• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Attention Barbs who owned 1.11's Uber Quest

ksh938

Aug 16, 2004
Attention Barbs who owned 1.11's Uber Quest

Let me preface this by saying I am interested in only discussing PvM builds with an emphasis on being able to solo Hell (i.e. max dmg and max survivability).

So I was a pretty happy camper. As a WW Barb with the IK set, I did a good 4k+ dmg with WW and my IK Maul (my leve was in the high 80s). I killed things well and had a very strong barb. 20 in Mace Mastery, 20 in Battle Orders, 20 in WW, etc. Then came 1.11.

In short, I was frustrated with the performance of my barb in the new quest. He was strong enough, I guess, but very slow to kill the bosses. Other barbs seemed to output significantly more damage than I did.

So my question is: If you are a Barb that was able to handle 1.11's new quest easily (or relatively easily), what build did you use and what stats / eq did you have? AND how viable / effective is this build for solo Hell?

I know there are many other builds out there, but my understanding was that the IK WW Barb was up there near the top. I'm obviously wrong. I would be very interested in others' experiences and insights. Thanks!

newerest

Jan 28, 2005
Houston, Texas
netbux.org
The only thing I have against IK is no shield. With that said, IK is a very good set.

The way to kill the ubers is with lots of crushing blow, you also need a shield with maxblock to get survive easily.

The common setup that I see is this (ladder)

Grief zerker + storm shield
Angelics
Fort or enigma
verdungo's
Drac's
Gore riders
as many +life charms as you can.

ksh938

Aug 16, 2004
I don't really have a problem surviving, it was more of a matter of "killing them before I kill myself b/c my barb is so slow". There was a polearm barb who looked like he was doing 10k max dmg (according to him). But he was definitely killing faster than me.

Is it the WW build? How is Frenzy or Concentrate Barbs in terms of total dmg output? Or is it the IK eq?

bladesyz

Jul 8, 2005
Bloodraven's Tomb
Keep in mind that a large portion of the IK maul damage is elemental, something which the ubers are highly resistant to.

I also have an IK barb. His dmg is about 2.5k to 4.7k, and it takes him a long time to kill normal Baal, mainly due to mana burn. (No mana = no WW)

With 15k regen, 4k dmg isn't going to do much. Luckily, IK has crushing blow, though that alone isn't enough, I would imagine. If you use IK with concentrate, it's way to slow, unfortunately...

ksh938

Aug 16, 2004
bladesyz said:
Keep in mind that a large portion of the IK maul damage is elemental, something which the ubers are highly resistant to.

I also have an IK barb. His dmg is about 2.5k to 4.7k, and it takes him a long time to kill normal Baal, mainly due to mana burn. (No mana = no WW)

With 15k regen, 4k dmg isn't going to do much. Luckily, IK has crushing blow, though that alone isn't enough, I would imagine. If you use IK with concentrate, it's way to slow, unfortunately...

So what do you do to address this issue? Or are you ok with killing so slowly? I mean, if normal Baal takes you a while, how do you deal with NM and Hell bosses??

Ralmuski

Aug 10, 2005
Netherlands
I have a Frenzy Baba, that was getting killed pretty easilly in the uber quest (2 hits) untill i switched my uped vile husk to the Lightsabre. With the ligtning absorb Meph was less dangerous. The psysical imuun monsters Baal is summining are a pain in the ***, but They're easilly scared with howl, thus you can concentrate on hitting Baal. The other equip i used was a Sup HB Oath, a Eth Hellforge plate Prudence, Areat's, BK4, ravenfrost, gore rider and highlords. The rest IK. (belt, glove.) My merc was wearing Stone, Guillaume's face (for CB) and Eth cryptic axe Obedience. CB an massive max dmg of 1067. Mec was dmg at 2k-4,5k with 75% CB.
Solo-ing the ubers is hard with a frenzy, cause of the many minions. Howling them away is he key, but if you can get lifetap, that's the best. I was planning for a Grief, but then the reset came along... :mad:
I wasn't strong enough to solo, but with a necro friend of mine that was kind enough to put a life tap on him, we killed them...

Does anyone have experience with a Berserker baba with the ubers???

bladesyz

Jul 8, 2005
Bloodraven's Tomb
ksh938 said:
So what do you do to address this issue? Or are you ok with killing so slowly? I mean, if normal Baal takes you a while, how do you deal with NM and Hell bosses??

To be honest, there's nothing much I can do. I just don't run Baal with him. The other bosses are easy enough to kill, but it takes a barb forever to get to them anyway, my sorc and enigma necro is so much better at it.

I mainly use him to run pindle and pits, as he is still a tank, and can run these safely most of the time.

ksh938

Aug 16, 2004
bladesyz said:
To be honest, there's nothing much I can do. I just don't run Baal with him. The other bosses are easy enough to kill, but it takes a barb forever to get to them anyway, my sorc and enigma necro is so much better at it.

I mainly use him to run pindle and pits, as he is still a tank, and can run these safely most of the time.

Yeah, I play primarily with a single element sorc (either cold or light) so I have some good support. Just wish I could kill faster / more effectively.

Anyone else have much luck with an effective AND efficient hell solo Barb?

Davie.

