• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Are we high and mighty?

Luckymofo

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Are we high and mighty?

I read some of these banned threads due to a certain mh and some of rev's posts toward the mh users. Yes, the mh users did have it coming and may have deserved the consequences, but some admitted it. After reading some of their losses, should people like rev kick them when they're down? Is this how ''civilized society'' is? Do we have to act so high and mighty just because we're legit?

note: I really wish I could seriously maim high and mighty people who kick people when they're down (unless the victim really deserved it)...I don't think this note is considered flame...

Yima

Aug 1, 2005
Sweden
The victims really DID deserve it, because the real victims were not the people using the hacks, but the ones that suffered from the flawed economy the hacks have brought to the world of D2. So, what's been going on is a lot of MH users and dupers kicking on the legit players (indirect, sure, but still kicking). When these hack users get banned, I think they deserve a bit of "ha ha, you got pwned".

Just my 2 el:s ;)

Jun 2, 2004
France
Luckymofo said:
I don't think this note is considered flame...
No, but I don't think it's very constructive too... ;) How many times have I been flamed in-game by 12-years old kiddies who say I'm a noob because I don't use MH, and thus I can't see their stuff when dueling, I can't teleport directly to the goal, etc... etc... ?? Now it's our turn to flame... Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. And when you cheat, you have to assume the consequences :p.

Crashlander

Feb 25, 2005
The bottom of the spiral
I wouldn't worry about it m8. Basically every gaming forum in the world has its holier than thou posters with itchy reply fingers. The key is to just completely ignore them. Let them flame and spout their self righteous crap but if no-one's listening they're wasting their time right? Everyone in the gaming community has used a cheat at some point in their lives, even if its just an infinite lives cheat on R-type on the amstrad cpc years ago ;)

Best one ever is the guy who waits for you to post in the wrong section, then jumps down your throat screaming that you're an idiot, and demanding admins move this thread IMMEDIATELY!! Like it really affects his life that much :D
Or those who are sadly quite good at the game, but believe this makes them superior human beings....
Sigh.... :rolleyes:

middleman35

Sep 30, 2004
Not to mention that anyone posting on such strongly non-hack/dupe boards as these expecting sympathy is obviously a bit misguided. You want sympathy, go post on hacker boards and take solace in the fact that some other sap probably lost more than u did.

ediot

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
nl
And worst of all is:
probably most of these people used some other program in 1.09 or 1.10.
they just didnt find a clean new version, or waited for some new version of the old they used.
my guess: if they did this mass-ban in about 1 month, all those who are saying "i am legit" would be banned too. cause the old programms would be made then.....

ofcourse this is not to all(there are some real "legit" players around), but my guess is...... most of them.

Luckymofo

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Well, I don't have it in me to laugh at those who deserve it, must be my nature or some crap. Thanks for the replies. Now I know not everyone has holier than thou attitude...

Holtzhammer

Aug 2, 2005
Kaplan
www.myspace.com
Sigh, In one way or another everyone that plays b'net has either directly benifited from MH, or indirectly, i.e: Thoes who bot directly gain items and/or runes on the spot. Indirectly: With such a influx of items, the laws of suppy and demand come into play, therefore thoes items once thought too godly to be obtained, are now within a reasonable reach. And anyone that is above lvl 85 from season 2 has benifited from the countless Hammy-bots that ran hell baal runs. For thoes who;s feelings have been hurt by some 12-year old calling you a noob b/c you didnt have MH..Grow up, one day they will. Either way this mass-ban plays out, diablo is screwed.

Anyone else wonder if blizz introduced the lader season 2 runewords and this massive mh ban to totally destroy the game, and cause more people to go to WoW? From an economic standpoint, Wow is more profitable than hosting free, online play, such as d2 and its conterparts.

rev129

Nov 17, 2003
All Over
Luckymofo said:
I read some of these banned threads due to a certain mh and some of rev's posts toward the mh users. Yes, the mh users did have it coming and may have deserved the consequences, but some admitted it. After reading some of their losses, should people like rev kick them when they're down? Is this how ''civilized society'' is? Do we have to act so high and mighty just because we're legit?

note: I really wish I could seriously maim high and mighty people who kick people when they're down (unless the victim really deserved it)...I don't think this note is considered flame...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/ArmyBaller/thsarcasm.gif

Luckymofo said:
but some admitted it...

