• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

After a year, I'm back, and I'll be returning to lld and pking in full force.

rettet181

May 28, 2004
After a year, I'm back, and I'll be returning to lld and pking in full force.

Hello, I'm quite sure none of you will remember me, but I was a regular on this board about a year ago. I quit then, and like everyone does, I have returned (I think this is my third quit and return...). Anyway, I was a rather avid LLDer and Pker back then (entirely legit of course, I hate all forms of cheating), and I miss the thrill of the hunt. I'm sure I'll make a copy of my favorite character ever later on (a lvl 14 charger who had a stash of ears before he met his demise, to a level 85), but first, i want to experiment a bit.

I've researched into the possibilities of a sorc lld/pk, but it looks a bit bleak. The idea of a low-level sorc killing someone sounds rather appealing to me, considering it's completely unexpected, and a 19 sorc going hostile on you would hardly make you afraid. Unfortuanately, I've lost all of my testing tools during the quit and transition to 1.11, so testing the builds is not much of a possibility. That is why I'm here, there are people much more experienced in these matters then I am.

At level 21 or so, with max Fire Ball and Firebolt, and with a +3 FB Leaf, tarnhelm/Lore, and any other +skill equip available that low (can't remember, a year isn't good for the information I aquired so long ago), I estimate being able to dish out at least 300-400 damage, possibly more. That's only a measly 50 damage, enough to kill 15's maybe, but that's just lame. Blizzard is a possibility, but I don't see the synergies being enough to boost it to adequate levels. Lightning may work, and I see it as perhaps the greatest possibility, but I'm not sure. As I said I'm hard pressed to test these builds, so I can't know what would work out.

Advice will be greatly appreciated, and sorry for the long-winded post.

PhatTrumpet

Jul 18, 2003
South Portland, Maine
Visit site
Just used the calculator...

perfect gear at lvl 21 with full rush = 699 average Fireball damage = 116.5 average damage before resists.

I say go for it.

To contrast, Ice Blast would do 616.5 at lvl 21, 847 at lvl 25. Lightning would do about 250 at lvl 21.

rettet181

May 28, 2004
What about a lvl 24 tele/merc/enchant build? I've heard of these done, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it. Of course, I'm also a little behind on equipment, so I may need advice there. IIRC, the Mercs damage is only reduced by half, so the potential is rather high. Using an A2 merc with a 6 socket eth pike filled with +15's or ED jewels, a 4 socket goth plate filled with ED/Max, and a 3 socket helm with them, I'd imagine you could reach 1000+ damage. The Enchant seems rather worthless then, at only 90 or so damage, so maybe it'd be better to get teleport as high as possible, considering I'd be porting all over the place, and at that level mana is always a problem. What do you guys think?

I think this is perhaps the highest damage build I could make for a sorc, so I just may go with it. Input is greatly appreciated.

Jun 26, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
yeah.... a telemerc sorc is the only way to get kills for a sorc below level 24... but after you start getting masteries (lvl 30), the outlook starts to get better and better.

i think kime had a level 31 or 34 or so blizzard sorc that NO ONE WOULD DUEL because it kicked so much *** =P they would all be like "nty my resists suck"

rettet181

May 28, 2004
Yeah I think I'm going to go with a Telemerc sorc. Now the only problem is getting hold of the neccessary equipment. I just restarted, so I'm left with nothing...Oh well, I'll get there. Someone please remind me, can you use the socket quest on Ethereal items and still end up with 6 sockets? Then I have to find 7 maxes, which may be a bit difficult. Fortunately my sorcs actual equipment will probably be a 4-rubied goth plate, a 3-rubied helm, a Bone Shield of Deflection with two diamonds, Bloodfists, and I can't remember what else. Life gear, which isn't really expensive, especailly when compared to, say, a max-laden chargadin.

Aerath

Aug 5, 2003
www.embers.nu
Ethereal will get the max amount of sockets for that items, same as non-eth.

Make sure your pole can get 6 sockets first before blowing that socketing quest though.

Harvest Normal Cows for Charms and Jewels. Even if you don't find +15s all the time, even +12s or so should still work.

I'd probably go for a 3 socket breastplate (less str needed).

Matt

Jun 22, 2003
Vermont
I made one of these, a little higher level last season. I went level 30, mostly because of all the tasty gear avaliable at level 29 (viper, pcrown, string, whistans/rhyme, sojs (though Im not rich enough for them, its worth mentioning...).

Also, since mana is a problem, I went with an eth insight partizan on my merc (theyre a pain to get, but well worth it in my opinion) The insight essentially gives virtually unlimited mana, with very nice damage. As you said, +max everywhere on the merc.

As for the rest, I did go the enchant route (I found other skills to be rather useless at that level without specalizing in them, which I obviously wasnt) I basically maxed enchant, fire mastry and warmth for my level. My few remaining skills, I put into whatever... a point infrost nova to spam at non CBF opponents to stun+freeze, I had some in fireball and hydra too... Basically, I had a nasty merc, with a none too shabby enchant, which did all hte work.

People saw me spamming hydra, frost nova, fireball, I think even a point in CB, and they had no idea what I was and decided it was weak. I got myself quite a few ears with it.

If you go lower level, I'd skip the enchant, drop quite a few points in warmth, as oyu wont have insight, and spread your points out. as others have said, its not too effective to try to go with a damage spell. In my book, its better to have your opponent not know what you are, then to do another 50 damage per duel...

Good luck.

-Matt