Nov 23, 2004
New York
Heres effective and rapage. Ebotd Great poleaxe, Guillames face (35%cb 15 ds, one of the best pvm barb hats), laying of hands or rends with cb, Chains of honor or enigma, whatever belt you want, Highlords wrath, gores or tri-res boots, 2x ravenfrosts or leech ring with stats, res, ar. You will devastate any monster in your path =).

luis19

Mar 28, 2004
i used my pvp bvc barb, standard gear:
berber coa
ebotz/beast
2x ravens
highlords
high resist boots
duress
tgods (not really for the sorb, but to equip gear w/o enigma)
switch: 1xdoom (my bo wep), 1x lifetap wand.

switch beast as the main weapon and use conc or turn into werebear and use regular attack (faster but interruptable).

they go dont pretty fast and you dont die due to high life/ decent resist/ dr/ and lifetap. also if too many monsters surround you, u can leap a few times to push them back a bit.

i'd say a barb built around 100% CB with high resist and at least 4k life should take them out faster.

rikstaker

Jun 8, 2004
Toronto
have a gravel of pain on switch,the level 8 amp charges last about 30 seconds-they'll take more raw dmg & also cb damage.

Rik

Jun 29, 2005
California
newerest said:
The only thing I have against IK is no shield. With that said, IK is a very good set.

The way to kill the ubers is with lots of crushing blow, you also need a shield with maxblock to get survive easily.

The common setup that I see is this (ladder)

Grief zerker + storm shield
Angelics
Fort or enigma
verdungo's
Drac's
Gore riders
as many +life charms as you can.

that setup defiaetly does not work, the resistsnaces are too low

Nov 6, 2003
No class that relies on Leech can take on all 3 monsters and live without lifetap..unless of course you have other tankers, distractions in order to keep the pressure off.

Cb, Ow, Ds, slow, Decripfy, cold dmg, static etc, are all mods you need. Find a way to apply these in rapid fashion and you will be fine.

Do not take on all 3 together..not even 2..isolate each and take them out. Adjust gear for each monster if need be. Have funs.

Jun 6, 2005
This is my setup for killing any bosses or just about anything in general with my barb:

Ebotd cb
SS
Arreats
Dungos
Dracs
Fort
Gores
Crescent Moon
Raven Frost and Carrion Wind

Prebuffing on switch and in inventory.

With this setup my barb tanked Hell Baal so easily i felt that i was facing Norm Baal :lol:

Souljer

Jul 5, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
DarthStephinus said:
This is my setup for killing any bosses or just about anything in general with my barb:

Ebotd cb
SS
Arreats
Dungos
Dracs
Fort
Gores
Crescent Moon
Raven Frost and Carrion Wind

Prebuffing on switch and in inventory.

With this setup my barb tanked Hell Baal so easily i felt that i was facing Norm Baal :lol:
Uber Tristram Prime Evils are not your standard bosses...

nddaniel

Jul 3, 2003
Visit site
Just finished soloing the ubers in Tristram with my WWBarb. They were not nearly as hard to beat as I had expected. I circled around Tristram and separated them. Killed them one by one.

Gear:
Guillime Face(not sure of spelling)
Archon Fortitude
EBOTDZ
Umed StormShield
Dracul Gloves
Resist Boots
Wisp Protector Ring
Ravenfrost Ring
Highlords Ammy
Thundergods Belt
Life and Resist Small Charms
Anni Charm

Max Whirlwind, Ax Mastery, BO, Shout, 1 point in resists, other 1 point req.

Strength Enuf for Equipment, Dex Enuf for Max Block, No Mana, Rest of Stat Points in Vita.

With this set-up, absolutely zero problem killing the ubers fairly quick and never even came close to dying, although some have said that it gets harder the more times you try them. Sadly, no Barb charm, got a Sorc charm. Heck, my sorc needs it worse than my barb anyway I guess. BTW, I had a TON of Lightning resists and from what I've heard, this is critical for Uber Mephisto. Ihad like 90 resists and 40 absorb so I never even saw my health go down againt her.

This is my first post. I'll try not to be so long winded next time :)

Bigrob

Banned
May 20, 2005
????
u need to stack resist against uber meph. Even with lifetap, u will die faster than u can leech ur life back.

dracul is pretty useless on pvm ww barb, since ww wont trigger the lifetap. Use either steelrend, craft glove, or disciple glove.

duress is better than fort, that 15%cb will drain the bosses' life incredibly fast, to half health. Only problem with duress is it has lower res.

use wizardspike, since most of the monsters there u cant leech, you will like the mana (skeleton, immune phyic, other undead monsters)

Keep a lifetap wand and amp wand on switch, or use charge on marrowwalk.

beast will do better than grief when against bosses. If ur rich, the best weapon is 5s rune master with 3x 40/15 and berber.

IMO, uber baal is harder than uber meph. (since he got all physic immune monsters around him, all of them drains ur mana when hit) ur barb will be soon out of mana, so use some %dtm mod on ur gears.

Locke07

Dec 27, 2004
Ohio
My friend brought out is frenzy barb when he heard of the ubers. Equiped it with a Last wish zerker and a grief zerker, combined with gaulumes which was enough cb. Then the rest of the gear was for servivablity like COH and resisit everything. He packed on enough light charms to keep his light resi 75 and his cold resi around 50 with mephs conivc. He took out baal and diablo easy making sure life tap was casted either with dracs or a wand. Then came meph which he casted life tap and went to town... needless to say 1-2 minutes latter he was looking at a pally hellfire charm.