So this makes it alright? NOT, In the user agreement that YOU agreed to, it clearly stats what can and will happen.

Luckymofo said:
After reading some of their losses, should people like rev kick them when they're down? ...

First off, this is a game, if ANYTHING someone tells you while sitting behind a computer keyboard bothers you, then there is a problem in itself.

Second off, they CHEATED, simple as that, it's the FACTS!! I say kick um!!! LOL...

Luckymofo said:
note: I really wish I could seriously maim high and mighty people who kick people when they're down (unless the victim really deserved it)...I don't think this note is considered flame......

How can you call these folks that CHEATED and got caught "Victims?"

I bash on people in good fun, like I said earlyer, this is a GAMEING FORUM, were talking about objects that only exist in GAME land. If I hurt anyones feelings well, I'm sorry.

J/K, I'm not sorry, cheaters deserve what they get.

Myrakh-2

Jun 23, 2004
flyff.cable.nu
Many people here have a split personality, basically.

On one hand, they see themselves as being all holy, because they don't use maphack or bots.

On the other hand, those holy people accept nothing less than Enigma on every char and HR runewords on mercs and every char that can use them. It's become "standard" gear before the reset, and will soon become standard gear again.

They might be holier than everyone else, but they choose the ignore the source of the runes they use... but just because you paid 4-5 ISTs for a HR doesn't make that HR any more legit.

And, frankly, I never cared whether the items I purchased for my pgems came from bots or players --- they are the same items, after all. And having "meph farming bots" will, if it affects prices at all, make things more affordable...

Dredd

D3 Off Topic Moderator
Jan 3, 2004
Your subconscious
Luckymofo said:

I have zero sympathy for cheaters who get caught. Be that as it may, I don't feel an urge to jump into every thread and rub it in. As far as I'm concerned, that's flaming.

I sometimes participate in the "mortality of" threads when they come along, but only when I feel there's a point to be made that someone else hasn't all ready covered.

Frosty_The_Snowman said:
Now it's our turn to flame...

That never accomplishes anything. All it does is make people feel defensive which in turn leads to long, stupid flamewars that anger the moderators, the regulars here, and probably frightens off newbies and lurkers too. Worse, acting like a turd sometimes gives off the impression to others that that's acceptable behavior around here - and it isn't.

To everybody: Think twice before posting personal insults, flamebait and the like. Nobody is entitled to abuse other posters here no matter what the circumstances are. Your post count, pal status, or join date? None of that matters. In the eyes of the moderators, everybody is an equal here.

dang79

Feb 18, 2004
Not that I have any sympathy for those you got banned. Wait, I do actually, because that just sucks.

I have said before that we do get a little bit too jumpy on here, and I still think I'm right.

Just like it really gets on your nerves in game when somebody calls everybody a noob for the smallest reason, it is possible for us to get too carried away and make it just as bad here in calling people nonlegit.

Either way, it is being overly and unnecessarily judgemental. The forums here have their stand and the rules behind them. Anybody playing within those rules is welcome here.

Maphack use is condoned in the sense that you are not banned for posting screenies that contain it. The pimping of it is however not condoned.

Mass dupes, gale grasps etc are not allowed, yet high runes are.

Truth be told, these boards are not puritan, and I'm not sure that they were ever meant to be. This is still a cool place where you can find people to help you with uber trist without jipping your hellfire. Where you can still find people to drop trade with.

Not being puritan does not take anything away from these boards. It is still a cool place either way.

Let us keep it that way.

Orphan

May 23, 2004
I have little sympathy for the people who were banned. I'm a very strong believer in that fact that you have a choice to do things. These people had their choice, and I had mine.

These people made their choice to use third party programs; they benefitted from these programs for a long time now, and now alot of people are ruined because of it. They need to accept the consequences. To do otherwise, is just plain immature.

