and +skills things in the 30s-40s. Take lots of mana potions - I used three rows of em. Down to two now :D.

Yeah, Cold Immunes can be a problem. Minor for me as my buddy plays a conviction paladin. That was on purpose though. We just beat Hell Baal this morning :D.

Stats -
Str 100 (see below)
Dex base
Vitality everything else
Energy 75

If you have decent gear that gives mana, like Frostburn Gauntlets, energy can stay at base. I boosted mine to make the lower levels bearable but if I started anew, it would be base as I have some good stuff to twink. Depending on what you plan on wearing is what your strength should be. Str 84 is required for Tal Rasha's Gaurdianship, though there's other armors (unique/runeword) you might want instead. If you want the shield everyone talks about you need 156.

At level 86, I have 320 Vitality and about 1120 life. I don't think max block is all that if you have at least 63% faster cast rate and a decent faster hit recovery. Some people swear by block, but I'd rather use my lidless wall with a diamond for resists, FCR and skills though.

*Note that the items I have were obtained either with drops I actually got, or trades I made from the drops I got. Like, I got a skullder's ire and traded it for my tal rashas amulet, etc :D.

Here's some item ideas. I'll leave it up to you to do the research for stats and all that :p.

Helm: Lore, various rares with good mods (resists mainly)
Armor: Smoke, Stealth (recommend this for FCR and mana regen)
Gloves: Frostburn, Magefist both drop from NM pindle/shenk/eld runs decently.
Weapon: Until I found Tal Rashas I used +skill orbs.
Shield: Rhyme, Ancients Pledge, 3xsocketed shield with perfect diamonds (tower shields are easy to come by)
Boots: anything with 25%+ faster run/walk and resists. I use Rare boots with 25% run and 20% MF until I can get some war travellers.
Rings: Rare with +faster cast rate and resists, though I use nagelrings for MF.
Amulet: I was lucky to get a +2 sorc skill w/ 13 all resists early on and used that till I traded for Tal Rashas.

Keep any charms with +resists, small charms with +life and +skill tree charms.

This isn't the best build ever for soloing (except maybe MF), but if you play with other people, especially a conviction paladin, you'll get people impressed with how fast monsters drop to the blizzards.

McCain123

Jun 4, 2004
Hilden, Germany
How did I start this ladder? Well with a Blizzard Sorc for mf-ing. Very item idenpendant, good damage in 8 player games only questing is a pain due to cold immunes.
Would I make a Blizzard, if I had to start now? No. At the start of a ladder, there are no items and the few availible are expensive, so you have to mf a lot. Now you can buy everything for a few gems or runes, so mf is a waste. Build a soild sorc that can rush and keyrun and you are set. Meteorb would be me vote, as she does best damage for a cheap equipped dual element and you need that for rushing ( at least without godly merc ).