• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

ATMA map numbers

Atil

Feb 9, 2005
Halifax, UK
ATMA map numbers

One of my characters has a very good Normal Durance map with the Waypoint in the next room to the stairs. I noted the map seed number from the ATMA character screen for future reference (although I am not sure how to use the seed command to regenerate the map once I have changed difficulty :eek: ).

Out of interest, I then created a new character from ATMA and they had the exact same map seed. Does ATMA always generate map seeds based on the previous character opened, or is this just sheer luck?

Masas

Jun 27, 2004
Lithuania
The game generates the seed randomly, when you create a character, host a mp game, change the difficulty, etc.

Shagsbeard

Jul 12, 2004
Central California Coast
If you got the exact same map seed on a second character it's far more likely you've left the -seed flag on your shortcut accidentally than gotten the same seeds randomly. Check your shortcut.

parawizard

Jul 10, 2004
Shagsbeard said:
If you got the exact same map seed on a second character it's far more likely you've left the -seed flag on your shortcut accidentally than gotten the same seeds randomly. Check your shortcut.

That would be my guess... ahem :rolleyes: :lol: but at the same time hes saying that he doesnt know how to use seeds. It could be that atma creates characters with a logged seed? :/

A bounce fabric softner just fell out of my sleave no wonder my sholders been so damn itchy today :lol:

Atil

Feb 9, 2005
Halifax, UK
Shagsbeard said:

parawizard is right, I've never used the seed flag/command. My shortcut is as pure as Blizzard made it. I only took an interest in the map number because of the proximity of the Waypoint and stairs.

parawizard said:
A bounce fabric softner just fell out of my sleave no wonder my sholders been so damn itchy today :lol:

Was it an Elite Unique Softener?

Thrugg

Jun 23, 2003
San Francisco CA
Atil is right. Characters generated in atma have the same "random" seed every time. Which in 1.10 (and presumably 1.11) gives you a really good map for Meph and not a bad map for the jungle either. This has been known about for a while but is not normally mentioned because it is verging on an exploit (although most players proabbly can't remember the entire map in their heads to exploit it). The Doc recommends you start a char in the game and then immediately save out if you want to start twinked. Creation within Atma should just be for muling.

ricrestoni

Jul 29, 2003
Sao Paulo, Brazil
On topic, I believe that if you log in an MP game with multiple characters, all of them will have the same map seed. Is that right? If so, I believe it could be a heck of a cheesy exploit.

Thrugg

Jun 23, 2003
San Francisco CA
You do all get the same map, but you get the same new map, you don't share the host's or anything like that. I don't really see how you can exploit that unless you happen to get a nice map in an MP game, evevryone can hang onto it.