I made my choice not to use third party programs a long time ago. I've trudged along for a long time (even quitting bnet a fair while ago, until the reset of the new ladder) without the aid of any hacks of any sort. When push came to shove, I moved to single player. I was untouched by the recent bannings. Infact, I managed to get several more character names, but whether it's linked to the bannings or not, I don't know.

I welcome the recent bannings, and I wouldn't be against it if Blizzard did this sort of thing again. I guess I find it a little amusing. To me, it's like someone cutting their hand on some glass while trying to break into a house.

These people made a choice a long time ago to use third party programs. There's nothing they can say to me now that would would make me sympathetic.

BlastDuke

Jul 31, 2003
Earth, Sol system
Visit site
No, I have no sympathy for cheaters because they have no sympathy for me. They ruin the game (corrupting the ladder economy, duping, ...) , therefore making my $$$ somehow worthless I have paid for this game to play legit and have fun.

So a CD-key ban is a logic consequence for me - their spent $$$ become worthless too in some way.

Banned users please note: You can still play in private networks and dupe and hack and cheat there with your friends -have fun!! But stay out of the Realms, and keep away from me!

Jun 2, 2004
France
Dredd said:
That never accomplishes anything. All it does is make people feel defensive which in turn leads to long, stupid flamewars that anger the moderators, the regulars here, and probably frightens off newbies and lurkers too. Worse, acting like a turd sometimes gives off the impression to others that that's acceptable behavior around here - and it isn't.
One point for you on which I agree. But I don't like flaming. I just wanted to say that the cheaters have always what they deserve, sooner or later. For me that is flaming, and as you can see, it is nor aggressive, neither sarcastic.

Wurmer

Jun 23, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Myrakh-2 Many people here have a split personality, basically.

On one hand, they see themselves as being all holy, because they don't use maphack or bots.

On the other hand, those holy people accept nothing less than Enigma on every char and HR runewords on mercs and every char that can use them. It's become "standard" gear before the reset, and will soon become standard gear again.

They might be holier than everyone else, but they choose the ignore the source of the runes they use... but just because you paid 4-5 ISTs for a HR doesn't make that HR any more legit.

I couldn't agree more. That's a fact that many people make the choice to ignore the origine of what they are trading for but for anyone who has been playing this game long enough it's very obvious that the providing source is far from being legit indeed. Owing hacked or duped items does not make you a lot less guilty than the one who commited the offense in the first place.

Mr_Grimm

Jun 28, 2003
England
Visit site
i generally don't care about people expressing glee about people like me getting banned. but consider: i never botted, duped or used any other exploit, i simply like having the map because the game was getting a little boring to me. also consider that it's not keeping me or a lot of the other "cheaters" off bnet, because like me they probably have 3 or more cd keys (i myself only lost one cd key to the ban). another thing, all of my old accounts remain from non ladder, and the only accounts that got removed of mine were accounts which were 2-3 days old which i started after the reset.

if this gives you joy, then i think you're an idiot personally. the victory is hollow. the way i see it right now is that it's too little too late for blizz, and this will only really get rid of a few "script kiddies" who think and act like hackers. the real hackers are still out there getting ready to dupe more runes and bot like hell.

even after saying this, i could be wrong, but either way i feel that some people around these forums are posting without any real consideration for other players. most people around here who got banned for cheating KNOW that they cheated, there's no need to act the way they do on the bnet forums where every other post is "ROFL U GOT PWND BY NETTER, GG".

Pendragon2U

Jun 16, 2004
I have no problems with mh. Some people play to duel and they want to high end duel. They do not want to just play the game out and telly all about the screen looking for the entrance to the next level. Those guys play the game for a different reason than many of the so-called "legit" players. It is a different perspective on the game and is one that never bothered me in the least.

I don't know a single person that has not benefited in some way from mh users and/or botters that plays on the realms.

What some 12 year old punk types on a screen during a game does not bother me in the least. If it bothers you don't go in there and duel the kid. Gather your "legit" friends together and duel with them.

I personally think bliz should think about offering their own version of maphack for a small fee. One that doesn't show you gear or monsters, just the map. Then you can either have it or not and no one can feel any more righteous than the other.

-Pendragon